harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Boxing Clever?

19 minutes ago, Captain Hemlock said:

It's pretty common for that thought to pop up in the 40-50's. Mid-life crisis no? I've heard similar thoughts from others. 

I think he is just coming to terms that he won't live forever. Not being invincible, etc. 

• Like 1

René Weller (wiki) to undergo brain surgery. Suffering from very advanced dementia, half of his brain is made up of water.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, drol said:

René Weller (wiki) to undergo brain surgery. Suffering from very advanced dementia, half of his brain is made up of water.

I kind of forgot about him, but yes, he's had dementia for years. Surgery isn't needed, by the way. German sites have more recent updates. Doctors are giving him 2-5 years to live.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

French born Australian WBC former featherweight champ Johnny Famechon reportedly dead: https://www.3aw.com.au/australian-boxing-legend-johnny-famechon-dies-aged-77/

I'll check but surely a DDP pick?

Edit: Apparently not, mentioned a lot here though.

A little bit late, but I've now 'won' Scavenger Hunt Bingo II.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, time said:

A little bit late, but I've now 'won' Scavenger Hunt Bingo II.

I thought that name seemed familiar

• Like 2

Mogens Palle

The Boxing Promoter and IBF Hall Of Famer is dead at 88.   His final event as a Promoter was in April of this year,as he only stepped down from his job due to a cancer diagnosis.

• Like 4

Panamanian boxer Rigoberto Riasco counted out at 69. Was WBC Super bantamweight champion in 1976

• Like 5

On 08/05/2022 at 14:05, Spade_Cooley said:

So, the list of still living Ali opponents now looks something like:

Larry Holmes (1949)
Earnie Shavers (1944)
Alfredo Evangelista (1954)
Richard Dunn (1945)
Jean-Pierre Coopman (1946)
Joe Bugner (1950)
Chuck Wepner (1939)
George Foreman (1949)
Rudi Lubbers (1945)
George Chuvalo (1937)

And then it starts to get a little hazy as these guys from now on were basically club fighters.

George Logan (c 1937): Was definitely alive in 2016 when Ali died, became a policeman after leaving the sport so would probably get some sort of write-up if he was dead.

Don Warner (1939): One of Ali's early sparring partners, later converted to Islam under the name Hasan Muhammad. Can't find any details of him from the past 50 years on a quick Google.

Alex Miteff (1935): Argentine boxer, both he and Ali had small parts in the movie Requiem for a Heavyweight. Guy claiming to be his nephew says he's still alive here, but has apparently been in a rest home for years.

Jimmy Robinson (1924/5): This is the infamous lost Ali opponent, who has been the subject of numerous articles over the years, most famously this ESPN piece. Last confirmed sighting of him was a Sports Illustrated Where Are They Now interview in 1979. Almost certainly died in the poor house.

Earnie Shavers has a current Sun Obit: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19683666/earnie-shavers-dead-boxer-muhammad-ali/

• Like 8

On 08/05/2022 at 09:05, Spade_Cooley said:

George Logan (c 1937): Was definitely alive in 2016 when Ali died, became a policeman after leaving the sport so would probably get some sort of write-up if he was dead.

He was alive in 2017 in an article I found, which included this wee blurb:

’Idaho heavyweight boxer George Logan won 25 fights as a pro, lost nine and had two draws. Then he spent 33 years as a truant officer for the Boise School District, and today operates Riverpond Campground in Garden Valley, Idaho.

(See: https://www.riverpondcampground.com/en/)

Presently the campground website says: “Give the owner George plenty of space!!! While very healthy for a man his 80's, George is in the high-risk category for COVID due to his age. Please respect his health by social distancing with him.”

So good ole George is still throwing punches in 2022.

I would keep tabs on the Riverpond Campground for updates.

SC

• Like 1

On 08/05/2022 at 09:05, Spade_Cooley said:

Alex Miteff (1935): Argentine boxer, both he and Ali had small parts in the movie Requiem for a Heavyweight. Guy claiming to be his nephew says he's still alive here, but has apparently been in a rest home for years.

Alex aka Alexis Pablo Miteff had two sons: Fernando and Karim.

Fernando Miteff dabbled on the fight game but became a Bronx-area graffiti artist under the moniker Nik 707.  He died in the early days of COVID, April 2020 (See NY Times obit: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/17/nyregion/fernando-miteff-dead-coronavirus.html.)

I see no reason to chase around a nephew when his remaining son Karim is actively writing about the family (he said he planned on penning a book about his brother in the aforementioned obit).

