harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Golf: The 19th Hole

According to golf twitter: Mac McLendon, who won 6 professional tournaments between 1968-1978 and is inducted into the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame, has died aged 76

• Like 2

Open Champions Dinner on last night.

Nicklaus, Trevino and Player all there so one would assume in reasonable health given they travelled (Trevino and Player both played a 4 hole event on Monday but notably Nicklaus didn't)

Greg Norman wasn't invited 

Screenshot_20220713-165219_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Nicklaus, Trevino and Player all there so one would assume in reasonable health given they travelled (Trevino and Player both played a 4 hole event on Monday but notably Nicklaus didn't)

What happened to the invitations of Messrs Ben Curtis and Todd Hamilton, the most nonentity champions this side of Paul Lawrie?

And in that 4-hole knockabout tourney (shades of a LIV future?) I was most impressed by the chap with one leg. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

What happened to the invitations of Messrs Ben Curtis and Todd Hamilton, the most nonentity champions this side of Paul Lawrie?

And in that 4-hole knockabout tourney (shades of a LIV future?) I was most impressed by the chap with one leg. 

Lawrie is there in the back row behind Watson and Morikawa.

As for Curtis this from last year. Still has 20 years of an exemption and yet seems to have little interest in it. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/12/ben-curtis-winner-2003-open-golf-royal-st-georges-sandwich

• Like 1

I know Lawrie was there; my point being if him then why not those other two journeymen. Maybe they did both get invited then, but didn’t fancy the tatties and neeps, and the who ‘the hell are you’ stares.

They could have added a chokers’ table in the corner: Van der Velde, Scott, Bjorn, Westwood and Mrs Doubtfire.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Tony Jacklin is a pretty big omission. Similar to Virginia Wade on the recent Tennis thread. 

Also unsurprisingly Tom Weiskopf not there. 

• Like 1

Hard to see much but Bob Charles looks decent for 86. Again, he must have flown a fair way to get there. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Tony Jacklin is a pretty big omission. Similar to Virginia Wade on the recent Tennis thread. 

Might just be case of Jacklin not being arsed going even with it being the 150 anniversary.He lives in Florida now. I suppose it's possible like with Navratilova at Wimbledon he was supposed to go but perhaps tested positive for Covid.

His son qualified for the US Open last month and he spoke about it

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/06/13/u-s-open-sean-jacklin-tony-jacklin/?taid=62a85c22802cad0001f8a6c7&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

• Like 1

On 13/07/2022 at 22:59, Deathrace said:

Tony Jacklin popped up on Sky Sports News earlier. Looks and sounds ok. Probably either just couldn't be arsed to come over which would be somewhat surprising given it was the 150th or perhaps had a minor(ish) brief illness (covid, stomach bug etc.)

• Like 1

On 13/07/2022 at 22:59, Deathrace said:

Tom Weiskopf being reported dead on Twitter - hoax or heartache?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Tom Weiskopf being reported dead on Twitter - hoax or heartache?

Report of the report, seemingly from Tom Watson on Tom Weiskopf: https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/report-1973-open-champion-tom-weiskopf-dies-aged-79

I'll admit an Open Champ from my childhood - rocked me on my slingbacks. RIP.

• Like 6

On 12/02/2022 at 15:55, Salmon Mousse said:

Near the beginning of today's CBS coverage of the Phoenix Open Jim Nantz gave an update on Tom Weiskopf, saying that he was doing great with his treatment and, in fact, there is "no sign of cancer".  So, take that for what it's worth.  Believe Harry Reid and Shintaro Ishihara both had the same update at one point.

Really nailed that reporting, Nantz

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Really nailed that reporting, Nantz

In fairness, that was over six months ago. Pancreatic cancer often appears to be cured and then comes back a few months later with deadly effect. It did the same to John Hurt. Evil disease. RIP Tom. 

• Like 1

Weiskopf was a hit for me.  Low-hanging fruit really, in picking an almost 80-year-old with pancreatic cancer.  He had a great line as a commentator on the Sunday broadcast of the 1986 Masters that Nicklaus went on to win.  As Jack was about to hit his tee shot on the par-3 16th, Jim Nantz, then a very young broadcaster just getting his start at CBS, asked Weiskopf what Jack might be feeling in that moment, noting that he hadn't experienced a stretch like that in a while.  And Weiskopf quipped "if I knew that, I would have won this tournament!"  It was great.  

• Like 1

It must have been the timing of the ‘feeling better’ reporting (possibly December?) because no one on my home DP had him despite full knowledge of Panc C.  I guess we all figured he could scoot through a 12-month period seeing as much older senators seemed to last nearly two years.

Weiskopf put together one of the great golf years ever.  RIP

SC

• Like 1

Peter Butler (wiki), English professional golfer, dead at 90.

Won the PGA Close Championship in 1963 and the French Open in 1968.

Oldest surviving Great Britain and Ireland Ryder Cup player.

DDP pick.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

DDP pick.

Ah yes, a hit for both golf theme teams

• Like 2

Double post cheerfully removed.  I'm thinking as slow as a senate candidate today.

• Like 1

On 17/10/2022 at 20:37, Ulitzer95 said:

DDP pick.

This.

• Like 2

No qualifying obit in over 2 weeks, mind you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, msc said:

No qualifying obit in over 2 weeks, mind you.

Even sectors of golf twitter have been slow to react.... which caused my hasty double post.

• Like 1

Ah indeed. I have a list on my phone for open QOs and saw Peter Butler yesterday there, and wondered what this was about. Have already forgotten about him...and it seems I'm not alone.

• Like 1