harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Golf: The 19th Hole

9 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Argentinian Golfer Eduardo Romero dead at 67

That's a bit of a shock. Unless they die in plane crashes, golfers normally live to be a lot older. 

Cross posting cuz of its importance.

Oakland Hills Country Club 102-year old clubhouse, the second largest wooden structure in Michigan, is burning down to kindling as we speak.  Ryder Cup, US Open, etc. held here numerous times.

Video from the Oakland Hills Country Club in Bloomfield Township shows the massive building on fire, despite wet weather.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2022/02/17/video-oakland-hills-country-club-ablaze-in-bloomfield-township/

Fucking awful.

SC

• Facepalm 1

Can we add a zzz reaction? Been overdue for years.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Cross posting cuz of its importance.

Oakland Hills Country Club 102-year old clubhouse, the second largest wooden structure in Michigan, is burning down to kindling as we speak.  Ryder Cup, US Open, etc. held here numerous times.

Video from the Oakland Hills Country Club in Bloomfield Township shows the massive building on fire, despite wet weather.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2022/02/17/video-oakland-hills-country-club-ablaze-in-bloomfield-township/

Fucking awful.

SC

Ah yes, because things you post are very important whereas when someone else post something you’re unfamiliar with they don’t even deserves a single like. Twat

• Like 1

I'm actually more saddened by the loss of this clubhouse than most celebrities.... depending on how many historically significant golf artifacts have been lost.

• Haha 1

The clubhouse wasn't really a golf player, should it even be in this thread? It was a centenarian however...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

#2 ranked female golfer in the world, Nelly Korda (only 23), diagnosed with a blood clot and is receiving treatment at home.  She is the attractive young champion women's golf needs so wishing her a very speedy recovery.

From her twitter account:

image.png.6ac332ecfafe03d77f8b53da7beabad0.png

18 hours ago, Salmon Mousse said:

2021 Derby Dead Pool: 1st Place (15 hits, 244 points)

Salmon - your signature is wrong - should be 144 points.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Salmon - your signature is wrong - should be 144 points.

Thank you.  Glad somebody finally pointed that mistake out.

Lu Liang-huan, Taiwanese golfer who was runner-up to Lee Trevino in the 1971 British Open has died aged 85. 

• Like 1

Just looking at the honourary start of the Masters. Jack Nicklaus 82 has certainly got a bit frail. You wouldn't think Gary Player was 86. Wouldn't be shocked if Nicklaus went before Player. Player is in tremendous shape espeically for a man of his age

Tom Watson at 72 won't be threatening the DL for a while yet

54 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Just looking at the honourary start of the Masters. Jack Nicklaus 82 has certainly got a bit frail. You wouldn't think Gary Player was 86. Wouldn't be shocked if Nicklaus went before Player. Player is in tremendous shape espeically for a man of his age

Has Watson taken Trevino's place? Agreed on Player. With a fair wind he should be able to get well into the 90s maybe even further. 

2 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Has Watson taken Trevino's place? Agreed on Player. With a fair wind he should be able to get well into the 90s maybe even further. 

Trevino never won the Masters. Think it's only former Winners. Elder being the exception last year

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Trevino never won the Masters. Think it's only former Winners. Elder being the exception last year

The original honorary starters, Jock Hutchison and Fred McLeod, were not Masters winners.  Hutchison won the 1920 PGA and 1921 Open Championship, while McLeod won the 1908 U.S. Open.  They were friends of tournament founder, Bobby Jones, and used to tee off, play al many holes as they felt like, then withdraw officially from the tournament.  Jock lived to be 93 and McLeod 94.  Trevino and Clifford Roberts never saw eye to eye so there was a time, during his prime, in which Lee would skip the tournament altogether.  He theoretically could be invited to be a starter but I doubt he would be, as they've plenty of aging former winners to consider first, or that he'd accept if asked.

