Stayin Alive

Summer Olympic Deaths/Dead Medallists

Jim Puleo, who coached swimming at all levels, and all over the world, has died. He was the Panama Olympic swimming coach in 2000. Puleo died on Friday at age 67 after suffering a pulmonary edema, which led to cardiac arrest, following heart surgery on Tuesday, according to a news release.

SC

• Like 1

Olympic hockey champion Sandy Pisani has died. She was 63.

Pisani was a member of the Hockeyroos team that won Australia's first Olympic gold medal in the sport at the 1988 Seoul Games.

She captained the Hockeyroos from 1985-86 and competed at the 1984 Los Angeles Games.

SC

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Olympic hockey champion Sandy Pisani has died. She was 63.

Pisani was a member of the Hockeyroos team that won Australia's first Olympic gold medal in the sport at the 1988 Seoul Games.

She captained the Hockeyroos from 1985-86 and competed at the 1984 Los Angeles Games.

SC

I am presuming this is field hockey and therefore should be in  Summer Games.

Edited by DevonDeathTrip
Agreed, posts moved
  • Like 2

Hmm. I have this for Don McKellow, Team GB cyclist at the 1952 Games time trial: 

DDP pick for The Final Whistle, though I have not been able to source a QO for him, despite him having reportedly died on 4th May.

So a candidate for the List Of The Lost @Death Impends.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Marko Racic dead at 102.

• Like 3

Achmat Hassiem (wiki), a South African Paralympian swimmer who won a bronze medal at the 2012 London Olympics has been in a coma since September last year. Routine operation went wrong and he suffered a cardiac arrest.

https://www.iol.co.za/weekend-argus/news/achmat-sharkboy-hassiem-still-in-a-coma-but-reacts-to-certain-things-54d9c5f1-8ad9-462a-b092-ff6b6247daac

Also known as 'Sharkboy' due to surviving an attack from a great white shark.

The champion of the 1980 Olympics volleyball player Oleg Moliboga died at the age of 70 after a severe and prolonged illness.

After the end of his playing career, Moliboga coached the USSR men's team, the United Team (CIS), and the Russian national team. Under his leadership, CSKA Moscow won the Russian Championship three times and won the Russian Cup once.

https://volley.ru/news/26844/

https://sportrbc.ru/news/62a1bf669a79476d0f5ca219

756547674912445.jpg

• Like 1

Jüri Tarmak, Estonian high jumper who won a gold medal at the 1972 Munich Olympics, dead at 75.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Perhaps said:

Jüri Tarmak, Estonian high jumper who won a gold medal at the 1972 Munich Olympics, dead at 75.

Not picked in Scavenger Hunt

• Like 1

Eeles Landström, Finnish pole vaulter who won the bronze medal in the 1960 Summer Olympics, dead at 90:

https://www.iltalehti.fi/yleisurheilu/a/0ccfeaf0-9f92-4797-9566-9da5fd13dce4

He was later a Member of the Finnish parliament for the Liberal People's Party from 1966 to 1972.

On the left a picture of him in 2020, on the rigth with Jesse Owens in 1956:

3332e21fa0c740479469609afd8deeff.jpg.83b46c95f77ecfaa1f9a35ff8feb6036.jpg

• Like 1

On 14/06/2021 at 01:50, arghton said:

https://www.facebook.com/MainiokotiJusolanlampi/videos/296765841676215

Here's the video I talked about in Scavenger Hunt...

A woman is interviewing 1964 Tokyo 50 Metre Pistol gold medal winner Väinö Markkanen.

Some parts of it translated:

0:18 she asks "Väinö, what was your sport"

No response.

0:26 she again asks "In what sport did you win gold"

Around six seconds later he answers "in pistol shooting" very unclearly.

Very short answers and the whole interview seems to have been forced. He does answer the questions right but doesn't seem to be enjoying it and can only answer short answers, and also says unclearly something when they talk about life that could be translated to "for me it's starting to be over".

At 2:20 she says "Long life. And the secret to living long?" and "Will it be kept a secret"

He answers "Yes"

Edit: Also, it's recorded in a nursing home for old folks who need 24/7 care by what is probably a member of the staff and was posted on that nursing home's facebook page.

1964 Tokyo Summer Olympics 50 metre pistol gold medalist Väinö Markkanen dead at 93 from complications of a heart attack he suffered a week ago:

https://www.is.fi/urheilu/art-2000008927946.html

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, arghton said:

1964 Tokyo Summer Olympics 50 metre pistol gold medalist Väinö Markkanen dead at 93 from complications of a heart attack he suffered a week ago:

https://www.is.fi/urheilu/art-2000008927946.html

Sad news. He actually died back on 10 June.

Siiri Rantanen is now the last survivor of the original Pro Urheilu (Finnish sports award) recipients.

• Like 2

On 28/02/2021 at 13:05, msc said:

Arne Ahman (1925) - triple jump - got a happy birthday from the Olympics lot a few weeks ago so presumably alive!

Arne Ahman dead at 97

Her name came to mind whilst watching the athletics toay. Googled her to find out she died last year. Won Commonwealth Gold in '74.

• Like 1

Cuban legendary runner Alberto Juantorena (wikiin critical condition with bronchial pneumonia and heart failure after a bout with COVID. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, drol said:

Cuban legendary runner Alberto Juantorena (wikiin critical condition with bronchial pneumonia and heart failure after a bout with COVID. 

Sounds like his days of opening his legs and showing his class are behind him.

• Haha 1

I thought i'd heard the name  that was David  Coleman wasn't it?

30 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Sounds like his days of opening his legs and showing his class are behind him.

30 minutes ago, Redrumours said:

I thought i'd heard the name  that was David  Coleman wasn't it?

I think people remember it as Coleman but it was actually Ron Pickering but I’m not certain - it was a long long time ago 

Made me curious so bunged 'opening his legs and showing his class' into google and it's attributed to both commentators by different sources in the first few listed.

The guardian has it as Coleman, but they're always buggering things up, other sources including wiki as Pickering. Odd.

Of course I then got side-tracked re-reading all the other famous ColemanCommentatorballs.

Edit: Ahh, having got to the bottom of the (ages old) Guardian piece, they acknowledge the original error and correct it to Pickering.

Definitely Pickering, and presumably in the '76 Olympics, but as Coleman commentated on both finals, maybe it was a heat or semi. Which might explain why there seems to be no footage of it on the net, as least none that I can find.

File it next to Reginald Molehusband.

I was actually watching at the time but not really paying attention until the memorable words were spoken.   Disbelief rapidly followed by hilarity.  :o:lol:

On 13/08/2022 at 19:08, drol said:

Now Alberto adds dengue on top of that.

• Like 1