Stayin Alive

Summer Olympic Deaths/Dead Medallists

Former world and European judo champion Craig Fallon has tragically died aged 36.

By Siba Jackson 14.07, 16 Jul 2019 UPDATED 15.07, 16 Jul 2019

Fallon claimed gold in the -60kg final at the 2005 World Championships. 

He was also crowned the winner of the 2006 European Championships and the 2007 World Cup.

Fallon is the third British man in history to win a judo world title. 

The athlete also won gold in the Commonwealth Games in 2002 and participated in the 2004 and 2008 Olympics.  

The cause of his death has yet to be revealed.

Suicide?

SC

• Like 1

Jorma Kinnunen has died at 77. He won the javelin silver medal for Finland in Mexico 1968.

On June 18. 1969 Kinnunen threw a world record 92,70m

Mike Troy, US swimmer who won Gold at the 1960 Rome Games in 200m Butterfly and the 4x200m Freestyle Relay, has died aged 78.

On 04/08/2019 at 11:10, YoungWillz said:

British silver medallist in the Marathon at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, Basil Heatley, reported dead at 85: http://bmaf.org.uk/2019/08/04/the-passing-of-basil-heatley/

Just heard this news on the European Athletics on the TV

Also held the marathon world record so worthy of note.

He outlived the gold and bronze medalists by 50 years.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/disability-sport/49431806

Dzmitry Ryshkevich, Belurusian para - rower dies aged 33.

Not an olympian but I couldn't find a better thread.

There's the Slavs thread.

https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/8487-slavs/

On 22/08/2019 at 19:23, Skinny kiltrunner said:

So is there a listing of all the available threads somewhere? The search function sometimes isn't that helpful. I mean, Slavs thread? Wouldn't even occur to me.

You can find all the thread names by clicking on the category on the forums page. The downside is you get only 25 titles and then have to click for the next page to see the next 25.

If you click on this link you can download a pdf of the 2019 names and forum titles all stitched together. The main advantage is you can search for a term of fewer than four characters. I've ordered them by date created.

Click 'download' then 'direct download' in the top right hand corner. If you get a pop up asking you to create an account, just close the pop up and click on 'download' again.

Let me know if you want 'dead pools' and 'extra-curricular'.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cat O'Falk said:

If its on offer, for sure.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Cat O'Falk said:

You can find all the thread names by clicking on the category on the forums page. The downside is you get only 25 titles and then have to click for the next page to see the next 25.

If you click on this link you can download a pdf of the 2019 names and forum titles all stitched together. The main advantage is you can search for a term of fewer than four characters. I've ordered them by date created.

Click 'download' then 'direct download' in the top right hand corner. If you get a pop up asking you to create an account, just close the pop up and click on 'download' again.

Ah, I see what you mean about just clicking  through the categories pages, and I guess I already knew that  but it  just seemed kinda unwieldy.  There are 94 pages  (THAT I didn't know), descending by date. If there are 25 per page,  that makes over 2300 threads.  The oldest one hasn't been touched since March 2004 (Ian Huntley / Ma><ine Carr ).  I guess I better start memorizing- my biggest fear is posting something and having someone tell me it belongs somewhere else. Well, ok, not my biggest fear, maybe number 325, but its there nonetheless. Kinda like this discussion being in this thread. 

1 minute ago, Cat O'Falk said:

And thats how you became the Fresh Prince of Deathlist.  Yes, I make references based on my Netflix watching now.

Ta, anyhow!

• Haha 1

Could those invaluable links be pinned somewhere handy, please?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Toast said:

Could those invaluable links be pinned somewhere handy, please?

Totally agree with that.

51 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Five-foot-five bodybuilder, Franco Columbu, who was a two-time Mr. Olympia, competed in the World's Strongest Man, and appeared in "The Terminator" as the future terminator dead at 78 years. He also acted alongside Schwarzenegger in "Conan the Barbarian"

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/08/franco-columbo-dead/

Why in this thread and not for example in Needlars thread?

49 minutes ago, drol said:

Why in this thread and not for example in Needlars thread?

He was two time Mr. Olympia, thats how in the Olympic Thread :D

• Like 1

Gerhard Auer, 1-time gold-medalist in 1972 who competed for West Germany in coxed four rowing dead at 76 (in German).

Competed in the 1972 Munich Games. Was also a World Champion and 2-time European Champion in the same event.

Ivan Kizimov, 2-time gold-medalist in 1968 and 1972 who competed for the USSR in equestrian dead at 91 (in Russian).

Competed at the 1964 Tokyo, 1968 Mexico City and 1972 Munich Games winning a bronze and silver alongside the 2 golds. Was also a 1-time World Champion in team dressage.

Faling within the medallist part of this thread, reports coming in of the death of Ricky Wilde, World Indoor gold medallist at the 1970 European Championships and sometime indoor world record holder:

• Like 1