Stayin Alive

Summer Olympic Deaths/Dead Medallists

10 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

David Torrence American middle distance runner who ran at Rio Olympics in 2016 found dead at bottom of a swimming pool at age of 31.

I'm surprised this post wasn't filtered out.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I'm surprised this post wasn't filtered out.

I don't get it?

Swimming pools have filters? 

I think dad jokes are magnified in America.

There are filters in swimming pools, at least in the US, though you can't actually see them. I just groaned at Sir Creep's joke.

• Like 1

Google translate strikes again.  

Dutch swimmer Hansje Bunschoten died after multiple brain tumors. She participated in the Munich Olympics at 14 years old. Later in her life she had a career in media.

• Thanks 1

The second "DDT bumped this thread? I know who this is about..." I got right this week. :D

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

The second "DDT bumped this thread? I know who this is about..." I got right this week. :D

Bill Heine was the other one, right? 

22 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Hah.

Btw, this was my "totally 100% on DI's team" guy. Only a wee bit of misdirection, honest.

37 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Athlete Lindy Remigino, 86, who won two gold medals (100m and 4x100m) at the 1952 Helsinki Olympics, suffering from pancreatic cancer  :skull:

He's had it since last fall and is still able to regularly visit chemo. Doesn't seem to be in immediate danger. Maybe he'll pull a Ruth B. Ginsburg or an Aretha and survive. 

But he's 86 and he may die regardless.

32 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

:) It's all part of my cunning plan.  They weren't going to be unique picks because somebody else already knew about them, therefore why hold back?  My view is that the more saturated the field is with worthy candidates, the less necessary it will be for others to research and potentially find out about the picks I'm more confident they don't know about :ninja:

(As you might have gathered I'm actually doing some work to improve my DDP performance next year.  I don't like having to scroll down to find out where I am on the leaderboard) 

• Like 1

I have a feeling that the few unique possibilities of mine that will remain, will be shared with DDT - just like when we both picked Gary Haggarty and Ronald Mulkearns.

Remigino was in my B-Team roster, and will stay there until he DIES.

I can already tell my B-Team is largely going to be an "old people who are interesting enough that you want to pick them, but not famous enough (ie no Drop 40) for the main team" dumping ground.

Honestly, that’s what my potential B Team looks like right now as well. It’s a mix of old and interesting folk who aren’t main team material and some younger folk who I have a gut feeling will make 2019 that aren’t too risky to miss...

People planning out their reserves? Mine was just the 20 names I liked that didn't make the actual Pan Breed team.

1 hour ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

:) It's all part of my cunning plan.  They weren't going to be unique picks because somebody else already knew about them, therefore why hold back?  My view is that the more saturated the field is with worthy candidates, the less necessary it will be for others to research and potentially find out about the picks I'm more confident they don't know about :ninja:

(As you might have gathered I'm actually doing some work to improve my DDP performance next year.  I don't like having to scroll down to find out where I am on the leaderboard) 

Good thinking - the number of deadpoolers which know US medal of honour winner Gary Beikirch is struggling with cancer, the better.

Naim Süleymanoğlu, Bulgarian/Turkish weightlifter and 3-time Olympic champion, who was the first and only weightlifter who snatched 2.5 times his body weight, has died aged 50 after being placed into intensive care due to liver failure caused by cirrhosis.

https://www.dailysabah.com/turkey/2017/11/18/weightlifting-legend-naim-suleymanoglu-dies-at-age-50

44 minutes ago, ObakeFilter said:

Naim Süleymanoğlu, Bulgarian/Turkish weightlifter and 3-time Olympic champion, who was the first and only weightlifter who snatched 2.5 times his body weight, has died aged 50 after being placed into intensive care due to liver failure caused by cirrhosis.

https://www.dailysabah.com/turkey/2017/11/18/weightlifting-legend-naim-suleymanoglu-dies-at-age-50

Cirrhosis?  Lifts 2.5 times his body weight only to be done in by 12 ounce curls.