Not a band, but for me it's got to be George Ezra. Every time I hear 'Shotgun' I dream about how much I'd love to have a large shite down his windpipe.

As for bands... I agree with Clorox, Black Eyed Peas can definitely get in the bin. 

So can Keane, as it happens. And Westlife. And The Beatles. And OMD. And Oasis.

15 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Not a band, but for me it's got to be George Ezra. Every time I hear 'Shotgun' I dream about how much I'd love to have a large shite down his windpipe.

As for bands... I agree with Clorox, Black Eyed Peas can definitely get in the bin. 

So can Keane, as it happens. And Westlife. And The Beatles. And OMD. And Oasis.

I love OMD

• Like 2

Boybands (exemplified by the 5 pretty boys sat in a row type like Westlife and Boyzone, but the lot of 'em really, going back to  the bay city rollers)

Anybody connected to Simon Cowell or Louis Walsh

Any music produced by girl pop stars whose principal/sole talent lies in pouting in their undies in videos - Cheryl, Ariana and dozens of others in between (The videos themselves can stay, albeit on mute)

95% of reggae music

99% of disco music

100% of house music

spice girls

anything elton john has done in the last 40 years

anything cliff richard has done in the last 60 years

..and Mud's Lonely this Christmas, which kept our 'Wombling Merry Christmas' from being the seasonal no 1 in 1974, and which rankles to this day.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, time said:

Boney M

whoa whoa whoa there

Nothing wrong with a bit of Boney M

The rest I agree with

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Any music produced by girl pop stars whose principal/sole talent lies in pouting in their undies in videos - Cheryl, Ariana and dozens of others in between (The videos themselves can stay, albeit on mute)

Aye, but Ariana Grande can actually sing, and 3 of her albums are "universally acclaimed" on Metacritic. None of which she wrote, of course.

Perhaps she could dub over the others?

3 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

..and Mud's Lonely this Christmas, which kept our 'Wombling Merry Christmas' from being the seasonal no 1 in 1974, and which rankles to this day.

@Great Uncle Bulgaria, in the song mentioned, what is "it" in the line "I'll do it to you, you do it to me"? ;)

14 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

@Great Uncle Bulgaria, in the song mentioned, what is "it" in the line "I'll do it to you, you do it to me"? ;)

It's actually "Wombling through, I'll tune into you, you tune into me." It's a reference to some old CB radios that Bungo found on the common and Tobermory mended, thereby enabling me to communicate with Madam Cholet at the other end of the burrow whenever I want a nice horlicks before bedtime.

(And that's not a euphemism btw)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

It's actually "Wombling through, I'll tune into you, you tune into me." It's a reference to some old CB radios that Bungo found on the common and Tobermory mended, thereby enabling me to communicate with Madam Cholet at the other end of the burrow whenever I want a nice horlicks before bedtime.

(And that's not a euphemism btw)

Thanks Great Uncle!

I've been mishearing that lyric for over 40 years. Which hopefully makes me an honorary Womble.

“A bat and a ball cost £1.10 in total. The bat costs £1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?”    

11 minutes ago, torbrexbones said:

“A bat and a ball cost £1.10 in total. The bat costs £1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?”    

5p

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, torbrexbones said:

5p. 

The bat cost £1.05 and the ball cost £0.05  so it's £1.10 in total....

• Like 1

Speaking as a dad, I want to know the shop where balls and bats are only £1.10 for both in 2020...:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I have seen It heavy I have seen it thin being the best does not hurt my skin I was best in the eighties but who cared in the 90's I was half dead we have pulled a tooth or two and we like physics too

who am I

So I'm meant to be doing a pub quiz style thing for my siblings in a zoom chat. Their trivia knowledge is generally strong. How fair or harsh do you think this selection of questions might be? The idea for this round is to have a range of difficulties and cover a fairly wide range of music genres: 

"Music of the 20th Century round"

1) 1900: which opera by Pucchini, set in Rome in 1800, premiered in 1900?

2) 1910: Which ballet by Stravinski based on Russian fairy tales was written for Diaghilev's 1910 season?

3) 1920: Holst's Planets suite was first performed in full in this year. Which planet does not have a movement?

4) 1930: Which famous blind pianist was born in this year?

5) 1940: Whose band had a number one hit with "In the mood" in this year?

6) 1950: What Christmas song about a flying creature was a number one hit in this year?

7) 1960: The band "Johnny and the Moondogs" changed their name to what in this year?

8) 1970: Who had a number one hit with a live performance of "The Wonder of you" in this year?

