harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

American Football Players

Former Bears tight end Chris Gedney, the team’s third-round draft pick in 1993, died Friday, Syracuse University announced. Gedney was 47.

An All-American at Syracuse, Gedney spent seven seasons in the NFL, the first four as a member of the Bears. Gedney worked for his alma mater doing color commentary for Syracuse football games and was a senior associate athletic director. No cause of death has been announced.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:37, msc said:

^ The same Jim Kelly whose original cancer inspired Sir Creep to post here originally, no?

Almost started a thread for him.  May still.  Here's the update after 12 hours of surgery.  Video/interview included...He looks a mess....the surgery sounds awful. 
He can't have a year, certainly not 2020.  A 2019 LOCK.  HOF player 4x Super Bowl QB, a legit name for the DL imho.
SC

• Like 1

Bill Rademacher, a two-way player for the New York Jets in their early years, has died. He was 75.

A wide receiver and defensive back for five seasons who played on the franchise's only Super Bowl champion, Rademacher was an undrafted free agent from Northern Michigan (Univ) who made the AFL team in 1964 as a receiver. He was a backup and special teams player in the 1968 title season.  Rademacher was released before the 1969 season and played for the Patriots for two years.

Overall, Rademacher played in 58 pro games and had 24 catches for 282 yards and three touchdowns, all of his scores coming with the Patriots.

He also was head coach at Northern Michigan, going 37-16-1 in five seasons.
SC

On The Tim and Beanie Show on 97.1 The Fan in Columbus on Monday, former Ohio State running back Chris "Beanie" Wells revealed he has been suffering from the symptoms of a "traumatic brain injury."

Wells, who started working for the station talking about the Buckeyes a few years after he retired from the NFL, had been absent from the show in recent weeks. Monday, he returned to the show and explained that it was his health that had been keeping him off the airwaves.

Wells, 29, said he was experiencing headaches, "forgetting the littlest things" and also suffering from issues with his speech. He said he normally stumbles over words and talks with quick pace, but over the past six or seven months he was having problems picking out his words and was pausing longer than normal in conversation, and he found it "alarming."

He added that he is "not out of the woods yet" and he is "hopeful" that his condition will continue to improve.

Sounds like he has safely a couple years to go.  But also less than 5.  Not good....dude's only 29.  A freebie for your 2022 DPs
SC

(Edit:  Also add former Eagles/49ers RB Charlie Garner (45) to the CTE mix.  Garner revealed he's suffering from symptoms that certainly sound like CTE -- memory loss, sensitivity to bright lights, headaches, mood swings -- and although he hasn't officially been diagnosed with CTE, he said he's very concerned about his health.  "I don't have all my faculties anymore.  It scares the heck out of me.")  

Grady Alderman, one of the “50 Greatest Vikings,” passed away Thursday, the Vikings announced. He was 79.

Alderman, an offensive lineman, played for the Vikings from 1961-74. He was a backup for the Detroit Lions his rookie season (1960) before being selected by the Vikings in the expansion draft. Alderman was a six-time Pro Bowl pick and a two-time All-Pro selection during his Vikings career.

SC

With the passing of her beloved husband, Tom, New Orleans Saints owner Gayle Benson released this letter to the NFL and the other 31 team owners on Thursday in which she says she will own the team until she dies.
SC

Max Runager, the former NFL punter who helped the San Francisco 49ers win the Super Bowl following the 1984 season, has died. He was 61.

The 49ers announced Runager's death Sunday, and it was reported he was found dead Friday in his car in a parking lot in South Carolina. No foul play is suspected.

Runager played 11 seasons in the NFL after being drafted out of South Carolina by the Eagles in the eighth round in 1979. He spent his first five years with the Eagles, losing the Super Bowl following the 1980 season before joining San Francisco in 1984.
SC

The first starting quarterback — and starting punter — for Bob Devaney, Dennis Claridge died this week after a three-year battle with bladder cancer.  Claridge, 76, had been a longtime orthodontist in Lincoln after his playing career at NU and three seasons in the NFL. He was inducted into the Nebraska Football Hall of Fame in 1976 and was, until Jerry Tagge came along in the early ’70s, the best quarterback in Husker history.

SC

Billy Brewer, who played at Ole Miss in the late 1950s and coached the Rebels for 11 seasons, died at the age of 83 Saturday following a brief illness (A STROKE IS A BRIEF ILLNESS?).  Brewer coached Ole Miss from 1983 to 1993 and went 67-56-3 in those 11 seasons, which included three bowl victories and two top-25 finishes. He was the second-winningest coach in program history. Brewer will be inducted into the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame later this year. Health became a concern when Brewer suffered a stroke and was checked into Baptist Memorial Hospital in Oxford in February.  

