harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Golf: The 19th Hole

13 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Agreed, sportspeople, especially golfers, are sickeningly overpaid. 

I guess when you get 20000 folks to pay to see you do what you do you’ll have a legitimate beef.  Maybe you can even develop advertising revenue!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

I guess when you get 20000 folks to pay to see you do what you do you’ll have a legitimate beef.  Maybe you can even develop advertising revenue!  

Actually - no, never mind.  B) Carry on.

• Like 1

I notice that social-distancing conventions will be broken at the upcoming Memorial Tournament, and Jack Nicklaus (80) will shake the winner's hand as is tradition...

12 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I notice that social-distancing conventions will be broken at the upcoming Memorial Tournament, and Jack Nicklaus (80) will shake the winner's hand as is tradition...

Only if the player wants too though. Said he'll do a fist bump or elbow bump if the player offers that instead.

Don't think any player wants to take the miniscule risk of potentially helping in the death of the Golden Bear :lol:

• Like 1

Gordon J Brand, English golfer, former Ryder Cup player and runner-up to Greg Norman in the 1986 Open, has died aged 65.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time said:

Gordon J Brand, English golfer, former Ryder Cup player and runner-up to Greg Norman in the 1986 Open, has died aged 65.

A mere twelve months after his contemporary, Gordon Brand Jr. Similar age at death, similar superior-journeyman careers - they needed better brand awareness and now, dare I suggest, a rebrand.

On 11/09/2020 at 15:28, Banana said:

John Daly diagnosed with bladder cancer.

Nothing some alcohol can’t kill

16 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Cross posting here news of the dead of eight time Ryder Cup player Peter Alliss.

Voice of golf my entire life.

Not surprised somewhat given how he sounded during the Masters coverage. 

Very few "commentary greats" left. Barry Davies and Murray Walker. Motson to a lesser extent. 

• Like 1

Not complaining but his death would have been a perfect 19th hit for the list.

• Like 1

Amazed that that other voice of golf, Renton Laidlaw, has never seemingly been mentioned on the Forum and doesn't even have a Wiki page.

I'm assuming he's still alive though.

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Amazed that that other voice of golf, Renton Laidlaw, has never seemingly been mentioned on the Forum and doesn't even have a Wiki page.

I'm assuming he's still alive though.

Alive and well aged 81 it seems. Retired in 2014. Made appearances in 2018 and 2019 and there's some videos of him on YouTube.

Sad news about Alliss. He was on my long list as well as being a former DL pick. He taught Sean Connery to play golf for the scenes in Goldfinger!

• Like 2

On 01/02/2020 at 04:15, drunkasaskunk said:

I do not like the "Theme Team" game.

For me it serves very little purpose, except for . . . . 

- Inflating the total number of teams 

- sneaking in obscure picks that you are debating whether or not they will get a QO, but by fitting them in to a theme team denies a possible Unique hit if someone else picks them

showing off that you know how to spell Tom Weiskopf :angel5:

I imagine more people will try to spell Tom Weiskopf next year. He’s just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer:skull:

36 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I imagine more people will try to spell Tom Weiskopf next year. He’s just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer:skull:

Aww christ, going to be my brains biggest DDP Obit spelling anxiety attack since that sod Willz picked one of the Khrushchev's! :lol:

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, msc said:

Aww christ, going to be my brains biggest DDP Obit spelling anxiety attack since that sod Willz picked one of the Khrushchev's! :lol:

Oi!

You know, that was a bit of an inspired pick actually. He looked pretty far gone on a BBC Four documentary, turned out it was from a while ago and I thought, why not? Nobody else is going to pick him. Turned out a unique hit. There's been worse, some swami summat?

7 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Oi!

You know, that was a bit of an inspired pick actually. He looked pretty far gone on a BBC Four documentary, turned out it was from a while ago and I thought, why not? Nobody else is going to pick him. Turned out a unique hit. There's been worse, some swami summat?

I'm not bemoaning your deft unique picking, more his having three bloody H's in his surname!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

I before E except after TomW 

His name literally translates as 'Whitehead' if my less than GCSE German can be trusted.

14 minutes ago, msc said:

I'm not bemoaning your deft unique picking, more his having three bloody H's in his surname!

As a history teacher who's done the Cold War in the past, try getting a classful of 16 year olds to spell it even remotely correctly. :facepalm:

What I want to know is when pro golfers stopped wearing 'Rupert The Bear trousers ' and shoes with tassels.