harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Golf: The 19th Hole

5 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

I think pipe smoking bowls player David Bryant is still with us and knocking on a bit now.

Yes he's on the list (in fact when I saw Bryan Barnes photo pipe in mouth my thought process must have been similar to yours because I immediately thought, wonder if David Bryant is still alive?)

• Like 1

Lee Trevino is 80 today:birthday:

56 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Lee Trevino is 80 today:birthday: 

Yes, but how old is his wife? :evil2:

• Haha 1

Jo Ann Washam, a three-time winner on the LPGA tour, has died.  She was 69. Washam played on the tour between 1973 and 1989 and became the first female golfer to shoot two holes-in-one during a tournament.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/golf/jo-ann-washam-three-time-lpga-tour-winner-from-auburn-dies-at-age-69/

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 23:33, YoungWillz said:

Twitterperch full of reports of the death of golf course designer Alice Dye.

Along with her hubby Pete, many championship courses. I recognise her from Rory McIlroy's PGA Golf (EA Sports) as she and Pete are name checked several times.

Looks like renowned golf course designer Pete Dye has died according to Twitter:

10 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Looks like renowned golf course designer Pete Dye has died according to Twitter:

A DDP pick! So keep watching the skies...or QOs.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, msc said:

Guess the clue was in the name.....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

Here you go

• Thanks 1

Interestingly, I came to post Dye's obit, meaning the search box didn't perform it's basic function. 
How the F is he a pick - gotta be a golf theme team.
SC

John Merchant, the first black person to be elected to the USGA's executive committee and a former unpaid counsel to Tiger Woods, died Thursday at age 87 after a long illness, his daughter, Susan, announced on Facebook.

"My dear Pop left peacefully to play the back nine," she wrote. "My heart is heavy and I will miss him beyond measure."

In the aftermath of the Shoal Creek controversy at the 1990 PGA Championship, former USGA president Sandy Tatum made it "a personal mission" to diversify the association's Executive Committee. In 1992, he recruited Merchant, a lawyer and consumer counsel for the state of Connecticut, making him the first black person to be elected to the USGA's most powerful committee.

Merchant had been a pioneer before. He was the first black graduate of the University of Virginia law school, arriving on campus in 1955, one year after Brown vs. Board of Education.

SC

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Doug Sanders, perennial runner-up on the PGA majors, dead at 86: https://www.pressherald.com/2020/04/12/sports-digest-four-time-golf-major-runner-up-doug-sanders-dies-at-86/

DDP Pick.

Already an AP copy and paste from the Mail

6 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Doug Sanders, perennial runner-up on the PGA majors, dead at 86: https://www.pressherald.com/2020/04/12/sports-digest-four-time-golf-major-runner-up-doug-sanders-dies-at-86/

DDP Pick.

Career defined by one of the most famous single-shot golf chokes, unlike the hole-choke by Jean van de Velde or the round-choke by Norman. 

If non-golf fans remembered him at all, he'd be Bill Buckner.

5 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Career defined by one of the most famous single-shot golf chokes, unlike the hole-choke by Jean van de Velde or the round-choke by Norman. 

If non-golf fans remembered him at all, he'd be Bill Buckner.

I'm still giving that "honor" to Scott Hoch, whose missed putt to win the 1989 Masters was from just two feet away...Hoch rhymes with choke!  

Now that I think about it, if you really want to see a choke, it doesn't get much worse than the 2012 Kraft Nabisco Championship, where I.K. Kim missed a 14-inch putt to win.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MrWonderful said:

I'm still giving that "honor" to Scott Hoch, whose missed putt to win the 1989 Masters was from just two feet away...Hoch rhymes with choke!  

Now that I think about it, if you really want to see a choke, it doesn't get much worse than the 2012 Kraft Nabisco Championship, where I.K. Kim missed a 14-inch putt to win.

That was a beauty, my joint favourite with JvdV - chokes are so much more enjoyable when it's by a journeyman who blew their one and only chance at glory. Handing the trophy to a Brit made it even better, even if it was to a cunt like Faldo.

Brings out the couch-potato-warrior sadist in me, which is a dreadful character trait :evil2:

3 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

That was a beauty, my joint favourite with JvdV - chokes are so much more enjoyable when it's by a journeyman who blew their one and only chance at glory. Handing the trophy to a Brit made it even better, even if it was to a cunt like Faldo.

Brings out the couch-potato-warrior sadist in me, which is a dreadful character trait :evil2:

Ha, Kim's missed putt is the worst missed putt under the circumstances I have ever seen, but van de Velde's choke is the biggest collapse I have ever seen.  It was just so unnecessary.  All he had to do was hit a couple of mid-irons, hit a short iron onto the green, and two-putt for a simple bogey.  And he still would've had a shot to spare.  

11 minutes ago, MrWonderful said:

Ha, Kim's missed putt is the worst missed putt under the circumstances I have ever seen, but van de Velde's choke is the biggest collapse I have ever seen.  It was just so unnecessary.  All he had to do was hit a couple of mid-irons, hit a short iron onto the green, and two-putt for a simple bogey.  And he still would've had a shot to spare.  

I've missed shorter, and in tournaments on about the same level (par) with the Nabisco Champs - this is women's golf, right? :unsure:

^

When you accumulate $9.6MM in career earnings for playing golf, let me know.