As per the obit: “[Fernando] Miteff was born in Buenos Aires to Diana and Alexis Pablo Miteff, a professional boxer who once fought Muhammad Ali and worked as a television production manager after retiring.

I think it’s fair to presume the lack of any mention of Alex’s predeceasing his son means that he was alive and well in April 2020.

Karim Miteff followed in his father’s later career footsteps and built a career in development and producing TV programmes.  He moved from the Bronx to Orlando, FL around 1991.  Here is his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/kmiteff1

There is a FB profile for Alex, presumably inactive and created by Karim just because.  It is void of accessible content.

https://www.facebook.com/alex.miteff.9

Karim’s FB page, besides numerous photos of his goddamn pug, mentions his brothers death and tributes and exhibits of his art work.  What it doesn’t mention is his father’s death.  I will presume Alex Miteff alive in 2022.

SC

• Like 1

On 23/09/2010 at 15:51, Spade_Cooley said:

Mainly because I just found this list of oldest living world champions for each weight decision, plus I've been here like nine months and not started one of these "all purpose dying dude round-up" threads.

Heavyweight ........68...Muhammad Ali (Jan 1942)

Cruiserweight........58...Marvin Camel (Dec 1951)

Light Heavy .........82... Harold Johnson (1928)

Supermiddle..........57...Fulgencio Obelmejias (1953)

Middleweight ........89... Jake Lamotta (1921)

Jr Middleweight... ..72...Nino Benvenuti (1938)

Welterweight ........83... Carmen Basilio (April 1927)

Junior Welter ........73... Eddie Perkins (Mar 1937)

Lightweight ..........74... Carlos Ortiz (Sep 1936)

Jr Lightweight .......77... Harold Gomes (1933)

Featherweight ......74... Eder Jofre (1936)

Bantamweight .......74... Jose Becerra (May 1936)

Flyweight .............76... Horacio Accavallo (1934)

Lt Flyweight...........72...Luis "Lumumba" Estaba (Aug 1938)

Straweight.............47...Leo Gamez (Aug 1963)

Also still around and of note: David Kui Kong Young is 93, Jimmy Bivins is 90 and former two-division world champion Emile Griffith, while only 72, is in a nursing home with pugilistic dementia, having never been in the greatest health since being assault leaving a gay bar in 1991. He's most famous for killing his opponent Benny Paret in a 1962 weltweight title fight after Paret referred to him as a "maricon", or "faggot", during the weigh-in.

Horacio Accavallo dead at 87.

• Like 3

On 19/03/2022 at 18:37, drol said:

Legendary Brazilian boxer Eder Jofre receiving treatment for pneumonia.

Eder Jofre dead at 86 after a very long hospitalization.

• Like 6

Moises Fuentes died at the age of 37 due to injuries from a fight that took place on 10/16/21 against David 'General' Cuéllar in Cancún, wbo minimumweight champion from 2011 to 2013 and interim junior flyweight champion from 2013 to 2014,he was mexican

https://espndeportes.espn.com/futbol-americano/nota/_/id/11275151/fallecio-excampeon-mundial-moises-fuentes

• Like 2

On 06/11/2020 at 22:17, MILFHunterGMan said:

1 name to add on the Deathlist that nobody mention is Mills Lane, Former Boxing Referee best known for being in the infamous fight between Mike Tyson & Evander Holyfield where Tyson bit a chunk of Evander's ear off. You may also remember Mills Lane from the Gruesome yet Hilarious MTV Cartoon Celebrity Deathmatch.

Mills Lane suffered a stroke in 2002 which caused permanent damage. He lost his ability to speak & has limited movement on right side. Worse shape than what even Tim Curry is in. Who can still speak & frequently appears in conventions.

From the Ideas thread 2021 above.

Anyway, seemingly reputable source reporting that Mills Lane has died: 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Should perhaps point out for the record that Mills Lane is a current DDP pick.

45 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Should perhaps point out for the record that Mills Lane is a current DDP pick.

That's a shame. I'll always remember him as he was, referring a match between the Exorcist demon and The Undertaker from WWE in claymation!

Commentator: The Undertaker appears to be summoning up the Gates of Hell!

Mills Lane: I'll allow it!

:D

Apparently, he had a top-class sports career too, I knew him best (only) for his straight man role in cult animation 90s comedy show Celebrity Deathmatch!

No... although I always put Lane on my Crowdsourced Deadpool list, the man was meant to have been dead 20 years ago and how he survived this long I have no idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

No... although I always put Lane on my Crowdsourced Deadpool list, the man was meant to have been dead 20 years ago and how he survived this long I have no idea.

I thought he had shuffled off some years ago! Let’s get it on…..

• Like 1