Stayin Alive

Summer Olympic Deaths/Dead Medallists

On 02/04/2021 at 21:51, alt obits guy said:

Clara LaMore, a member of the 1948 United States Olympic swimming team, has died. She was 94.  She participated in the 200m breaststroke.

https://www.providencejournal.com/story/sports/2021/04/02/ri-olympic-swimmer-clara-lamore-walker-dies-94/7066377002/

Looks like teammate Suzanne Zimmerman (wikidied a few weeks before her, aged 95.

Leaves just one survivor from the 28-member 1948 Olympic swimming team for the USA – Penny Pence (wiki), turns 92 in May.

• Like 2

Diana Igaly, the skeet shooting gold medallist in 2004 (Athens) has died aged 56. Covid-19. She was also bronze medallist at Sydney, 2000.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 14:20, arghton said:

Summer olympic openers alive:

1956: Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (b. 1921)

1976: Queen Elizabeth II (b. 1926)

1988: President of South Korea Roh Tae-woo (b. 1932)

Elizabeth inherits Philip's title as earliest alive opener of the Summer Olympics

• Like 1

Antal Kiss, a Hungarian Olympic silver medalist in racewalking at the 1968 games, has died. He was 85.

https://www.nemzetisport.hu/atletika/gyasz-elhunyt-kiss-antal-olimpiai-ezustermes-gyaloglo-2819683

(Hungarian-language obit)

And, given his surname, we should honour him in the most obvious manner.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, alt obits guy said:

Antal Kiss

Thank heavens for that 't'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Russian shot putter and discus thrower Tamara Press, who won three Olympic gold medals and one silver over two Olympics, died at 83 years:

https://stadium.ru/news/26-04-2021-na-84-m-godu-ushla-iz-jizni-olimpiiskaya-chempionka-tamara-press

She won gold at the 1960 Olympics where boxer Muhamad Ali also took home the gold.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Russian shot putter and discus thrower Tamara Press, who won three Olympic gold medals and one silver over two Olympics, died at 83 years:

https://stadium.ru/news/26-04-2021-na-84-m-godu-ushla-iz-jizni-olimpiiskaya-chempionka-tamara-press

She won gold at the 1960 Olympics where boxer Muhamad Ali also took home the gold.

Actually, list of the missed. Handrejka used to pick her a few times.

On 26/04/2021 at 16:36, TomTomTelekom said:

On 26/04/2021 at 17:30, gcreptile said:

Actually, list of the missed. Handrejka used to pick her a few times.

Tamara Press would have obited: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2021/04/30/tamara-press-olympic-athletics-champion-whose-career-overshadowed/

That's the Press for you, never understand their reasoning for who and who doesn't obit....

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Tamara Press would have obited: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2021/04/30/tamara-press-olympic-athletics-champion-whose-career-overshadowed/

That's the Press for you, never understand their reasoning for who and who doesn't obit....

You're just being bitter because Howarth hasn't got one yet ;)

To boost your confidence a little, Hywel Francis (former Lab MP) died way back in early Feb. Only just got a Telegraph obit the other day. So still hope.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

You're just being bitter because Howarth hasn't got one yet ;)

To boost your confidence a little, Hywel Francis (former Lab MP) died way back in early Feb. Only just got a Telegraph obit the other day. So still hope.

Not really, it's just crazy when folk who have never had a UK hit get obits everywhere, people who have had UK Number Ones don't, bringing Yahoo back has given some simply amazing hits who wouldn't have previously. Not even all GB Olympians get a guaranteed one these days.

With Tamara Press, I can only suggest...prurience?

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Not really, it's just crazy when folk who have never had a UK hit get obits everywhere, people who have had UK Number Ones don't, bringing Yahoo back has given some simply amazing hits who wouldn't have previously. Not even all GB Olympians get a guaranteed one these days.

With Tamara Press, I can only suggest...prurience?

Not sure. I think it's probably simpler than that – the obit writers of the big three (Guardian, Telegraph, Times) try to pick subjects from a wide range of backgrounds/professions in order to keep their section as varied/interesting as possible.

There's been an unusually large number of former MPs who have died in the last few months, and as such I think they'll be putting a few on ice for now.

