Sign in to follow this  
Monoclinic

Famous Last Words

Thought it was about time there was a thread devoted to the final utterances of the great and the good before they breathed their last.

For example...John le Mesurier's last words were.... "It's all been rather lovely." Very Wilson-esque.

Quote away, folks!

It was of course followed up by the announcement in The Times that le Mesurier had 'conked out'...

Thanks for moving this - I did do a forum search for "last words" but couldn't find this, hence the new thread. Very odd. Mind you, it was getting late...

Keith Moon's last words were pretty memorable - after asking (telling) his girlfriend to cook him a steak for breakfast he told her "if you don't like it you can f*** off." She did, and hours later he was found dead of an (accidental) overdose.

"Please put out that light, James." - Theodore Roosevelt

"Useless, useless" - John Wilkes Booth (Though some think he might have been saying the name of his girlfriend..."Lucy, Lucy")

My favorite is: "You sons of bitches. Give my love to Mother."

~~ Francis "Two Gun" Crowley, d. 1931

Executed in electric chair.

"Bugger Bognor"

George V

Seamus Heaney's last text, Noli Timere, I thought was quite classy.

The BBC website had a little quiz this morning. I missed two.

It got me thinking to what extent people prepare their last words and, if so, what fellow deathlisters might choose? Rather than start a new thread this one would seem appropriate even though they may not (yet) be famous ones. You'll have to wait for my last words (yes, that would do just fine).

So what would you be happy to have as your last words?

"I've left everything to the Dogs' Home".

• Like 1

Seamus Heaney's last text, Noli Timere, I thought was quite classy.

The BBC website had a little quiz this morning. I missed two.

It got me thinking to what extent people prepare their last words and, if so, what fellow deathlisters might choose? Rather than start a new thread this one would seem appropriate even though they may not (yet) be famous ones. You'll have to wait for my last words (yes, that would do just fine).

"Juno is the worst fucking film I have ever seen, I really really hate Ellen Page."

• Like 1

I haven't given the matter much thought, but something along the line of "You got to believe something. I believe I'll have another drink." would do nicely.

regards,

Hein

I'm going to the bathroom to read

- Elvis

Can we update to famous last tweets too?

Choosing your hospital dinner can be a minefield. I think I lucked out with the fish pie. Ain’t too bad. With large amounts of sachets of brown sauce and salad cream of course. I am the relish master - James Broad

Five days before his death; should have plumped for the salmon mousse.

On 10/08/2007 at 19:55, One shot Paddy said:

" Oh f**k, the throttle stuck!" Donald Campbell.

That was undoubtedly the inner monologue, but the actual words were more like:

"... Full nose up ... Pitching a bit down here ... coming through our own wash ... er getting straightened up now on track ... rather closer to Peel Island ... and we're tramping like mad ... and er ... FULL POWER ... er tramping like hell OVER. I can't see much and the water's very bad indeed ... I'm galloping over the top ... and she's giving a hell of a bloody row in here ... I can't see anything ... I've got the bows out ... I'm going ...  I'm gone...do you know the Liverpool resu...U-hh ..."

3 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

That was undoubtedly the inner monologue, but the actual words were more like:

"... Full nose up ... Pitching a bit down here ... coming through our own wash ... er getting straightened up now on track ... rather closer to Peel Island ... and we're tramping like mad ... and er ... FULL POWER ... er tramping like hell OVER. I can't see much and the water's very bad indeed ... I'm galloping over the top ... and she's giving a hell of a bloody row in here ... I can't see anything ... I've got the bows out ... I'm going ...  I'm gone...do you know the Liverpool resu...U-hh ..."

"Boy howdy, I hope Greengrass doesn't fuck my wife."

455173511_Nyttkuva2021-05-29221208.png.1ac75bb333495d77a140504e394c3b06.png

"Mike can get it done."

Kirk Douglas, expressing his support for Michael Bloomberg's presidential campaign, 2020. Pictured is possibly the last or one of the last pictures of him.

"I love you. Take care of the boys"

Larry King, 2021.

"Long live Bhutto."

Benazir Bhutto before her assasination, 2007.

"Help."

Richard Nixon after suffering a stroke, 1994.

Also, as there's no "last photo" thread, here's the last picture of Finnish president from 1956 to 1982 Urho Kekkonen (1900-1986):

29f8b9cf09cf490f8379b46e66df65ed.thumb.jpg.4e50586d5ff92bb8471937de85516982.jpg

Picture is from 1985 or 1986. At the time his Alzheimer's disease was very advanced. This picture was only revealed to the public in 2016, before that no pictures of him from after 1982 were known to the public. His last words are not known.

Read today that - according to his daughter - David Cassidy's last words were "So much wasted time"