Stayin Alive

Summer Olympic Deaths/Dead Medallists

http://www.huffingto..._n_2976263.html

Soraya Jiminez, who in 2000 became the first female Olympic champion for Mexico when she got the Gold in weightlifting, has died of a heart attack at 35.

So she can't sue anyone for putting her name and the words "drug cheat" in the same sentence, then. Maybe if they provisionally awarded strength-related gold medals at the Olympics and then agreed they'd only do the ceremony for every winning athlete who made it to the age of 70...

Just an idea, like.

But lot's of steroid users still make it to old age. Like only 1 of The Mr Olympia winners has died so far and he lived to be71 and in Bodybuilding competitions people have been using since for at least 5 decades now.

• Like 1

But lot's of steroid users still make it to old age. Like only 1 of The Mr Olympia winners has died so far and he lived to be71 and in Bodybuilding competitions people have been using since for at least 5 decades now.

Aaw, really? Damn. Steroids was the reason I put Vince McMahon and Hulk Hogan on my list. And the reason I almost put Schwarzenegger on there.

Explosions reported at the finish line of the Boston Marathon as I post this! Terrorists, or a burger van gone off by accident?

Explosions reported at the finish line of the Boston Marathon as I post this! Terrorists, or a burger van gone off by accident?

North Korean rocket ? lol

Guest Guest

reports say some of the relatives of the Newtown shooting may be among the dead and injured. too tragic :(

North Korean rocket ? lol

Someone who was a fan of Four Lions perhaps

True story - I've just spent the last couple of hours worrying my pretty little head off, as one of my friends flew out to Boston today for work - I've just found out that she went to Boston in Ireland.......I feel like a bit of a dick.

• Like 1

True story - I've just spent the last couple of hours worrying my pretty little head off, as one of my friends flew out to Boston today for work - I've just found out that she went to Boston in Ireland.......I feel like a bit of a dick.

You would have felt even more of a dick if it was Boston in Lincolnshire...

• Like 1

Well, actually I don't feel a dick now - the mutual friend who told us 'don't worry, she's in Ireland' was wrong, and she is in Boston USA. Thankfully have received a message, she is fine :)

Well, actually I don't feel a dick now - the mutual friend who told us 'don't worry, she's in Ireland' was wrong, and she is in Boston USA. Thankfully have received a message, she is fine :)

Ahh, I think your friend was being a little bit facetious considering the fact that said city is famous for it's population if Irish extraction...

The last surviving British Gold Medallist of the 1948 Olympic Games in London, David Bond, has died - http://www.falmouthp...avid_Bond_dies/

I see this would be a DDP hit for MPFC - does itv.com count as a valid obit source? If not, then he hasn't - yet - got the required obituary.

If BBC & SKY count why not ITV?

Serious question.

Does Sky count? If so, the Pardee obit should be accepted. I thought Sky didnt count hence me remaining quiet

Depends on what part of Sky you're talking about. If it was a brief piece on the main news site saying "Jack Pardee is dead" then that might be acceptable. But it seemed to be tucked away in some obscure part and was just a link to an external site that wasn't even AP. So I thought I needed a bit more meat than that...

EDIT: I'm actually quite surprised that the old standby of the Guardian Worldfeed article didn't come up with the goods..

Does Sky count? If so, the Pardee obit should be accepted. I thought Sky didnt count hence me remaining quiet

Depends on what part of Sky you're talking about. If it was a brief piece on the main news site saying "Jack Pardee is dead" then that might be acceptable. But it seemed to be tucked away in some obscure part and was just a link to an external site that wasn't even AP. So I thought I needed a bit more meat than that...

EDIT: I'm actually quite surprised that the old standby of the Guardian Worldfeed article didn't come up with the goods..

Sky Sports has a TV show called "Total Access" that covers the week in NFL. A mention on there would count, yes? Am I going to have to get torrenting to see if one came up?

Here is a reminder of the rules:

Please let us know if you spot an obit for one of these people (or even just a passing mention of their death) in a British national news source.

Acceptable sources include (but are not limited to): BBC News, Independent, Guardian, Telegraph, Observer, Reuters UK.

We do not accept: Local or regional British newspapers, special interest media (e.g. Snooker Weekly or whatever), non-UK media, general Internet news pages (MSN etc), blogs, or Wikipedia!!

Now of course with a lot of rules, this is open to interpretation. I felt though that the best you could throw at me with Pardee just didn't quite cut it.

It must be from an accessible source and written down. If that link was from AP then I would have probably accepted it. But it seemed to be from the Saginaw Pig Fertilizer Gazette or something, which isn't good enough...

Sports Illustrated is hardly Saginaw Pig Fertilzer Gazette...

Sports Illustrated is hardly Saginaw Pig Fertilzer Gazette...

Except maybe the Swimsuit Edition.

From Stan Vickers' wikipedia:

He competed for Great Britain in the 20 kilometre walk at the 1960 Summer Olympics held in Rome, Italy, where he won the bronze medal.

After the race, he sat down to rest and was carried off by an ambulance crew that thought he was sick. The crew did not speak English. Several hours passed before officials discovered what had happened.[3]

The last surviving British Gold Medallist of the 1948 Olympic Games in London, David Bond, has died - http://www.falmouthp...avid_Bond_dies/

I see this would be a DDP hit for MPFC - does itv.com count as a valid obit source? If not, then he hasn't - yet - got the required obituary.

Where's the ITV link?

• Like 1