I know for certain, because I've had it confirmed by at least two of them, that the obit writers shuffle some individuals into a "maybe" category and then eventually make a decision depending on how slow or fast the coming days, weeks and months are with other subsequent deaths.

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

Not sure. I think it's probably simpler than that – the obit writers of the big three (Guardian, Telegraph, Times) try to pick subjects from a wide range of backgrounds/professions in order to keep their section as varied/interesting as possible.

There's been an unusually large number of former MPs who have died in the last few months, and as such I think they'll be putting a few on ice for now.

I know for certain, because I've had it confirmed by at least two of them, that the obit writers shuffle some individuals into a "maybe" category and then eventually make a decision depending on how slow or fast the coming days, weeks and months are with other subsequent deaths.

Well, imo, if the British press cannot honour the contribution of their own, it's crazy.

Take Sutton, out of public life for donkeys, millionaire, no real contribution to the country. Murdered, full obit. Also, a lot of these seem to be determined on the personal likes of the journos - I mean, a Spanish comedian who happened to be a meme? Tiny local jazz exponents in some godforsaken backwater of the USA? Shock G for gawd's sake?

I've given up caring. I'll freely admit to finding some folk interesting, while remaining astonished at some of those whose obits seem only to be clickbait.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Well, imo, if the British press cannot honour the contribution of their own, it's crazy.

Take Sutton, out of public life for donkeys, millionaire, no real contribution to the country. Murdered, full obit. Also, a lot of these seem to be determined on the personal likes of the journos - I mean, a Spanish comedian who happened to be a meme? Tiny local jazz exponents in some godforsaken backwater of the USA? Shock G for gawd's sake?

I've given up caring. I'll freely admit to finding some folk interesting, while remaining astonished at some of those whose obits seem only to be clickbait.

Yes, I tend to agree with this.

Not just the quality, the quantity has been reduced over the past year. Particularly noticeable on the Guardian site. Can't see why journalists sat on their arse at home under lockdown would be a reason for fewer obits... surely the opposite?

• Like 1

Scrub Indian Olympic hockey player Ravindra Pal Singh off your Scavenger Hunt entries, he's died, aged 62.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time said:

Scrub Indian Olympic hockey player Ravindra Pal Singh off your Scavenger Hunt entries, he's died, aged 62.

And his Olympic teammate M K Kaushik is dead at 66, while the rest of the team goes for a rapid check-up.

• Like 1

https://www.expressen.se/gt/sport/friidrott/sjobergs-tillstand-samre-inlagd-pa-sjukhus-igen/

Patrik Sjöberg, 56-year old Swedish world record-breaking 1984 and 1992 high jump silver medalist and 1988 bronze medalist hospitalized again.

Cocaine and alcohol use, bad habits. He was anesthetized for two weeks in March for sepsis and bronchitis (that he thought were covid). He now has bronchitis again and some kind of a bacterial infection in his spine or back.

5 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Since nobody's been arsed to mention it outside of the pools forum, I'll give a nod to Lee Evans's death here. Mexico City '68 400m gold winner, and model for a fetching black beret, dahlings.

3000.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

On the same day, fellow San Jose State alumni Jamaica's Neville Myton died, also 74.

• Like 1

If it hasn’t been mentioned, Jamaica's Neville Myton died, also 74.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Since nobody's been arsed to mention it outside of the pools forum, I'll give a nod to Lee Evans's death here. Mexico City '68 400m gold winner, and model for a fetching black beret, dahlings.

3000.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

Winning his second gold of those games (4 x 400), they still had tape on the finishing line in those days

_118581497_leeevanstwo_getty.jpg

Long distance legend Ron Hill, who went on to set up his own sportswear label, dead at 82.

• Like 1

British Hockey gold medallist from 1988 Olympics Imran Sherwani has announced he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2019. Presumably former teammate Steve Batchelor is in better shape as he's planning to run a marathon to support Sherwani https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/hockey/57324796

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Team GB competitor from the 1996 Games in Atlanta in the marathon, Scottish distance runner Karen Nicolson (nee MacLeod) has died aged 63: https://athleticsweekly.com/athletics-news/olympic-marathon-runner-karen-macleod-dies-1039945841/

Represented Britain in the World Championships and Scotland in the Commonwealth  Games.

• Like 2