26 minutes ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

There's a picture of the girl's official mother and they look so much alike that it's almost certainly nonsense. But apparently the McCanns are willing to do a DNA test.

Wasn’t she adopted by her parents ? I Don’t think she knows her biological parents. 

anyway, here is her insta account. She does look like Maddie but I really doubt this is her. 

6 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Wasn’t she adopted by her parents ? I Don’t think she knows her biological parents. 

anyway, here is her insta account. She does look like Maddie but I really doubt this is her. 

According to what I read she was adopted, but - like I said earlier - she's 22. Grew up in a western country with good record keeping so her adoption papers and likely her school record will be intact somewhere, meaning it's highly unlikely they've got her age wrong and therefore she isn't Maddie.

7 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

According to what I read she was adopted, but - like I said earlier - she's 22. Grew up in a western country with good record keeping so her adoption papers and likely her school record will be intact somewhere, meaning it's highly unlikely they've got her age wrong and therefore she isn't Maddie.

Arguably, the 2% chance it is though, might be worth it for some.

1 hour ago, Comped said:

Arguably, the 2% chance it is though, might be worth it for some.

Hell yeah, I got the second last copy of The Star on Sunday in Tesco's and there were loads of copies of The Mail left.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

While making DNA test, the polish girl who thought she was Maddie discovered she has leukemia……

Well at least she can get treatment now, so that's nice I guess?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

While making DNA test, the polish girl who thought she was Maddie discovered she has leukemia……

Aye well, since she isn't Maddie that's an instant fast-track to more media attention. 

S'cuse the cynicism!

• Like 1

well the DNA results just came in and… THE POLISH GIRL IS MADDIE MCCAN !! 

Joking of course, they're negative, which means she's not Maddie. She's the daughter of her biological parents. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Facepalm 1

Today Madeleine McCann is (or more likely would have been) 20

I hope we will finally know the truth 

• Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Searching a reservoir

Imagine if they actually found her remains.

Finally giving the story closure would probably depress a lot of tabloid writers on both sides of the pond...

The one safe prediction in the current situation is that none of the high profile trolls who heaped hate on Kate and Gerry will come forward, cop for being wrong and issue a sincere apology for the hurt caused. 

Beyond that, I'd say all bets are off. Divers have searched that reservoir before and reported it so full of silt they have to feel their way around.

• Like 2

Case against the prime suspect is now - ermmm - a bit suspect since the main witness who dobbed him in it is starting to wobble, or summat. If yer that bother you could always buy The Sun: _131094996_thesun-nc.png.webp

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

If yer that bother you could always buy The Sun: 

Never advertise the fucking S*n ever again.

1 hour ago, TQR said:

Never advertise the fucking S*n ever again.

Not sure I was "advertising" - find me an advert that uses the slogan "if yer that bothered..."  - apologies in advance for any time I post on the aliens thread with a recent revelation blazed across the front page of that estimable repository of high-end news, The Daily Star. 

• Haha 1

Years ago I wrote for a certain line of magazines and would sometimes do articles from readers' letters or conversations over the phone. At the start the editor/publisher told me that if what people said or wrote wasn't exciting enough it was fine to just make it all up instead. He said he'd learned this when he was a reporter with the Daily Express.

1 hour ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

Years ago I wrote for a certain line of magazines and would sometimes do articles from readers' letters or conversations over the phone. At the start the editor/publisher told me that if what people said or wrote wasn't exciting enough it was fine to just make it all up instead. He said he'd learned this when he was a reporter with the Daily Express.

Mark Twain worked in a notoriously drunken newsroom, so none of this is exactly new. Indeed, there's a whole topic area better suited to the UFOs... thread about the US airship wave of sightings at the end of the nineteenth century that owed a lot to the newly installed telegraph lines and people making up lurid shit about mad inventors and cutting edge machines at large in rural America. Bollocks that was widely read, but glorious bollocks. 

Tonight's Panorama has a summary of the stuff to date in the Maddie case, news this morning on radio trailing the fact the Portuguese police apologised to the McCanns for, basically, being shite cops and heading off in the wrong investigative direction. In other news, Christian Brueckner - main suspect now - is clearly summat of a party animal where despicable sex crimes are concerned, there's a brief round up of the current tonnage of charges coming his way in the link:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67229219

• Like 1