harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Boxing Clever?

It's like a Wordsearch:

Bain

Bean

Dean.....

"And he knew, even as he was making it, that it was a catastrophic tactical error..."

Brian Glanville claimed he was talking about Alf Ramsey subbing Bobby Charlton at 2-1 in the 1970 World Cup Quarterfinal, but clearly he meant my relegating Dean Francis to the B-team.

12 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

It's like a Wordsearch:

Bain

Bean

Dean.....

If I was Kim Deal or retired ice hockey star Shane Doan I'd be very worried right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been in the DDP for 3 years and every single one of those years I've had a boxer die in late spring/early summer. Although, there's probably several people like me, since Ali, Christie, and Francis were all popular picks.

I'll update Death By Numbers later today.

It’s weird that two people that I had written off as not this year earlier this year went from nope to almost sure thing to dead in the span of a month...

I notice the BBC decided to make the main strand of their reporting on Francis' death an interview with his promoter, 2010 Living End pick Chris Sanigar.

22 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

It's like a Wordsearch:

Bain

Bean

Dean.....

Anyone look in on our beloved Sean?

Leon Tabbs, 86, formerly of Germantown, a renowned cut man in boxing and mixed martial arts, died Friday, June 15, of congestive heart failure at an assisted living community in Atlanta.

Initially, Mr. Tabbs hoped to become a professional boxer. He started training at age 13, entering the amateur ring in New Jersey and winning the 1948 Silver Gloves title as a featherweight. Before his career in boxing, Gradually though, his focus shifted to training and managing boxers, including light heavyweight Jerry “the Bull” Martin. But he had his biggest success as a cut man – one who handles swelling of the face, nosebleeds, and lacerations in the fighter’s corner during the breaks between rounds.  Philadelphia’s Bernard “the Executioner” Hopkins, a middleweight and light heavyweight boxing champion, engaged his services frequently.

SC

Carlos 'CCC' Canizales halted Lu Bin in the final round to retain his WBA light flyweight title in dramatic fashion to worrying scenes in Kuala Lumpur.  Getting into difficulty when the fight was halted with just seconds remaining, Bin looked in a bad way when stretchered from the ring in Malaysia.  Fighting in just his second pro fight despite competing in numerous pro-amateur tournaments around the world, Bin was outclassed by champion Canizales.   Canizales connected with two straight right hands to drop and stop Bin, retaining his belt before the fledgling pro was rushed to the hospital.
SC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alt obits guy said:

Langton Tinago, a Zimbabwean boxer who competed in multiple divisions over multiple decades and won multiple titles, has died.  He was 68.

http://www.chronicle.co.zw/breaking-langton-school-boy-tinago-dies/

Be ironic if it Multiple Sclerosis.

• Haha 4

On 20/07/2018 at 13:14, gcreptile said:

Mayweather’s must be contagious

(Edit: tough crowd.)

On 28/01/2016 at 07:46, Spade_Cooley said:

No disgrace in being the Chuck Wepner of deadpooling.

Speaking of which, anyone know how well Chuck is doing?

Battling cancer apparently

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 23:18, DevonDeathTrip said:

An update - from August- about my DDP wildcard pick Steve Pollard.

Steve Pollard reportedly died this morning:

Find it kind of strange that no one went for him in the DDP this year despite the fact that his obit chances are unlikely. Definitely a fascinating character though. RIP :rip:

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

Find it kind of strange that no one went for DDT dropped him in the DDP this year despite the fact that his obit chances are unlikely. Definitely a fascinating character though. RIP :rip:

FTFY

Him getting an obit would be a very noble thing.

• Like 1

Frank Bruno's been fairly high profile of late - firstly a story confirming his mental health is under enough control to leave his meds in the cupboard and then yesterday being one of the most quoted of the celebs marking the passing of Barry Chuckle.

Fair play to the man who's battled back from some serious shit in the mental health dept.

17 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Him getting an obit would be a very noble thing.

Boxing obits can be a bit of a coin toss, especially at this level when you have to rely on boxing columnists mentioning it as it's not going to get a full-blown obit. The death of The Independent as a QO source was a big loss for boxing obits.

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Boxing obits can be a bit of a coin toss, especially at this level when you have to rely on boxing columnists mentioning it as it's not going to get a full-blown obit. The death of The Independent as a QO source was a big loss for boxing obits.

You could always bring it back .....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Spade made a good point in the DDP thread on why they had to be dropped tbh...