harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

American Football Players

16 minutes ago, msc said:

CTE again. imo within a decade "end stage CTE" is going to be a more common diagnosis AND a common deadpool pick.

Aye, they starting to track down the diagnosis in the living brains now.  Once they can pinpoint that diagnosis we will see less 'Alzheimer's or whatever' and more accurate CTE.  And we will have a better timeline of life expectancy, but 4-5 years seems about right as a max.
SC

• Like 1

Awww damn.  Good player in his day.  RIP

Cliff Branch, who played on three Super Bowl championship teams and played his entire 14-year with the Raiders, died Saturday, the club confirmed.

Branch was 71 years old. No cause of death has been released.

Drafted by the Raiders out of Colorado in 1972, Branch caught 501 passes for 8,685 yards and scored 67 touchdowns, averaging 17.3 yards per reception. A sprinter at Colorado in addition to playing football, Branch struck fear into opposing defenses with his ability to get deep.

After struggling for his first two seasons to consistently catch the ball, Branch had a breakout year in 1974, catching 60 passes for 1,092 yards and 13 touchdowns. Two years later, Branch had 46 receptions for 1,111 yards and 12 touchdowns with a long of 88 yards, averaging a career high 24.2 yards per catch.  In 20 playoff games, including Super Bowl victories following the 1976, 1980 and 1983 seasons, Branch had 73 catches for 1,289 yards and five touchdowns.
SC

I''ll be completely honest, I'm surprised at the lack of traction Chris Doleman is getting on the forum. Diagnosed with glioblastoma mid-2018 so even if he makes 2020 thanks to surgery, he wont see 2021, and as a NFL Hall of Famer, guaranteed a Daily Mail QO.

Would have expected Sir Creep or Chorizo or the like to be trying to push him as a Drop 40 12 pointer lock for next year. But nowt.

D8ALeAMW4AAhglu?format=jpg&name=360x360

• Like 1

Former Oklahoma running back Mike Gaddis died on Monday at 50 years old.  Longtime Sooners coach Barry Switzer confirmed the news on Tuesday, calling Gaddis “the best running back I ever recruited out of the state of Oklahoma.”

Gaddis’ cause of death has not been reported. The Norman Transcript reports that Gaddis suffered kidney problems and required a kidney transplant from his brother Brent in 2005.  Current Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley posted a Twitter tribute to Gaddis on Monday.

Gaddis flashed the talent that made him one of the top prospects to play at Oklahoma, rushing for 2,622 yards and 27 touchdowns on 6.2 yards per carry over three injury-plagued seasons from 1988-91.  He missed the 1990 season while recovering from a torn ACL suffered in 1989 against rival Texas.

SC

On 11/08/2019 at 06:12, msc said:

I''ll be completely honest, I'm surprised at the lack of traction Chris Doleman is getting on the forum. Diagnosed with glioblastoma mid-2018 so even if he makes 2020 thanks to surgery, he wont see 2021, and as a NFL Hall of Famer, guaranteed a Daily Mail QO.

Would have expected Sir Creep or Chorizo or the like to be trying to push him as a Drop 40 12 pointer lock for next year. But nowt.

D8ALeAMW4AAhglu?format=jpg&name=360x360

Well hey, I picked him in my draft with my friends specifically because I saw him mentioned here!  You're right, if he does see 2020, he's a stone cold lead pipe lock for next year's pools.  

• Like 1

Cedric Benson, an all-American at the University of Texas and a former player with Chicago and Cincinnati, has died.  He was 36.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2850120-former-nfl-texas-rb-cedric-benson-dies-at-36-after-motorcycle-crash?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Cedric Benson, an all-American at the University of Texas and a former player with Chicago and Cincinnati, has died.  He was 36.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2850120-former-nfl-texas-rb-cedric-benson-dies-at-36-after-motorcycle-crash?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

I just drove TX-2222 in Austin a few days ago.  A few blind curves and good size hills.

Jim Hardy, Quarterback for the Los Angeles Rams (1946-1948), the Chicago Cardinals (1949-1951) and the Detroit Lions (1952), has died age 96. He was the oldest living player for the LA Rams and the USC. 

Edit: Daily Mail obituary.

The son of former NFL lineman Barry Bennett is accused of shooting Bennett and his wife multiple times, killing them, then driving out of state and boarding a flight to Mexico, according to criminal charges filed Friday. 

Authorities issued an arrest warrant and were searching for Dylan Bennett, 22, who is charged with two counts of second-degree murder, without premeditation, in connection with the deaths of his parents, Barry and Carol Bennett.

