Stayin Alive

Summer Olympic Deaths/Dead Medallists

June Foulds, British athlete who won Bronze at the 1952 Helsinki Olympics in the Women’s 4x100m and then Silver at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics in the Women’s 4x100m, has died aged 86.

She also won medals at the European and Commonwealth Games, and appeared on Desert Island Discs.

• Like 2

Walt ‘Buddy’ Davis, American athlete who won Gold at the 1952 Helsinki Olympics in the high jump, has died age 89.

After the Olympics he became a professional basketball player, playing for the Philadelphia Warriors (1953-58) and the St. Louis Hawks (1958), becoming NBA Champion in 1956 and 1958. 

• Like 2

Billy Evans, American basketball player who was part of the Gold winning team at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics, has died aged 88.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomTomTelekom said:

American Olympic decathlete Rafer Johnson, who won gold in the 1960 Rome Olympics and silver in the 1956 Melbourne Olympics, died at 85 years:

http://www.thesportsexaminer.com/athletics-olympic-decathlon-gold-medalist-rafer-johnson-passes-at-85/

He later became a film actor.

He was in Licence to Kill, but wasn't picked for SHBD3.

• Like 2

Kinuko Idogawa, one of the victorious Japanese volleyball team of the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, nicknamed the Oriental Witches, has died from a brain haemorrhage aged 81. She'd have been  a torch bearer for this years Olympics, had they not been postponed.

• Like 1

Summer olympic openers alive:

1956: Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (b. 1921)

1976: Queen Elizabeth II (b. 1926)

1988: President of South Korea Roh Tae-woo (b. 1932)

1992: King of Spain Juan Carlos I (b. 1937)

1996: President Bill Clinton (b. 1946)

2000: Governor-general of Australia William Deane (b. 1931)

2008: President Hu Jintao (b. 1942)

2012: Queen Elizabeth II (b. 1926)

2016: Acting President Michel Temer (b. 1940)

• Like 2

On the morning of Friday, November 27, 2020, U.S. Olympic champion sailor Kevin Burnham (born – 1956; Queens, N.Y.) passed away after a long, courageous battle with pulmonary disease.

Burnham is a three-time Olympic sailor and a two-time Olympic medalist for Team USA. He won the gold medal with Paul Foerster in 2004 and a silver medal with Morgan Reeser in 1992. Burnham and Foerster were named Rolex Yachtsman of the Year for their gold medal performance. Burnham also won a gold medal at the 1986 Goodwill Games.

SCunto

• Like 1

Per Oskar "Pelle" Svensson, Swedish Greco-Roman wrestler and lawyer died a couple days ago at age 77 after suffering from cancer. Got a silver medal in the 1964 summer olympics in wrestling, light heavyweight class.

He was later the defence attorney of Finnish triple murderer Juha Valjakkala (now Nikita Bergenström, b. 1965) who murdered a family of three in 1988 and is still incarcerated, and "Bomb-man" Lars Tingström (1934-1993) who was convicted of three bomb attacks in Stockholm and claimed that he was involved in the murder of Olof Palme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelle_Svensson

• Like 2

British race walker Paul Nihill died a couple of weeks ago, aged 81, another covid-related death.

He was the first British male athlete to compete in four consecutive summer olympics ('64 to '76), winning silver in Tokyo '64.  In a 3-year period from 1967-71 he lost only one race, that being the Olympic 50km, when he collapsed suffering from heat exhaustion at the 44k mark. He won 96 consecutive races  in the UK between '67 & '71.

• Like 3

Not dear but certainly receiving a valid obit when the time comes.

Oldest living Olympic champion, 5 times gold in gymnastics, turns 100 on January 9th.

Eligible for the 100 club and holocaust survivors as well.

• Like 1

Bill Nankeville, 1948 and 1952 GB competitor in the 1500m and various relays, seems to have died:

Bobby Davro's dad.

Pick for @Handrejka on the Shadowlist at least, dunno about the DDP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Bill Nankeville, 1948 and 1952 GB competitor in the 1500m and various relays, seems to have died:

Bobby Davro's dad.

Pick for @Handrejka on the Shadowlist at least, dunno about the DDP.

Never picked on the DDP. (Although tbf as a sports fan I was "today years old" to quote the kids when I first heard of him!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

Never picked on the DDP. (Although tbf as a sports fan I was "today years old" to quote the kids when I first heard of him!)

I had only heard of him about three weeks ago.

Just now, Handrejka said:

I had only heard of him about three weeks ago.

Fucking chancer!:D

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Fucking chancer!:D

Always. At least it was original research though and not like last year where I just stuck Trebek on without really knowing who he was because his named had cropped up here.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

not like last year where I just stuck Trebek on without really knowing who he was because his named had cropped up here.

Me too, and I always feel like it's cheating.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toast said:

Me too, and I always feel like it's cheating.

We all do it!