harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Boxing Clever?

Nice piece on a journeyman boxer who died last month: Franco Wanyama: fought at the 88 Olympics, beat future world champions Johnny Nelson and Carl Thompson, worked as the Klitschkos' sparring partner, and yet ended up homeless on the streets of Rugby and dying at 51.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Amir Khan's former trainer Oliver Harrison, dead from cancer at 59: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/boxing/8946074/khan-foliver-harrison-cancer-boxing/

DDP pick @Spade_Cooley.

Saw a photo of him taken in hospital last month and knew he didn't have long left, hence him getting the Cup callup from me. 

• Like 1

I hate the name of this thread, always have.   It's replete with twatiness.
Only one that is worse is the Wrestlers / ACTORS why it says that I haven't a fucking clue.  
So why the two threads about the squared circle have such fucked up names I leave the twats who created them.

Oh and so you don't delete another SirC rant, let's make it relevant:

Maxim Dadashev was rushed to an area hospital after being stopped following the eleventh round of his fight against Subriel Matias on Friday night.

The fight, which took place at the MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill, Md. as the co-feature to the Teofimo Lopez-Masayoshi Nakatani main event, had become more one-sided as the rounds progressed. Dadashev’s trainer James “Buddy” McGirt pleaded with his fighter in the corner to allow him to stop the fight.  “I’m gonna stop the fight…Max, you’re getting hit too much…Please Max, let me do this…If I don’t, they’re gonna do it,” were the exhortations from McGirt in the corner.

Dadashev, who entered the fight unbeaten at 13-0 (11 knockouts), protested his trainer’s request, before McGirt took things into his own hands and informed the referee that they wouldn’t answer the bell for the twelfth.

Dadashev was taken to Washington Adventist Hospital, which is about 17 miles away from the venue.  Dadashev was “severely concussed” and “severely dehydrated”, and that a neurologist was waiting to treat him once they arrived.

A few minutes later at a second update, Dadashev, who had been initially responsive in the ambulance, had lost consciousness, prompting the ambulance to re-route to the closer UM Prince George’s Hospital, which is about 12 miles away.

Osuna later reported that Dadashev was heading into surgery because “swelling has been so great that they need to bring that down.” He added that medical staff was trying to contact Dadashev’s wife Elizabeth in Russia to determine if he has any allergies or history of brain injury.
SC

4 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Only one that is worse is the Wrestlers / ACTORS why it says that I haven't a fucking clue. 

You really haven't?  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

It annoys me too (primarily because actors dont tend to get hurt, its more a ballet/stuntwork crossover) but its a good reminder that, even in the UK where it relied on suspension of disbelief and a knowing wink, there were people idiotic enough to think Big Daddy was a legit athlete, and needing it pointed out to them.

• Like 1

I thought it was just a tribute to Vader's sterling work in Boy Meets World.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I thought it was just a tribute to Vader's sterling work in Boy Meets World.

André The Giant was good in in The Princess Bride too.

Theme team developing here:

David Allen was taken to hospital after a brutal ten round beating by British rival David Price.
David Allen, 27, was taken to the Royal London Hospital as a precaution, after he stood up and collapsed down with his legs giving way.

Trainer Darren Barker told Sky Sports that the fighter was waiting for a scan but believed to be OK.  Promoter Eddie Hearn said: "We believe Dave suffered a broken orbital bone and some damage to his tongue.

After the loss and trip to A&E, Allen hinted at retirement on Twitter, saying: "Dont want anyone to worry about me, just a hard man gone old and soft the last 18 months, very happy and proud of David price, I will be okay but the last 12 months or so my health has been deteriorating and I’m glad I hung on took the chance and made money and now probably done."
SC

Horrendous ending to this. Looks like Dadashev was just a boxer who didn't know when to go down and as such took a ridiculous amount of unnecessary punishment. 

I'm offended neither of you nit-wits LINKED to my Dadashev post as is protocol here in DL.    Not offended personally.   Offended on behalf of the art of organisation.

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 16:08, Spade_Cooley said:

Weirdly enough, I was looking at his Wikipedia article this morning out of a bored desire to compile a list of the 20 oldest lineal boxing champions still living. Here is that list:

1. Jake LaMotta (Middleweight) 95

2. Robert Cohen (Bantamweight) 86

3. Tony DeMarco (Welterweight) 85

4. Terry Downes (Middleweight) 80

5. Freddie Little (Light middleweight) 80

6. Carlos Ortiz (Light welterweight) 80

7. Éder Jofre (Featherweight) 80

8. Curtis Cokes (Welterweight) 79

9. Alessandro Mazzinghi (Light middleweight) 78

10. Nino Benvenuti (Middleweight) 78

11. José Nápoles (Welterweight) 76

12. Takeshi Fuji (Light welterweight) 76

13. Sugar Ramos (Featherweight) 75

14. Billy Backus (Welterweight) 74

15. Chartchai Chionoi (Flyweight) 74

16. Koichi Wajima (Light middleweight) 73

17. José Legrá (Featherweight) 73

18. Ismael Laguna (Lightweight) 73

19. Fighting Harada (Bantamweight) 73

20. Hiroshi Kobayashi (Junior lightweight) 72

Jose Napoles dead at 79: https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/27402641/welterweight-legend-napoles-dies-age-79

• Like 1

Front page of The Sun today discusses an overdose taken by Kellie (formerly Frank) Maloney suggesting a combination of someone putting doubts in her mind about sex-change surgery combined with being lonely because she can't find a partner was behind the whole thing. Either way, I'm seeing her finding lots of support, in next year's DDP!

th?id=OIP.R_e57AcKWHTBcey4SuHdJQHaE7&w=2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Front page of The Sun today discusses an overdose taken by Kellie (formerly Frank) Maloney suggesting a combination of someone putting doubts in her mind about sex-change surgery combined with being lonely because she can't find a partner was behind the whole thing. Either way, I'm seeing her finding lots of support, in next year's DDP!

th?id=OIP.R_e57AcKWHTBcey4SuHdJQHaE7&w=2

Lonely ex man(ager) with lovely new box(er) looking for someone to meat her in the ring. 

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Lonely ex man(ager) with lovely new box(er) looking for someone to meat her in the ring. 

Once that line's on Tinder Kellie's close to carking days are surely history