Stayin Alive

Summer Olympic Deaths/Dead Medallists

Eric Shirley who helped set the pace for gold medal winner Chris Brasher seems to be the last athlete still alive from the 1956 olympic steeplechase final

Rink Babka, American athlete who won Silver in the Discus at the 1960 Rome Olympics, has died aged 85. He held the world record from 1960-61.

• Like 2

(Wiki) Keto Losaberidze gold medalist of 1980 Moscow games from Georgia (U.S.S.R)  in archery dead at 72.

DOD seems to be Jan. 23, 2022

Scavenger Hunt miss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Szilveszter Csollany, Hungarian gymnast who won Gold on the rings at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, has died aged 51.

Covid related death and had previously posted anti vaccination messages on social media. 

2 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Szilveszter Csollany, Hungarian gymnast who won Gold on the rings at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, has died aged 51.

He ran rings…around a contrived use of consonants.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Covid related death and had previously posted anti vaccination messages on social media. 

He had been vaccinated a few weeks before he was hospitalised.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10439043/Szilveszter-Csollany-Anti-vax-Hungarian-Olympic-gold-medallist-dies-Covid-aged-51.html

Well, the Daily Mail says he got the jab "to continue working as a coach". Maybe he was anti-vax and just got a fake one. Or, Hungary bought a lot of Sinovax. That was already rather ineffective against early variants, probably only more so now.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

That’s a surprise. 

No it isn't. Whether or not someone has the vaccine isn't the only big determining factor to the severity of COVID in individuals, and this is what ppl seem to struggle with the most in understanding why most of us, vaccinated or unvaccinated, will suffer from the virus no more than we would a bad head cold.

Underlying conditions is ofc the most obvious other factor. Past exposure to the virus, or similar viruses is another which is seldom discussed but so vital – in fact, even if you're the type of person who never gets colds then you're more at risk because of how badly your immune system will respond. Genetics is also a huge factor, as is ethnicity. 

So turns out he was jabbed and ppl are shocked that he still died. Why? I don't get that. 

On an aside, thanks to an FOI the other day, we now know that just ~18,000 of the ~171,000 COVID deaths in the UK (ONS figures) had no underlying conditions. Meanwhile, Boris and the media have constantly flung this "90% of people in hospital with COVID are unvaccinated" b/s. It was never as high as 90% – 74% at its peak, and it's currently 61% as per the British Medical Journal.

So about 40% of the people still in hospital with COVID are jabbed... and folk would do well to absorb that. People need to get out their head that the vaccine is a magic bullet and will protect them from any risk of getting ill with COVID. Just simply isn't the case. It will help, I don't dispute that (though not as much as natural immunity), but if you're 50+ there's every chance you could fall pretty ill with it regardless.

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

No it isn't. Whether or not someone has the vaccine isn't the only big determining factor to the severity of COVID in individuals, and this is what ppl seem to struggle with the most in understanding why most of us, vaccinated or unvaccinated, will suffer from the virus no more than we would a bad head cold.

Underlying conditions is ofc the most obvious other factor. Past exposure to the virus, or similar viruses is another which is seldom discussed but so vital – in fact, even if you're the type of person who never gets colds then you're more at risk because of how badly your immune system will respond. Genetics is also a huge factor, as is ethnicity. 

So turns out he was jabbed and ppl are shocked that he still died. Why? I don't get that. 

On an aside, thanks to an FOI the other day, we now know that just ~18,000 of the ~171,000 COVID deaths in the UK (ONS figures) had no underlying conditions. Meanwhile, Boris and the media have constantly flung this "90% of people in hospital with COVID are unvaccinated" b/s. It was never as high as 90% – 74% at its peak, and it's currently 61% as per the British Medical Journal.

So about 40% of the people still in hospital with COVID are jabbed... and folk would do well to absorb that. People need to get out their head that the vaccine is a magic bullet and will protect them from any risk of getting ill with COVID. Just simply isn't the case. It will help, I don't dispute that (though not as much as natural immunity), but if you're 50+ there's every chance you could fall pretty ill with it regardless.

