harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Boxing Clever?

Retired Argentinian boxer Mario Melo, 56, died on Sunday during a croissant eating contest in Buenos Aires.

Melo was participating in a contest to see who could eat the most croissants in one minute. The former pro boxer was reportedly on his third croissant when he choked. According to local reports, a firefighter and doctor in the crowd unsuccessfully tried to dislodge the croissant from Melo's throat before paramedics arrived on scene.  He was pronounced dead at Pinamar Hospital. Melo was also diabetic.

Melo most famously fought U.S. boxer Michael Moorer for the WBA light-heavyweight world title in 1990. The South American heavyweight champion was knocked out in the first round. He retired in 1998 with a 21-9 record.
SC

18 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Melo most famously fought U.S. boxer Michael Moorer for the WBA light-heavyweight world title in 1990. The South American heavyweight champion was knocked out in the first round.

Sorry mate, but your sales pitch sucks.  You got anything else?

17 minutes ago, charon said:

Sorry mate, but your sales pitch sucks.  You got anything else?

Not my pitch, boo. 

Former British & European middleweight champion Bunny Sterling dies aged 70.

29 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Adonis Stevenson in critical condition: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/46417377

Is Tyson Fury entirely stable?

Its his uncle Peter, Hughie's dad, that would be the Fury on my watch list.....

• Thanks 1

On 02/12/2018 at 04:15, YoungWillz said:

Adonis Stevenson in critical condition: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/46417377

Is Tyson Fury entirely stable?

“Update on Adonis Stevenson: The state of Adonis has gone from critical towards stable from yesterday to today which is a relatively good news,” said promoter Yvon Michel early on Monday.

“He is in controlled sedation to facilitate his recuperation."
SC

Apparently yer oft mentioned Steve Bunce is now a "BBC boxing analyst" according to coverage of Wilder/Fury so that might help anyone with low but notable boxers on their shortlists.

Jake Lamotta's controversial opponent, Billy Fox, turns 93 next year. 

Someone with more time could check on which boxers have completely deceased opponent lists. I think the last living Rocky Marciano opponent died in 2009, if I remember an article I read recently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Someone with more time could check on which boxers have completely deceased opponent lists. I think the last living Rocky Marciano opponent died in 2009, if I remember an article I read recently. 

The article would've probably referenced Roland La Starza, who passed on that year.  However, I've been able to find another opponent, Carmine Vingo, who died June 12th, 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmine_Vingo

• Like 2

News coming out of Panama informs us how featherweight great and former long-reigning world champion Eusebio Pedroza is gravely ill, fighting for his life in hospital with cancer. The 65 year old is in critical condition and his family, friends and fans are all praying for him. A superb fighting machine back in the 1970s and ’80s, the man from Panama city ruled the 126 pound landscape for an impressive seven years, during which he made an astonishing 19 retentions of his title; this being a world record for the weight class.

SC

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

News coming out of Panama informs us how featherweight great and former long-reigning world champion Eusebio Pedroza is gravely ill, fighting for his life in hospital with cancer. The 65 year old is in critical condition and his family, friends and fans are all praying for him. A superb fighting machine back in the 1970s and ’80s, the man from Panama city ruled the 126 pound landscape for an impressive seven years, during which he made an astonishing 19 retentions of his title; this being a world record for the weight class.

SC

Amazing fighter - remember him.

According to fellow boxer who visited him Eusebio Pedroza is better, awake, alert and all.

Dead within the week.

• Haha 1

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 18:07, drol said:

According to fellow boxer who visited him Eusebio Pedroza is better, awake, alert and all.

Dead within the week.

Hmm

Scouts from MPFC FC have given him a trial in case we see second round action in the DL Cup

This recovery isn't impressing us

On 08/02/2019 at 19:07, drol said:

Dead within the week.

Pedroza discharged and according to his son that's because he improved and not because he was sent home to die.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drol said:

Pedroza discharged and according to his son that's because he improved and not because he was sent home to die.

Gathering his strength for a bout with Leah Bracknell hereabouts?

• Haha 2

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 15:56, drol said:

Reports in Mexican that Pedroza is dead.

On 19/02/2019 at 09:56, drol said:

So Pedroza's son is a lying bell's end sonovabitch (*this is in line with saying the wrong things being encouraged around here*)...*