Also -- another 'winningest' reference.  Gotta love it.
SC

4 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Billy Brewer, who played at Ole Miss in the late 1950s and coached the Rebels for 11 seasons, died at the age of 83 Saturday following a brief illness (A STROKE IS A BRIEF ILLNESS?).  Brewer coached Ole Miss from 1983 to 1993 and went 67-56-3 in those 11 seasons, which included three bowl victories and two top-25 finishes. He was the second-winningest coach in program history. Brewer will be inducted into the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame later this year. Health became a concern when Brewer suffered a stroke and was checked into Baptist Memorial Hospital in Oxford in February.  

Also -- another 'winningest' reference.  Gotta love it.
SC

He was on my DL Cup shortlist a couple of rounds back, you're lucky I forgot about him.

10 minutes ago, The Dead Cow said:

He was on my DL Cup shortlist a couple of rounds back, you're lucky I forgot about him.

Forgot about him or just didn't roll with him?  Regardless, yes I am.   I think you're going to be ok to advance, though I haven't any regrets (i.e. last minute cuts who have died).  

15 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Forgot about him or just didn't roll with him?  Regardless, yes I am.   I think you're going to be ok to advance, though I haven't any regrets (i.e. last minute cuts who have died).  

I forgot about him, I discard my shortlist once I've selected my team for the next round, so a lot of names are sent to limbo.

Though even if I did hold on to him I probably wouldn't have picked him, as there don't seem to be any updates on his health between being released from ICU and him dying. If there were I'd have probably rediscovered him anyhow.

Former Seattle Seahawks head coach Chuck Knox has died at the age of 86, Knox's granddaughter confirmed Sunday in a tweet. 

Knox led the Seahawks to their first-ever playoffs in his first season as Seahawks head coach in 1983. He went on to coach the team through the 1991 season.

SC

Wesley College head football coach Mike Drass, one of the winningest coaches in Division III football history, died Monday.  He was 57.
In his 25 seasons, Drass led Wesley to 14 NCAA Tournament berths, including in each of the past 13 seasons. The Wolverines reached the semifinals six times, including three straight years from 2009-11.
SC

On 4/30/2018 at 15:07, charon said:

A couple other quick facts that may not add much, but seemed helpful:
1.  He has lost 50 lbs since starting chemo, and
2.  "Millen, 60, said the amyloid protein was embedding in his bone marrow and the walls of his heart."  Thus the need for a likely transplant.  First article wasn't specific.
SC

39 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Dwight Clark, SanFran 49ers player and DDP pick, dies of ALS: https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/49ers/2018/06/04/dwight-clark-dies-niners-san-francisco-catch/671400002/

Note how there's no need for the illness thread, he goddamn famous enough for this thread....

Mirror Obit: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/dwight-clark-dead-61-san-12647635

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Dwight Clark, SanFran 49ers player and DDP pick, dies of ALS: https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/49ers/2018/06/04/dwight-clark-dies-niners-san-francisco-catch/671400002/

Note how there's no need for the illness thread, he goddamn famous enough for this thread....

RIP. 49ers were my local team when I was a kid, and I'm old enough to have seen him when he was still an active player. That was a fast-moving case, too. He only announced it last year, and he was still able to walk as recently as last fall. Very different from Steve Gleason, who was diagnosed almost seven years ago now and is somehow still hanging in there.

Jesus....that was amazingly quick.  Proves me wrong on many posts, a first!

SC

It seems to me that the older you are when diagnosed, the faster it moves.

Yeah, I can only think of Chris Woodhead when it comes to people who were diagnosed around 60 or so but still lasted a long time with the disease.

Planning on submitting an American football theme team next year - mostly NFL but a couple college names too. 

Dwight Clark's death has me a bit nervous. If a few more of the ill names (Bart Starr, Steve Gleason, Jim Kelly) don't make January, the team'll be shit.

Oh well, at least the name I planned is great: "Traded to the Saints."

10 minutes ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

Planning on submitting an American football theme team next year - mostly NFL but a couple college names too. 

Dwight Clark's death has me a bit nervous. If a few more of the ill names (Bart Starr, Steve Gleason, Jim Kelly) don't make January, the team'll be shit.

Oh well, at least the name I planned is great: "Traded to the Saints."

It's a theme team - it's meant to be shit!

Each year I try to come up with a theme team idea stupider than the one before.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1