90% of the people in ICU have been At certain hospitals. 

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Maybe they are pointing that out because you can't do anything about having underlying conditions, bad genes or advanced age. Moreover, you don't know how your body responses to this particular virus until you get sick. Pushing on the underlying conditions would produce the effect of making people even more relaxed and expose them to the risk of getting sick with all the drawbacks we know...pushing on the vaccines instead can produce some good effects, if you find a pill that gives me the resistance of Kane Tanaka please consider me for investment but until then the only ways I know to effectively reduce your chances of dying are by being cautious and/or get the jabs.

10 minutes ago, Sideik said:

Maybe they are pointing that out because you can't do anything about having underlying conditions, bad genes or advanced age. Moreover, you don't know how your body responses to this particular virus until you get sick. Pushing on the underlying conditions would produce the effect of making people even more relaxed and expose them to the risk of getting sick with all the drawbacks we know...pushing on the vaccines instead can produce some good effects, if you find a pill that gives me the resistance of Kane Tanaka please consider me for investment but until then the only ways I know to effectively reduce your chances of dying are by being cautious and/or get the jabs.

Yes you can. Many underlying conditions e.g. diabetes are manageable depending on how well you look after yourself. Those with less manageable conditions like cancer or those of an extreme age can shield, but that's up to them of course. I personally wouldn't want to do that because what kind of a life would that leave you?

Agree with the last point to a degree, but they're both short-term focussed and that's been the problem during this whole pandemic. Govs haven't told ppl they need to improve their diets and exercise more. The UK Gov did their COVID-related anti-obesity campaign for a while (which included billboards across the country)... that all seems to have gone quiet again now that the PM doesn't seem to be doing his daily runs anymore and has once again ballooned.

20 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Agree with the last point to a degree, but they're both short-term focussed and that's been the problem during this whole pandemic. Govs haven't told ppl they need to improve their diets and exercise more. The UK Gov did their COVID-related anti-obesity campaign for a while (which included billboards across the country)... that all seems to have gone quiet again now that the PM doesn't seem to be doing his daily runs anymore and has once again ballooned.

I guess if we got bombarded with anti-obesity, health-food, do-exercise campaigns while people were dying like flies someone would have found their way to complain anyway. Not that I don't agree with your point of view but short-term solutions are more effective in the short-term period, it doesn't mean that lifestyle and mental health must be neglected. In Italy pandemic generated great awareness of mental health issues and I think considerations about well-being of the individuals will arise as well

Cross-post with Scavenger Hunt

(Wiki) Charanjit Singh dead age 90.

A gold medalist of the 1964 Tokyo games from India in field hockey (team). 

He also won silver in the 1960 Rome games 

DOD seems to be Jan. 27th, 2022. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not an Olympian, but…

William Mordeno, one of the top sprinters of the mid-1960s, died of complications due to COVID-19 at the age of 74 last January 30 in Butuan City. 

Mordeno was buried on January 31 in Surigao City, his daughter Genevieve told Rappler.

Then 19 years old, Mordeno helped the men’s 4x100m relay team of Rogelio Onofre, Remigio Vista, and Arnulfo Valles win the bronze medal in the 1966 Asian Games with a time of 41.3 seconds. 
SC

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

There have been a couple more reported on Facebook by "Old Olympians", but I couldn't get the posts to embed here.  Neither was a Scavvy hit so I didn't pursue it.

I'll add them now.