16 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Jack has definitely been slipping in recent years into the territory of someone who just looks like an old man, and moves like an old man.  (My dad is 80 which is "old", but I don't put him in that category, as he can still hit drives 240 yards, believe it or not.)  I don't think his death is imminent or anything, but I agree that he is much more frail compared to where he was about 4 or 5 years ago.  He looks like he can barely hit it over 125 yards now when you watch him swing the club, and keep in mind that they practice for that moment so that is basically the best that he can do now.  Player, at 86, has significantly more length and clubhead speed on his swing, and he is absolutely in far better condition than Nicklaus is.  I would have to give him strong odds to outlive Nicklaus, no doubt about it.  I don't think Nicklaus makes it to 90.  And hey, that's still not a bad run for someone who was born when he was.  I don't like his politics but he's a true gentleman of the game and an obvious legend, as only Tiger has a claim as being greater than him in the game's history.  His win in the '86 Masters is one of my earliest sports memories that I can remember vividly, and he even made a couple of spirited runs in future Masters tournaments when he was much older.  I'll be sad when he passes.  

One other thing, my eyebrows will be raised when I hear other golfers (whether some of his old contemporaries or current guys on Tour) start to talk about him wistfully and with some emotion.  Jack did that on TV talking about Arnold Palmer less than a year before he died, and I figured Arnie was in serious trouble.  

One of the founders of the LPGA Tour, Shirley Spork, dead at 94.  It was announced last month that she would be inducted in the LPGA Hall of Fame.  She is not, as far as I know, responsible for combining the fork and the spoon.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

One of the founders of the LPGA Tour, Shirley Spork, dead at 94.  It was announced last month that she would be inducted in the LPGA Hall of Fame.  She is not, as far as I know, responsible for combining the fork and the spoon.

She did not; the Canadian cellist Rebecca Foon did.

On 07/04/2022 at 14:55, Deathrace said:

From memory, it was Nicklaus, Player and Palmer for a while recently, Palmer just being present for the last couple, sat as the others teed off. Lee Elder filled the third spot last year and it seems Watson will join Nicklaus and Player for the next few years. Agree that Nicklaus is easily the frailest of the 3. Player looked great at the Par 3 on Wednesday and Watson looked good too. I'll never tire of reminding people that Tom Watson was a play off away from winning The Open at 59!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

From memory, it was Nicklaus, Player and Palmer for a while recently, Palmer just being present for the last couple, sat as the others teed off. Lee Elder filled the third spot last year and it seems Watson will join Nicklaus and Player for the next few years. Agree that Nicklaus is easily the frailest of the 3. Player looked great at the Par 3 on Wednesday and Watson looked good too. I'll never tire of reminding people that Tom Watson was a play off away from winning The Open at 59!

Bogeyed the 72nd hole to get Cink into the playoff, also, and his short iron approach was literally right at it.  He just misjudged how firm that green was in combination with how downwind it was playing, so his ball bounded long and he couldn't get up and down with the putter.  If he lands that shot 30-40 feet short of the pin, he wins the Claret Jug.  I'm still upset at how that ended!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MrWonderful said:

Bogeyed the 72nd hole to get Cink into the playoff, also, and his short iron approach was literally right at it.  He just misjudged how firm that green was in combination with how downwind it was playing, so his ball bounded long and he couldn't get up and down with the putter.  If he lands that shot 30-40 feet short of the pin, he wins the Claret Jug.  I'm still upset at how that ended!

I'm in my early 30s, and the idea that Tom Watson could've won a major when I was 20-odd seems fantastical, when you see footage of him duking it out with Nicklaus in the 70s. Mickelson broke the record at 50 when he won the PGA, Watson had nearly a decade on him! I never see Stewart Cink pop up without subliminally blaming him for ruining the greatest golf story ever.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

I'm in my early 30s, and the idea that Tom Watson could've won a major when I was 20-odd seems fantastical, when you see footage of him duking it out with Nicklaus in the 70s. Mickelson broke the record at 50 when he won the PGA, Watson had nearly a decade on him! I never see Stewart Cink pop up without subliminally blaming him for ruining the greatest golf story ever.

I believe Greg Norman was in serious contention at an Open Championship a few years ago after he had turned 60.  But he certainly didn't come as close as Watson did.  I mean, he just needed a par on the 72nd hole from the middle of the fairway with a short iron in his hands!  And he really did hit the absolute shot he wanted to hit, struck it purely, but he and the caddie just misjudged how far in front of the hole that shot needed to land.  Such a shame.  

2 hours ago, MrWonderful said:

Same.  Still bothers me.

Australian pro Jack Newton, who once lost The Open in a playoff to Tom Watson, dead at 72.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Australian pro Jack Newton, who once lost The Open in a playoff to Tom Watson, dead at 72.

RIP Jack.