Sign in to follow this  
Paul Bearer

Oliver Norvill Hardy

Today sees the 50th anniversary of the death of Oliver Hardy, one half of the comic duo Laurel & Hardy. There are a lot of double acts out there (Mike & Bernie Winters, Cheese & Onion ( honestly, I vaguely remember them) Morecambe & Wise, Ant & Dec, Blair & Brown :) ) Who's your favourite?

To me, Laurel and Hardy are THE greatest double act ever. From the moment I first saw them as a boy to the present day old git that I am, I still laugh hysterically when watching them.

Considering their fame, It took me months to actually track down a book about them, and that book had originally been published years and years ago.

Morecambe and Wise were brilliant ( well, Eric Morecambe was) but the rest were just very pale imitations of what a great comic double act should be.

PS: I do remember " Cheese and Onion" a very short lived pile of cack that copied every double act there has ever been, badly.

Today sees the 50th anniversary of the death of Oliver Hardy, one half of the comic duo Laurel & Hardy. There are a lot of double acts out there (Mike & Bernie Winters, Cheese & Onion ( honestly, I vaguely remember them) Morecambe & Wise, Ant & Dec, Blair & Brown :o ) Who's your favourite?

Barry & Paul Chuckle :)

Julian and Sandy well Kenneth Horne helped too.

Guest Guest

Road runner and wily coyote

Barry Cheese is stilL going apparently

Barry is one of the few Comedians that can work right across the spectrum very clean or cheeky for male or mixed audience's.
PS: I do remember " Cheese and Onion" a very short lived pile of cack that copied every double act there has ever been, badly.

Tom Pryce and that track marshall, does it for me every time.

I'll get me coat.

I used to love Newman & Baddiel, Reeves & Mortimer, Smith & Jones and Mayall & Edmondson, which I am sure many will deride me for because it is not old skool enough.

Do Cheech and Chong count as a comedy double act?

No-one has mentioned Hinge and Bracket yet.

You missed 'thank goodness' off the end of your sentence.

And with good reason, too.

Not a comedy partnership, per se, but whenever Jack Lemmon & Walter Matthau were in a film together, the chemistry they had made the films very enjoyable, often far more than the script deserved.

I quite liked them as a kid, not sure I would now though. I agree with LG on this one though The Two Ronnies are probably my faves unless you iclude ventriloquists and their dummies in which case it's Shari Lewis and Lambchop

I quite liked them as a kid, not sure I would now though. I agree with LG on this one though The Two Ronnies are probably my faves unless you iclude ventriloquists and their dummies in which case it's Shari Lewis and Lambchop

I always used to groan when my dad would put the Two Ronnies on, but now I'm older, I can appreciate them much more - so clever, I particularly like it when they do a song, such clever word play.

To me, Laurel and Hardy are THE greatest double act ever. From the moment I first saw them as a boy to the present day

Agree. Word magazine had an interesting 20 best and worst comedy double acts ever feature last month. Laurel and Hardy were deemed the best.

The 20 worst was pretty bang on capturing some of the comedy dross of all time. Cannon and Ball, Little and Large etc were all there. Hale and Pace were hands down the worst. I think it was them who were described as the only comedy duo with two straight men.

Had to post this. seriously funny

Excellent.

Alas, poor hound.

I was there last week as well. Could have done a bit of Dodd/deathlist poking.

Talking to a local up there, (yes these West Cumbrians are a friendly sort, some even speak surprisingly good English) it appears that despite Ulverston selling itself as the birthplace of Stan Laurel with a museum and now this statue, he only actually lived in the town for the grand total of 12 days

L & H statue unveiled in Ulverston. Ken Dodd was on hand to do some dusting, but his father's pooch was a no-show.

In coming up to the 61st anniversary of Oliver Hardy's death, it appears the seriously overrated Steve Coogan and the seriously underrated John C Reilly have made a biopic of Stan and Ollie. https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/lifestyle/entertainment/steve-coogan-film-stan-and-ollie-to-close-bfi-london-film-festival/

Not sure I'd watch.

Stunning....
Before I answer the question posed by Paul Bearer, [and L&H are hard to beat], I am astonished that my response wasn't so much as mentioned even in casual passing.  Did their material not travel overseas well?

Abbott & Costello