• Like 1

Oldest Olympians is saddened to learn that American rower Duvall Hecht, born April 23, 1930, died February 10 at the age of 91. Hecht represented his country in the coxed pairs event at the 1952 Helsinki Games, where he was eliminated in the semi-finals repêchage, and the coxless pairs tournament at the 1956 Melbourne Games, where he won the gold medal. He later became well-known as the founder of Books on Tape Inc., and also served as a collegiate rowing coach for many years. Below are some links with more details:

Oldest Olympians is saddened to learn that Polish sport shooter Józef Zapędzki, born March 11, 1929, died February 15 at the age of 92. Zapędzki represented his country at five consecutive editions of the Olympic rapid-fire pistol, 25 metres event, from 1964 through 1980, and won gold in 1968 and 1972. He earned two medals at the 1966 World Championships, and seven at the European Championships between 1962 and 1975, including one title in 1965. By career he served in the military and worked as a sport shooting coach. He was the oldest living person to have competed at the 1980 Moscow Games. Below are some links with more details:

• Like 5

On 05/04/2009 at 07:36, Guest Grave Mistake said:

Just... a few... more...

Ian "Molly" Meldrum - 1946 - music reviewer and television personality. Reputation for having tried every drug under the sun.

Natalie Imburglia - 1975 - another talentless "pop sensation" reputed to have a habit of doing hard drugs.

Edward Clancy - 1923 - Australian Roman Catholic Cardinal.

Edward Cassidy - 1924 - Another Australian Roman Catholic Cardinal. Reputed to have been very ill about six months ago. Current state of health unknown.

Lyall Bevan - late 1920s/early 1930s - Australian baritone opera singer; known to have prostate cancer.

Andrew McDonald - field hockey development coach and well known player in the National Hockey League, Tasmanian Institute of Sport figure - known to have ongoing psychiatric issues.

Colleen McCullough - born 1937 - minor Australian author. Ongoing health issues.

Thomas Kenneally - born 1935 - overrated author and annoying little garden gnome.

Les Murray - born 1938 - nationalistic poet and ranter.

Clive James - born 1939 - conservative cultural commentator.

Peter Renshaw - highly eccentric educationalist from University of Queensland. Peter Renshaw is partially responsible for ruining the State's education system. Very dithery of late.

Ray Misson - incredibly arrogant academic who messed up the teaching of English in Australia. Ray Misson's post-structuralist experiments, adopted in every State, have led to two generations of illiterate schoolchildren entering the workforce.

Raelene Boyle - born 1951 - had breast cancer at one stage. How is her health now?

Ian McNamara - "Macca" on Australia All Over radio show. Must be ancient now... Looks like a shrivelled up goanna on the cover of one of his books I saw in a shop. Is anyone able to find his date of birth?

Gustav Nossal - born 1931 - research biologist.

Marcus Einfeld - born 1938 - Supreme Court Judge who was recently given a two-year jail term for perjury, after lying about a speeding fine (said that his long-dead friend was driving the car.) How long will he last in jail?

Sir Jack Brabham - born 1926 - Formula 1 Champion and racing car designer.

Rod Laver - born 1938 - champion tennis player.

John Landy - born 1930 - greatest athlete in Australia's history (in my humble opinion.)

Richie Benaud - born 1930 - cricket player commentator. Seems to never age. Is he Australia's answer to your Clive Dunn??? :unsure:

From the Hooroo Mate thread above, John Landy, Australian athlete, the second to run a sub-4 minute mile and ran The Miracle Mile against Bannister at the Empire Games, reportedly dead aged 91. Herald Sun is paywalled unfortunately. Olympian in 1952 and 1956, at the latter winning a bronze in the 1500m.

Edit: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/iconic-australian-athlete-john-landy-passes-away-20220225-p59zvb.html

As an aside, many of the other names in the above Aussie list are dead, so who survives?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

From the Hooroo Mate thread above, John Landy, Australian athlete, the second to run a sub-4 minute mile and ran The Miracle Mile against Bannister at the Empire Games, reportedly dead aged 91. Herald Sun is paywalled unfortunately. Olympian in 1952 and 1956, at the latter winning a bronze in the 1500m.

Edit: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/iconic-australian-athlete-john-landy-passes-away-20220225-p59zvb.html

As an aside, many of the other names in the above Aussie list are dead, so who survives?

If I remember correctly, I had Landy in a HPDP team a few years ago; not picked this year, naturally.

• Like 2