harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Golf: The 19th Hole

1 minute ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Bruce Lietzke, DDP pick, loses fight against brain cancer aged 67. Was a member of the US's 81 Ryder Cup-winning team, so an obit should be along asap.

Think he was about the only member of the 1981 US Ryder Cup team who hadn’t (and didn’t) win a Major. Golfers generally live to a ripe old age due to their wealth and access to top healthcare so this is a bit of a shocker. Can’t think of many top golfers in recent times who have died naturally under 70. 

• Like 1

Really do think Peter Alliss has to make the cut next year if he’s still golfing. Have insider information that he’s not at all well and he is nearly 90. He sounded awful on the Open highlights and wasn’t seen on camera which is unusual. Apparently he’s made it clear to the BBC that he’s not going to voluntarily retire and given his length of service no one has the courage to get rid of him. Real case of him trying to carry on to the bitter end which is admirable. A sort of golfing Tommy Cooper. 

16 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Can’t think of many top golfers in recent times who have died naturally under 70. 

Seve Ballesteros

8 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Really do think Peter Alliss has to make the cut next year if he’s still golfing. Have insider information that he’s not at all well and he is nearly 90. He sounded awful on the Open highlights and wasn’t seen on camera which is unusual. Apparently he’s made it clear to the BBC that he’s not going to voluntarily retire and given his length of service no one has the courage to get rid of him. Real case of him trying to carry on to the bitter end which is admirable. A sort of golfing Tommy Cooper. 

I did see Alliss on the golfing highlights, on camera and everything.

Yes, he sounded rough. He was walking with a stick He was talking about his issues with balance.  Still looked and sounded less rough than Johnny Ball did on the last Daily Politics.

25 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Think he was about the only member of the 1981 US Ryder Cup team who hadn’t (and didn’t) win a Major. Golfers generally live to a ripe old age due to their wealth and access to top healthcare so this is a bit of a shocker. Can’t think of many top golfers in recent times who have died naturally under 70. 

Didn`t know he was ill.

RIP, cancer sucks frown.gif

• Like 1

What's naturally?

I had been going to do a post on the 79 RC, as 2 of the yanks holed out v recently a 2 of the opposition circling I think.

Internet failed me then, but I glad Bruce wasn't part of the 79 team.

43 minutes ago, Toast said:

Seve Ballesteros

About the only one in the last couple of decades I can remember albeit a pretty iconic golfer 

31 minutes ago, charon said:

What's naturally?

I had been going to do a post on the 79 RC, as 2 of the yanks holed out v recently a 2 of the opposition circling I think.

Internet failed me then, but I glad Bruce wasn't part of the 79 team.

i.e. not in a Payne Stewart or Tony Lema style plane crash 

34 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

About the only one in the last couple of decades I can remember albeit a pretty iconic golfer 

Mark Hayes died on 17th July from Alzheimer's disease, aged 69.

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Bruce Lietzke, DDP pick, loses fight against brain cancer aged 67. Was a member of the US's 81 Ryder Cup-winning team, so an obit should be along asap.

Yep. Reuters QO.

• Thanks 1

And there goes one of my "2019 locks - if they make it". In July! This is like Christmas, getting earlier every year.

So another one under 70 :)

Apt he dies in the Final day of the Seniors Open, a Tournament he won in 2001.

15 hours ago, Deathrace said:

Can’t think of many top golfers in recent times who have died naturally under 70. 

Ian Stanley: 

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/golf/australian-golf-champion-ian-stanley-dies-following-a-long-battle-with-cancer/news-story/a94e810286a145c6839d009c148fa1ac

On 09/03/2012 at 02:24, DevonDeathTrip said:

Australian golfer Jarrod Lyle is suffering from a recurrance of acute myloid leukaemia.

In palliative care now. Better start looking for a replacement for those of you who had him as a lock for 2019. 

Frank Stranahan, who was one of the greatest amateur players of his era, died Monday in Florida, Golf Channel has confirmed. He was 90.

Stranahan won 51 amateur titles and six PGA Tour events, retiring in 1964. Later in life he became a renowned bodybuilder, competing in weight-lifting championships well into his 70s.

Stranahan was a six-time winner of the World Amateur and All-American Amateur, a multiple winner of the British Amateur, and he was a member of three victorious U.S. Walker Cup teams. His most significant pro title was the 1958 Los Angeles Open.
SC

51 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Frank Stranahan, who was one of the greatest amateur players of his era, died Monday in Florida, Golf Channel has confirmed. He was 90.

Stranahan won 51 amateur titles and six PGA Tour events, retiring in 1964. Later in life he became a renowned bodybuilder, competing in weight-lifting championships well into his 70s.

Stranahan was a six-time winner of the World Amateur and All-American Amateur, a multiple winner of the British Amateur, and he was a member of three victorious U.S. Walker Cup teams. His most significant pro title was the 1958 Los Angeles Open.
SC

Might wanna check the date on that one Creepz.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Might wanna check the date on that one Creepz.

Cue the MAD HAT.

Gdammit

Well....I DID my due diligence and his name wasn't anywhere in the db, so consider this his entry, albeit late.  And if in fact his name IS in the db, I can't be held responsible.

On 31/07/2018 at 19:20, Joey Russ said:

In palliative care now. Better start looking for a replacement for those of you who had him as a lock for 2019. 

Jarrod Lyle has slipped into a coma. Dead wihin the week.

Amateurs.....

Both SC and Stranahan.

Reminds me of Belle Robertson, 82 now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_Robertson

British Amateur Open (wifies) winner, 7 times Scottish version, 7 Curtis Cups + 2 as non playing captain.

Learned her trade and still plays at my home course, Dunaverty (no bunkers, pack a sand iron though, and not a hole over 380 yards.)

My father was Captain when he pegged in the 1970's.

I 'think' a vague relative on the McCorkindale side, she seems in fine form last I heard,  one for 2030 Lists imo.

And there goes the 1st name who was on my provisional 20 squad. 

A woman in the Ryder Cup crowd has suffered a horrifying head wound after being floored by a wayward tee shot from American Brooks Koepka.

The supporter was left with blood pouring from her face after the ball appeared to hit her near her eye socket.  As medics rushed to the scene, Koepka dashed over to the crowd to check on the state of the stricken fan, and later handed her a signed glove as an apology.  The American, 28, missed a number of shots afterwards and was described as "shaken" after the incident....and was wayward again with his tee shot off the seventh tee, narrowly missing more spectators lining the fairway.
SC

• Like 1