9) 1980: What film released in this year featured performances by James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Cab Calloway and a certain blind pianist?

10) 1990: What song released in this year that made extensive use of the prominent opening riff from Rick James' "Superfreak" went on to win Grammys in 1991 for "best R&B song" and "Best Rap solo performance", as well as "Best Rap Video" and "Best Dance Video" at the 1990 MTV music awards?

14 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

So I'm meant to be doing a pub quiz style thing for my siblings in a zoom chat. Their trivia knowledge is generally strong. How fair or harsh do you think this selection of questions might be? The idea for this round is to have a range of difficulties and cover a fairly wide range of music genres: 

2) 1910: Which ballet by Stravinski based on Russian fairy tales was written for Diaghilev's 1910 season?

3) 1920: Holst's Planets suite was first performed in full in this year. Which planet does not have a movement?

6) 1950: What Christmas song about a flying creature was a number one hit in this year?

7) 1960: The band "Johnny and the Moondogs" changed their name to what in this year?

8) 1970: Who had a number one hit with a live performance of "The Wonder of you" in this year?

9) 1980: What film released in this year featured performances by James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Cab Calloway and a certain blind pianist?

10) 1990: What song released in this year that made extensive use of the prominent opening riff from Rick James' "Superfreak" went on to win Grammys in 1991 for "best R&B song" and "Best Rap solo performance", as well as "Best Rap Video" and "Best Dance Video" at the 1990 MTV music awards?

I do quizzes but am not that strong on music - so here are my unresearched answers as a guide. I'm 51.

Spoiler

1) Tosca 

2) The Snow Queen (no idea on this one)

3) Neptune (obviously it's the one that wasn't discovered at this point but my astronomy is slightly worse than my music!)

4) Ray Charles

5) Glenn Miller

6) Puff the Magic Dragon

7) The Beatles

8) Elvis Presley

9) Blues Brothers

10) No idea

I always think 5 to 8 is the range of scores you are looking for in a quiz. cheers

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

I do quizzes but am not that strong on music - so here are my unresearched answers as a guide. I'm 51.

Reveal hidden contents

1) Tosca 

2) The Snow Queen (no idea on this one)

3) Neptune (obviously it's the one that wasn't discovered at this point but my astronomy is slightly worse than my music!)

4) Ray Charles

5) Glenn Miller

6) Puff the Magic Dragon

7) The Beatles

8) Elvis Presley

9) Blues Brothers

10) No idea

I always think 5 to 8 is the range of scores you are looking for in a quiz. cheers

Thank you!  You scored 6, so that's a good sign.  My family will be divided into teams of about 3 people each of varying ages.  I'll put the answers up if someone can tell me how we post hidden contents on this forum.

Click on the eye then enter your content in the box then Submit reply as normal.

Cheers

36 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

Spoiler

2. Peter and the Wolf?

3. Earth! (also Pluto...)

4. Ray Charles

5. The Glenn Miller Band

6. Rudolph

8. Elvis - mrs msc's late gran's favourite song

9. Blues Brothers

10. Cant Touch This.

I should know 1 and 7 but they are out of my mind right now.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, msc said:

Reveal hidden contents

2. Peter and the Wolf?

3. Earth! (also Pluto...)

4. Ray Charles

5. The Glenn Miller Band

6. Rudolph

8. Elvis - mrs msc's late gran's favourite song

9. Blues Brothers

10. Cant Touch This.

I should know 1 and 7 but they are out of my mind right now.

7 out of 10 for you.

Here are the answers (didn't get the eye option on Chrome, but it exists in Edge):

Spoiler

1) Tosca

2) The Firebird

3) The Earth (half a mark for Pluto)

4) Ray Charles

5) Glenn Miller

6) Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

7) The Beetles (later changed again to the Beatles, either acceptable as an answer)

8) Elvis Presley

9) Blues Brothers

10) U Can't Touch This

1 hour ago, paddyfool said:

Spoiler

1. Christ knows.

2. The Nut Cracker?

3. They all do, Pluto is no longer a planet

4. Ray Charles

5. Glenn Miller Orchestra

6. Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer?

7. It's not The Beatles or The Who, Stones wouldn't have formed by then... The Animals?

8. Elvis?

9. Blues Brothers

10.  U Can't Touch This

• Like 1

If we're throwing quizzes out there, I wrote our work's Christmas quiz last year... I can offer ten questions up from it now and if anyone's interested more as and when.

