Stayin Alive

Summer Olympic Deaths/Dead Medallists

Possibly one for charon's thread, but I can't find it, so it's here as a "dead medalist". Jarrod Bannister won the gold for javelin at Commonwealth games in 2010, got banned for 20 months for going MIA on 3 drug tests, dead aged 33 of "no suspicious circumstances".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, msc said:

Possibly one for charon's thread, but I can't find it, so it's here as a "dead medalist". Jarrod Bannister won the gold for javelin at Commonwealth games in 2010, got banned for 20 months for going MIA on 3 drug tests, dead aged 33 of "no suspicious circumstances".

Damn shame he will be missing upcoming anti-doping tests.  I mean what with him being clean and all.

Double-gold winner Yury Tyukalov, single-sculls, Helsink 1952 and double-sculls Melbourne 1956 has died aged 87.

He survived the siege of Leningrad and has an annual St. Petersburg rowing event named after him.

On 1/4/2008 at 20:49, DevonDeathTrip said:

Former Olympic gold medalist figure skater, Dorothy Hamill, is suffering from breast cancer.

Talking of the Olympics and cancer....this one's a bit dodgy but I'm sure MPFC will snap him up... Rob Daley the father of young diving sensation Tom Daley, who is set to compete in the Olympics this year at the age of 13, is suffering from a malignant brain tumour. If Amir Kahn's father was to drop dead, it would certainly be mentioned in the press, so I think Rob Daley would get the same treatment, especially if his son does well.

Interview and update for cancer survivor Dorothy Hamill, seeing as over 10 years has passed since DDT's post.
SC

Alan Geldard, UK bronze medal winner in cycling at the 1948 London Olympics dead at 90:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/olympian-alan-geldard--famously-14403478

He was once sacked from his day job for training too much. That was the time when olympic medal winners still had day jobs.

Hmm, there's an article showing up in google that Bill Lucas has died. However, I'm getting a "not found" when I click on it.

Jo Pavey has tweeted it but still nada:

Certifiably a 100% War Criminal.

Cunt.

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Hmm, there's an article showing up in google that Bill Lucas has died. However, I'm getting a "not found" when I click on it.

I saw that and thought I'm sure I've got him in one of my pools.

Bit late for the Advent Avalanche though.

Sort of, related - we'll likely hear Jerusalem a few times as English competitors secure Commonwealth gold medals.

The whole meaning of that song changes if you hear the line "nor shall my sword sleep in my hand" as a reference to grasping a blood-drenched boner (at which point the entire lyric around it is basically a hymn to jingoistic wank and inescapable little Englander fantasies).

Or summat

Thought I'd share the observation.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Sort of, related - we'll likely hear Jerusalem a few times as English competitors secure Commonwealth gold medals.

The whole meaning of that song changes if you hear the line "nor shall my sword sleep in my hand" as a reference to grasping a blood-drenched boner (at which point the entire lyric around it is basically a hymn to jingoistic wank and inescapable little Englander fantasies).

Or summat

Thought I'd share the observation.

Didn't Jesus go to Glastonbury?

13 minutes ago, Cat O'Falk said:

Dressed as Bono I think. 

37 minutes ago, Cat O'Falk said:

People from Glastonbury have been claiming that for years - centuries before Easy Jet, mind

On 13/05/2016 at 13:47, msc said:

2014 Commonwealth Games Judo silver medalist, Stephanie Inglis, has a motorbike accident in Vietnam and is in a serious condition.

Put on the beef with the £300k raised, and now a coach.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-43725586

15 minutes ago, charon said:

Put on the beef with the £300k raised, and now a coach.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-43725586

"Sometimes I feel like the people of Scotland and this place where I'm from brought me back to life."

Really? So the £300k had nothing to do with it!

Fucking hell, next she will be telling us that it was all 'Scottish donations.....'  :lol:

• Haha 1

I'm not really talking Olympians here and the ideas and possibilities thread for 2018 is closed but...

London Marathon organisers have already indicated Sunday might be the hottest (weather wise) race ever. So, just wondering if there's any well-meaning middle-aged chubster in your area already outing him/herself as one running in a costume for a heart-breaking personal reason. 

Just sayin'

Rob Matthews, who has died from a brain tumour aged 56, was a blind middle and long-distance runner who defied his disability to win eight gold medals for Britain in seven Paralympic Games and break 22 world records; in 1986 he became the first blind runner to run the 800 m in under two minutes.

I didn't see that one coming.

SC

• Like 1