Their bodies were found Wednesday in their home near Long Prairie, MN.  Authorities believe the Bennetts were killed Monday. The complaint said Carol Bennett, who would've been 64 on Thursday, was shot multiple times in the back and torso. Barry Bennett, 63, was shot multiple times in the torso and head.

Dylan Bennett's car was found at the home, with an empty box for a 9mm handgun and a box for ammunition inside. Carol Bennett's car was missing.

According to the criminal complaint, Barry Bennett told the Todd County Sheriff's Office in December that Dylan had expressed thoughts about killing his parents while he was in a mental health treatment facility.

SC

• Like 1

Le’Ron McClain, a Pro Bowl fullback who played in the NFL from 2007-13, sent a series of desperate tweets concerning his health beginning Saturday and continuing through Monday morning. McClain first tweeted “I have to get my head checked... My brain is f---ing tired... NFL i need some help with this shyt... F---ing help me please!!”

So looking a clear case of CTE.  One to watch but usually these things go south overnight (suicide).

I DO hope the best for Le'Ron.  This being fantasy football draft time of year, I won perhaps my greatest FF championship (2007) with the unexpected help of Ravens running back Le'Ron McClain and fellow teammate and running back Willis McGahee, who's autographed jersey I am wearing as good luck at this year's drafts.
SC

5 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Le’Ron McClain, a Pro Bowl fullback who played in the NFL from 2007-13, sent a series of desperate tweets concerning his health beginning Saturday and continuing through Monday morning. McClain first tweeted “I have to get my head checked... My brain is f---ing tired... NFL i need some help with this shyt... F---ing help me please!!”

So looking a clear case of CTE.  One to watch but usually these things go south overnight (suicide).

I DO hope the best for Le'Ron.  This being fantasy football draft time of year, I won perhaps my greatest FF championship (2007) with the unexpected help of Ravens running back Le'Ron McClain and fellow teammate and running back Willis McGahee, who's autographed jersey I am wearing as good luck at this year's drafts.
SC

Damn, this sucks.  Yeah, McClain was a good fullback in his day, which actually wasn't too long ago.  I'm heavy into fantasy football myself.  Had one draft so far and have 3 more within the next 8 days.  

2 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Jim Langer, a Pro Football Hall of Fame center with the Miami Dolphins, has died.  He was 71.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/american-football/49531730

Shite!  Thought I posted this.  Was posted in my home league 16 hours ago.  As stated there, this is the second undefeated 1972 Miami Dolphin to die inside of two weeks. 

One of those long listers who was discarded on obit problems Jeff Blackshear dead at 50

• Like 1

Never mind.

3 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

One of those long listers who was discarded [by me] on obit problems Jeff Blackshear dead at 50

FTFY.  

And a truly shite obit choice.  His high school?  Jesus.... couldn't find one about his NFL career?  Here, I FTFY as well, seeing as I'm here.
SC

Bobby Dillon, defensive back for the Green Bay Packers from 1952-1959, has died aged 89. He was the Packers all time interceptions leader with 52.

15 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Bobby Dillon, defensive back for the Green Bay Packers from 1952-1959, has died aged 89. He was the Packers all time interceptions leader with 52.

Forrest Gregg

Bart Start

Bobby Dillon

but Willie Wood lives on...

Donnie Green, an offensive lineman for the Buffalo Bills (1971-76), and part of the 'electric company' that blocked for OJ Simpson, died Aug. 28 at the age of 71 due to complications of kidney disease in Hagerstown, where he spent the last 15 years of his life.  Green was the starter at right tackle for all six seasons he was with Buffalo, but injuries took a toll. He was a backup with the Philadelphia Eagles in 1977 and with the Detroit Lions in 1978 before retiring.
SC

51KWhoUCEhL._SY445_.jpg

Ah, a QO. I seem to remember that he was known here. Or was it just me? But, yes, a coma that lasted for more than a year.

1 hour ago, ebless said:

Neiron Bell, former linebacker for the Oakland Raiders has died aged 27 a year after being placed on a coma due to rare brain condition. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7448723/Ex-Florida-linebacker-Neiron-Ball-27-passes-away-battling-rare-brain-condition.html

Incredible.  Really a nobody in NFL standards.  Actual solid players don’t get a QO sniff.  Smh no rhyme or reason.

Terrell Roberts, who played two seasons as a defensive back for the Cincinnati Bengals in mid-2000s, was at his grandmother’s home on the 1200 block of Fascination Circle when someone entered the residence and shot him deader than a dead dog.

SC

5 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Terrell Roberts, who played two seasons as a defensive back for the Cincinnati Bengals in mid-2000s, was at his grandmother’s home on the 1200 block of Fascination Circle when someone entered the residence and shot him deader than a dead dog.

SC

Great

• Like 1