Stayin Alive

Summer Olympic Deaths/Dead Medallists

Adolph Rupp the longtime coach of University of Kentucky Basketball might be the reason it rings a bell

Hmm, no. Adolph Kiefer actually was on my longlist, no. 1162. I must have done some research on him some time ago.

• Like 1

Adolph Kiefer, the last surviving gold medalist of the 1936 Summer Olympics and former world record-holder, has died aged 98.

EDIT: Just saw it was already posted, can a moderator delete my post?

Stephen Wooldridge, an Australian cyclist who won Gold at the 2004 Athens Games, has died aged 39.

Edit: Guardian, Independent and Daily Mail obituaries. 

Zdravko Hebel, a Yugoslav water polo player who won Gold at the 1968 Mexico City games, has died aged 74. He also served President of the Croatian Olympic Committee from 2000 to 2002.

12 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Stephen Wooldridge, an Australian cyclist who won Gold at the 2004 Athens Games, has died aged 39.

Edit: Guardian, Independent and Daily Mail obituaries. 

I figured immediately it was a suicide (we have a terribly under-utilized thread for that btw) when the gutless BBC didn't present a cause of death for a 39-year old athlete.
Gutless.  Kudos to the DM (I didn't open the other two links).
SC

Imagine the DDP point festival!

Rio Olympian Ian Lariba has been diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML), her family disclosed Tuesday.

In a statement released by DLSU Sports, Lariba’s family shared that the 22-year-old Lasallian paddler will undergo treatment this week after seeking blood donors to help her cause late since last week.

SC

Somehow I didn't have him on my shortlist (I have others though). I wonder if this was a name that competitors would rather not have mentioned on the forum. 

Actually, was this the guy @Phantom of the Midway mentioned being a potential 30 point joker? 

On 8/17/2017 at 16:29, Joey Russ said:

Actually, was this the guy @Phantom of the Midway mentioned being a potential 30 point joker? 

My pick still hasn't been mentioned on the forums, and due to the low press coverage on them (found them in a very unique way) I think there's a chance they won't be mentioned at all.

But, even they're not a unique, they'd still be a 24-point joker, which is as good as Sims/Christie/Bracknell/Downie. Probably won't joker them anyway, due to slight obit fears, and I might rather go for a more famous joker.

On 19.8.2017 at 15:13, Phantom of the Midway said:

My pick still hasn't been mentioned on the forums, and due to the low press coverage on them (found them in a very unique way) I think there's a chance they won't be mentioned at all.

But, even they're not a unique, they'd still be a 24-point joker, which is as good as Sims/Christie/Bracknell/Downie. Probably won't joker them anyway, due to slight obit fears, and I might rather go for a more famous joker.

Is s/he a sports guy/girl and comes from an island next to an island? (And is this pick not as good anymore as it was last week?)

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Is s/he a sports guy/girl and comes from an island next to an island? (And is this pick not as good anymore as it was last week?)

Nope.

But I'm fairly certain you've heard of this pick anyway.

It won't be long before I get to reveal them, because the latest news means they probably won't see Halloween.

1 minute ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

Nope.

But I'm fairly certain you've heard of this pick anyway.

It won't be long before I get to reveal him, because the latest news means he probably won't see Halloween.

Ah, so we know his gender now. 

*checks google for 20 year old man with cancer* 

Yep, I'm making him my joker now. :P 

5 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Ah, so we know his gender now. 

*checks google for 20 year old man with cancer* 

Yep, I'm making him my joker now. :P 

Dammit, I was hoping I'd edit that fast enough for nobody to notice.

Oh, well, gender isn't a big detail revealed anyway.

On 8/19/2017 at 14:13, Phantom of the Midway said:

(found them in a very unique way)

Stumbling across things is always the way to go about things.

Why, just this weekend, I was surprised to learn that... well, never mind that, but the bigger shock was that they've never been picked for the DDP before!

Well I fell for the red herring but think I've found him now ;-).

It's terrible how many sad stories you have to wade through though when researching for obitable 20 year olds dying of cancer. 

The world really isn't a fair place - you've just got to hope you and your loved ones can keep dodging the bullets.

35 minutes ago, msc said:

Stumbling across things is always the way to go about things.

Why, just this weekend, I was surprised to learn that... well, never mind that, but the bigger shock was that they've never been picked for the DDP before!

Gary West? 

1 hour ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

Dammit, I was hoping I'd edit that fast enough for nobody to notice.

Oh, well, gender isn't a big detail revealed anyway.

Not these days.

59 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Well I fell for the red herring but think I've found him now ;-).

It's terrible how many sad stories you have to wade through though when researching for obitable 20 year olds dying of cancer. 

The world really isn't a fair place - you've just got to hope you and your loved ones can keep dodging the bullets.

Given the thread we are posting in.....I mean how many 20-year old males are Olympians to begin with....and have been diagnosed with something secondly?  I'm sorry, I haven't looked but this doesn't sound the proverbial needle in the haystack.  But again, I admit having not taken the time (and for now won't) to discover this incredible find who is certain to die in the next 60 days.
SC

If you're not getting your hits from hunting lodge newsletters, you're not DDPing properly.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Josef Musil, a Czech volleyball player who won Silver at the 1964 Tokyo Games and Bronze at the 1968 Mexico City Games, has died aged 85.

David Torrence American middle distance runner who ran at Rio Olympics in 2016 found dead at bottom of a swimming pool at age of 31.

10 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

David Torrence American middle distance runner who ran at Rio Olympics in 2016 found dead at bottom of a swimming pool at age of 31.

Goddammit David, watch where you're running.

• Like 2