7 hours ago, msc said:

My money, if I bet, would be on George VII. Avoids Charles as a King name, pays tribute to his grandfather, implies a strong sense of duty and continuation and not rocking the boat so good virtue signalling to any worried upper classes who read signals.

But why wouldn't he reign in his own name?  As the Queen said on her accession when asked about her regnal name:  "My own, of course."

It's very rare that an English monarch hasn't used their own first name.  The three that did choose another name all had a specific reason.

Victoria was named Alexandrina after her godfather Tsar Alexander I, but she always preferred her second given name Victoria.

Edward VII did not want to reign in his given first name of Albert, out of respect for his father.  Unlike his mother, he felt the name should stand alone.

George VI (another Albert) chose George to give a sense of continuity following the upheaval of the Abdication. 

(So Charles calling himself George to "pay tribute to his grandfather" doesn't really work.)

There's nothing wrong with Charles as a name.  The Queen would not have chosen it otherwise.  All royal names come with some sort of baggage.

20 minutes ago, Toast said:

But why wouldn't he reign in his own name?  As the Queen said on her accession when asked about her regnal name:  "My own, of course."

There's nothing wrong with Charles as a name.  The Queen would not have chosen it otherwise.  All royal names come with some sort of baggage.

Uh, because it's been reported several times that Charles would prefer one of his middle names? It's just a hint. :D

It was a big news story in 2005  based on palace leaks but Charles himself said he wouldn't public comment while his mum lived.Recently some of the tabloids ran with it again, quite possibly based on that same source.

Anyhow he might not but its not exactly plucked out of the area for a bit of fan fiction.

5 minutes ago, msc said:

Uh, because it's been reported several times that Charles would prefer one of his middle names? It's just a hint. :D

It was a big news story in 2005  based on palace leaks but Charles himself said he wouldn't public comment while his mum lived.Recently some of the tabloids ran with it again, quite possibly based on that same source.

Anyhow he might not but its not exactly plucked out of the area for a bit of fan fiction.

It all seems to have come from one throwaway comment years ago.  Every so often it gets repeated, which doesn't mean there was ever any substance to it.

I've never seen it said anywhere that Charles would prefer one of his middle names per se, just the George VII thing.

That article says "four of the past six monarchs have adopted different titles" which is wrong, it's only three as I listed above.   They are probably thinking of Edward VIII, who went by one of his other given names (David) but Edward was his first given name, so it's actually the reverse.

Anyway I think it's even less likely that he would use George now that he has a grandson named George.  It would be like stealing his name.  I'm sure William & Kate chose George because there hadn't been a George in the family for a while.

50 minutes ago, Toast said:

It's very rare that an English monarch hasn't used their own first name.  The three that did choose another name all had a specific reason.

Victoria was named Alexandrina after her godfather Tsar Alexander I, but she always preferred her second given name Victoria.

Edward VII did not want to reign in his given first name of Albert, out of respect for his father.  Unlike his mother, he felt the name should stand alone.

George VI (another Albert) chose George to give a sense of continuity following the upheaval of the Abdication.

The Last King Charles was beheaded. The historical connotations with the combination with the title seems to be the reasoning behind why he may not reign under his name.

50 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

The Last King Charles was beheaded. The historical connotations with the combination with the title seems to be the reasoning behind why he may not reign under his name.

It was the first King Charles who was beheaded.  But if they were bothered about that, he wouldn't have been named Charles in the first place. 

Like I said, all the Royal names have baggage.  You'd think they'd have steered clear of Edward because of the abdication, but they didn't.

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

It was the first King Charles who was beheaded.  But if they were bothered about that, he wouldn't have been named Charles in the first place. 

Like I said, all the Royal names have baggage.  You'd think they'd have steered clear of Edward because of the abdication, but they didn't.

Edward's biggest issue nowadays is folk who never paid notice to the Queen  having kids other than Charles and Anne (tbf Charles is Charles, Anne is charity/sports, and then there's the formerly boring other 2) now forever confuse which one certainly never visited a Pizza Express. At least I do. Luckily "Pizza Express Prince" Google clears that one up.

7 hours ago, Handrejka said:

Last night I dreamt that Prince Charles announced he would like to be known as Wednesday III on becoming king which prompted a lot of speculation about his sanity. Well it would rather wouldn't it?