1. Who is the first talking animal Alice comes across in “Alice In Wonderland”? 
  2. What is the only word beginning with the letter “K” in the title of a James Bond film. 
  3. There are 19 versions of the “Real Housewives” reality TV franchise in total. Which was the first? Hint: it’s where both John Wayne and Richard Nixon died.
  4. Which mythological character, first created for an internet Photoshop contest in 2009, is usually depicted as being a tall, suit-wearing male with no face and tentacles for arms? 
  5. Which haircut - named after an item of crockery - is officially designated by the Anti-Defamation League as a symbol of white supremacy? Notable sporters of the haircut include Henry V and Moe Howard from the Stooges
  6. Which artform links the names Vivian Maier, Cecil Beaton and Weegie? 
  7. The group of relatively young women of color progressive politicians known as “The Squad” consists of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rachida Tlaib, Ilhan Omar... and who else? She was the first black woman elected to Congress for Massacheussets. 
  8. What name is shared by the Jamaican-born Marxist sociologist who co-founded the New Left Review, and the disgraced BBC sports commentator who went to prison in 2013 after pleading guilty to 17 counts of sexual assault on women under the age of 16? 
  9. The only English league football team who play in a constituency that voted Liberal Democrat at the 2017 election play in the constituency of Kingston and Surbiton. Which football team is it?
  10. The main character of which sitcom had 66 sexual partners during the show’s run, including paramours played by Courtney Cox, Debra Messing, Teri Hatcher, Sarah Silverman and Janeane Garofalo.

1 hour ago, paddyfool said:

Incidentally this is the only opera I have ever been to see and we went when we were in Rome - it says a lot about opera that it is only now that I have discovered that it is actually set in Rome!

The other amusing thing was that we got seats right in the back row of the gods - extremely high and extremely steep view down. At the end of the opera in question the dramatic ending involves the lead character throwing themselves to their death off the castle ramparts - we were so high up we actually saw her bounce back up again which somewhat reduced the drama - everyone else gasped whilst we laughed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Reveal hidden contents

1. Christ knows.

2. The Nut Cracker?

3. They all do, Pluto is no longer a planet

4. Ray Charles

5. Glenn Miller Orchestra

6. Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer?

7. It's not The Beatles or The Who, Stones wouldn't have formed by then... The Animals?

8. Elvis?

9. Blues Brothers

10.  U Can't Touch This

6 / 10. See the post above yours for the answers.

I'm glad to see everyone doing so well - Mrs Paddyfool struggled with these!

3 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

If we're throwing quizzes out there, I wrote our work's Christmas quiz last year... I can offer ten questions up from it now and if anyone's interested more as and when.

1. Who is the first talking animal Alice comes across in “Alice In Wonderland”? 
  2. What is the only word beginning with the letter “K” in the title of a James Bond film. 
  3. There are 19 versions of the “Real Housewives” reality TV franchise in total. Which was the first? Hint: it’s where both John Wayne and Richard Nixon died.
  4. Which mythological character, first created for an internet Photoshop contest in 2009, is usually depicted as being a tall, suit-wearing male with no face and tentacles for arms? 
  5. Which haircut - named after an item of crockery - is officially designated by the Anti-Defamation League as a symbol of white supremacy? Notable sporters of the haircut include Henry V and Moe Howard from the Stooges
  6. Which artform links the names Vivian Maier, Cecil Beaton and Weegie? 
  7. The group of relatively young women of color progressive politicians known as “The Squad” consists of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rachida Tlaib, Ilhan Omar... and who else? She was the first black woman elected to Congress for Massacheussets. 
  8. What name is shared by the Jamaican-born Marxist sociologist who co-founded the New Left Review, and the disgraced BBC sports commentator who went to prison in 2013 after pleading guilty to 17 counts of sexual assault on women under the age of 16? 
  9. The only English league football team who play in a constituency that voted Liberal Democrat at the 2017 election play in the constituency of Kingston and Surbiton. Which football team is it?
  10. The main character of which sitcom had 66 sexual partners during the show’s run, including paramours played by Courtney Cox, Debra Messing, Teri Hatcher, Sarah Silverman and Janeane Garofalo.

If I may be flippant.

1. Her sister.

2. Kyfall. (I have a lisp).

3. Real Housewives In Bed.

4. The mythological Tory MP who cares.

5. The Superbowl.

6. Graffitti - plenty of Weegies do it!

7. Beyoncé.

8. Bleasdale. (The first wrote Bwoys From The Black Stuff and the second commentated on Willie Carson in a letter to the BBC).

9. Kingston And Surbiton LibDems Under 21s.

10. Never The Twain. (That lothario, Donald Sinden….)