Stayin Alive

Summer Olympic Deaths/Dead Medallists

7 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Imagine the surprise to his mum when he was still crowning yet able to join the Olympic shooting team.

What the fuck do you find funny about a woman dying in childbirth?  You really are a cunt sometimes.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Toast said:

What the fuck do you find funny about a woman dying in childbirth?  You really are a cunt sometimes.

Hey you man-woman, I posted out the grammar, but you couldn’t focus on that. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Hey you man-woman, I posted out the grammar, but you couldn’t focus on that. 

No, oddly enough I couldn't. :blink:

• Like 1

Paralympian Angela Madsen has died attempting to row solo across the Pacific. She was aiming to be the first paraplegic and oldest woman to achieve the feat.

“To row an ocean solo was her biggest goal. She knew the risks better than any of us and was willing to take those risks because being at sea made her happier than anything else. She told us time and again that if she died trying, that is how she wanted to go.” 

• Like 1

Not to belittle it, but does Los Angeles to Hawaii really count as "rowing across the Pacific Ocean"?  It's not quite what I imagined.

59 minutes ago, Toast said:

Not to belittle it, but does Los Angeles to Hawaii really count as "rowing across the Pacific Ocean"?  It's not quite what I imagined.

Valid question; I assumed Hawaii was a stop-off half-way but now that I've read more, it seems that was the final destination. 

I suppose its down to interpretation/semantics - if you've gone half way across, you've still rowed across, rather than up & down. Who knows.

France's youngest ever Olympic medallist, Noël Vandernotte, has died aged 96.

He was 12 years and 233 days when competed in Berlin 1936, winning two bronze medals for rowing.

Speaking in 2008, he detailed his experience of competing at the Games - best known for being hosted by the fascist regime in Germany at the time.

"When I arrived in Berlin, there were Nazi flags everywhere, armed soldiers dressed all in black in the midst of swastika banners, he said.

When I got home at my parents' home in Nantes, I told them when i was 12 years old: there is going to be war."

Vandernotte was then part of the French Resistance during the Second World War and later attempted to qualify for the 1948 Olympics in London.

• Like 2

Gary Longhi, a four-time Paralympian, three-time medalist and Canada's flag-bearer for the 2000 Sydney Paralympics opening ceremonies, has died. He was 56. Longhi, a road cyclist, participated in the '88, '92, '96 and 2000 games, capturing a gold, silver and bronze over his Olympic career.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/paralympics/gary-longhi-obit-1.5637277

• Like 1

Germany's 1964 Olympic decathlon champion Willi Holdorf has died aged 80.

He left he sport immediately after the games but later won Silver in the 2 man Bob in the 1973 European championships, and coached other athletes, football club Fortuna Cologne and was a fitness coach for the German Davis Cup team.

He was inducted into the German Sports Hall of Fame in 2011.

• Like 1

Olympic silver medalist Ben Jipcho died a week ago aged 77.

He won his silver in the 1968 Olympic 3000m Steeplechase, but is probably best remembered as the pacesetter for compatriot Kip Keino in the 1500m, which lead to Keino beating hot favourite Jim Ryun.

10 hours ago, time said:

Olympic silver medalist Ben Jipcho died a week ago aged 77.

He won his silver in the 1968 Olympic 3000m Steeplechase, but is probably best remembered as the pacesetter for compatriot Kip Keino in the 1500m, which lead to Keino beating hot favourite Jim Ryun.

‘He died on the same day that Ryun was to be awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honor in the United States.’

https://www.espn.com/olympics/trackandfield/story/_/id/29530740/former-track-phenom-jim-ryun-receives-presidential-medal-freedom

John Russell (wiki), American Olympic equestrian (1948, 1952), dead at 100. Won a bronze medal in Helsinki in 1952.

He was the only living Olympic medalist over 100.

The oldest Olympic medalist now is Hungarian gymnast Agnes Keleti (wiki), b. January 1921.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

John Russell (wiki), American Olympic equestrian (1948, 1952), dead at 100. Won a bronze medal in Helsinki in 1952.

He was the only living Olympic medalist over 100.

The oldest Olympic medalist now is Hungarian gymnast Agnes Keleti (wiki), b. January 1921.

Should really be in the centenarian thread..

42 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

Should really be in the centenarian thread..

1) No it shouldn't. Notability should trump age. Threads like the centenarian one or the generic Deaths in 2020 should only be used where there isn't a clear place to post them.

2) Shut the fuck up.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

1) No it shouldn't. Notability should trump age. Threads like the centenarian one or the generic Deaths in 2020 should only be used where there isn't a clear place to post them.

2) Shut the fuck up.

I agree with your first statement, but will say again that I think ALL deaths should be recorded in the yearly death thread.  It should act as a complete record.

I agree wholeheartedly with (2).

• Like 1

I thought The 100 Club was a general thread for all notable 100+ even those at own thread level.

40 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I thought The 100 Club was a general thread for all notable 100+ even those at own thread level.

I said it trumps it. Big difference between could and should. 

Notability by profession should be prioritised IMO. If Norman Lloyd or Renee Simonot died I’d post it in the Hollywood thread. If some total non-entity who is really only on our radars for being 100+ died I’d post it in the centenarian thread.

Just been discovered by Oldest Olympians that Brazilian swimmer Willy Otto Jordan (wiki), in fact died this time last year aged 99.

• Like 1

1952 Olympic 400-metre gold medalist Charlie Moore has died aged 91. He ws also world record holder in the 440-yard hurdles event.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1