Come on Handy, what did I tell you about eating cheese and pickled onions before going to bed!:D

Dreamt that Tony Blackburn died. Had to double check this morning that he is still with us.

ddonald trump in a gas mask to told me the date December 11 , I was in a hotel room and I then climbed out the window to the floor and chased someone.

Recently, thanks to meds and fucked up sleep patterns, I've been falling asleep for an hour or two while watching TV on the couch in the afternoons and my dream is often connected in bizarre ways to what I was watching and am still hearing subconsciously. Cycle racing this afternoon, but not as we know it, Jim. 

Also, at 5am today, for the first time I can ever recall, I woke (myself) up shouting/screaming at a character in my dream. It wasn't a celebrity though, it was a strange old woman with some similarities to my gran. 

The weirdest dream awakening I ever had saw me literally crying my eyes out, which thankfully has never happened since.

Sorry for nobody specific and their death, I'll try to do better in future.

16 minutes ago, Toast said:

Not dreaming, but do you all get that thing where you wake up with a start after what seemed like a loud bang inside your head? 

I was very relieved when I learned that it was a thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

Yes, I used to get it frequently but not so much now. The overly dramatic syndrome name wasn't much of a relief. :D

There's also the one where you go to sleep "too quickly" for your brain's liking, so it orders a sudden burst of adrenaline to the heart just to check yer not dying. Never ceases to make me jump a fucking mile. There's a sciency name for it but I forget it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, msc said:

Yes, I used to get it frequently but not so much now. The overly dramatic syndrome name wasn't much of a relief. :D

There's also the one where you go to sleep "too quickly" for your brain's liking, so it orders a sudden burst of adrenaline to the heart just to check yer not dying. Never ceases to make me jump a fucking mile. There's a sciency name for it but I forget it.

Well given the unnecessarily melodramatic name of the one Toast mentioned, the one you describe is probably called ‘Oh Shit I’m Dying Syndrome’.

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Toast said:

Not dreaming, but do you all get that thing where you wake up with a start after what seemed like a loud bang inside your head? 

I was very relieved when I learned that it was a thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

Mine is a door bell ringing.

I have even got up and checked the front door before now.

4 hours ago, Toast said:

Yes, occasionally I hear a bang.  I just assumed it would have been the furniture creaking.  

I have a habit of throwing my pillow about in my sleep. Apparently it's an early sign of Parkinson's disease.

• Sad 1

The funniest recent dream I had was where I was chased around a large mansion by Donald Trump where he was using his tie as a belt. I pointed it out and said 'You're using your tie as a belt, hah! What a loser!' and he hit me.

The dream I had last night was something to do with throwing poop and Baby Yoda, I dont often remember much from my dreams...

I once had a DL dream when I went onto the DL home page for it to say 50/50 dead, only for me to find out the world was ending minutes later...

11 minutes ago, Kenny McCormick said:

The funniest recent dream I had was where I was chased around a large mansion by Donald Trump where he was using his tie as a belt. I pointed it out and said 'You're using your tie as a belt, hah! What a loser!' and he hit me.

That was a wet dream, wasn’t it.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

That was a wet dream, wasn’t it.

Hate to let you down but my cock and undergarments were jizz free that night. Sorry to destroy your glamourous fantasy there... ;) 

2 hours ago, Kenny McCormick said:

Hate to let you down but my cock and undergarments were jizz free that night. Sorry to destroy your glamourous fantasy there... ;) 

You sleep in your undercrackers?  Ewww.

5 minutes ago, Toast said:

You sleep in your undercrackers?  Ewww.

Never said that, I said undergarments. I could've been wearing long johns or pantaloons for all you guys knew. 

But since you guys show keen interest, I usually sleep in either trackie bottoms, my undercrackers or just nothing at all.

4 hours ago, Kenny McCormick said:

The dream I had last night was something to do with throwing poop and Baby Yoda, I dont often remember much from my dreams...

I am glad it's not just me who has scatological related dreams. 

• Haha 2

Last night I dreamed that Jerry Lee Lewis, Peter Sutcliffe and Elton John all died today... I think deathlist is getting to my head or I must have a pretty shitty life to dream about that :mellow:

• Haha 1

On 01/11/2020 at 18:39, Handrejka said:

I have a habit of throwing my pillow about in my sleep. Apparently it's an early sign of Parkinson's disease.

That's no way to talk about your husband. :D

• Haha 1