themaninblack

Thatcher's First Ministry

8 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Nicholas Edwards, Baron Crickhowell, died on 17 March. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-40582767

In retrospect, more of us should have taken more notice of that "he has advanced cancer but I'm talking him into alternative treatments" blog bit from his daughter.

Carrington is doing a good job of outliving most of the others on the initial list. Doubt he'll live past Heseltine though, he's still looking like he could make a comeback!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Carrington is doing a good job of outliving most of the others on the initial list. Doubt he'll live past Heseltine though, he's still looking like he could make a comeback!

I think Lord Carrington is the oldest tory cabinet minister ever. The only 3 I know of who lived longer are all labour- Ted Short, Hartley Shawcross and Manny Shinwell .Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong! 

I know this is technically about her first cabinet but  I thought since there are so few left now we might include later ones such as John Moore, ex health secretary and transport secretary from 1986-89 who died today aged 81. https://www.parliament.uk/biographies/lords/lord-moore-of-lower-marsh/1022

Judging by tonights BBC2 documentary there's quite a few who won't be around much longer. Norman Tebbit in particular is on his last legs. 

• Like 1

88-year-old Heseltine wheeze/talking a treat on Today on Radio Four this morning as he castigated the talentless inheritors of Thatcher's legacy. 

Lord_Heseltine_2018.jpg

On 30/07/2016 at 04:35, Sean said:

Surviving members of the Cabinets that preceded Thatcher

Thatcher:

Bertram Bowyer(b1927)

Sally Oppenheim(b1928)

Patrick Jenkin(b 1926)

Norman Fowler(b1938)

Nicholas Edwards(b1934)

Teddy Taylor(b 1937)

Michael Jopling(b1930)

Lord Carrington(b 1919)

Tom King(b 1933)

Michael Heseltine(b1933)

Jim Prior(b 1927)

Telegraph Obit for Bertram Bowyer, 2nd Baron Denhamhttps://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2021/12/08/lord-denham-long-serving-effective-chief-whip-lords-margaret/

DDP Pick and also @Bibliogryphon a Scavenger Hunt Pick I believe.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Lord Denham was so dedicated to the Lords that when he retired from it in April, I knew something was up.

He was the longest serving member of the House (71 years) following the death of Peter Carington in 2018. That title now belongs to the much younger Lord Trefgarne (80), who joined in 1962 on his 21st birthday(!)

Denham was also one of the very few people to have served in the Governments of 5 PMs (Douglas-Home, Macmillan, Heath, Thatcher and Major).

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Not a Scavenger Hunt Pick.

Must have been ruled out - sure I saw a mention of him while searching.

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Must have been ruled out - sure I saw a mention of him while searching.

It does ring a bell and there were a couple of names that did not meet the criteria but he didn't seem to be on the entries list which he would have been even if I had disallowed him

49 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

It does ring a bell and there were a couple of names that did not meet the criteria but he didn't seem to be on the entries list which he would have been even if I had disallowed him

Was a pick on the R1 Scavenger Hunt for House of Lords members IIRC.

• Like 1

John Nott looks and sounds pretty well in a interview featured in Ben Fogle’a Falkland’s documentary, He is 90 now. 

On 08/04/2022 at 22:33, The Old Crem said:

John Nott looks and sounds pretty well in a interview featured in Ben Fogle’a Falkland’s documentary, He is 90 now. 

Just caught up with this doc tonight and can confirm John Nott is in incredible shape. Assumed he must be either a) younger than I assumed or b) it was old footage but neither is true. He's 90 years old and all the interviews seem to be new for the documentary. Passes for a man at least 15 years younger and still incredibly sharp. Had some revealing and surprisingly honest comments about the Falklands, such as that he could barely pick them off a map in the early 1980s and that we weren't interested in what was going on in Buenos Aires, just the Soviets in Europe.

• Like 3

Is he not(t) the one who stormed out of an interview with Robin Day was it? "I've had enough of this now" and then ripping his lapel mike off?

Maybe he's politically sharper now than he appeared then? :D :D

• Like 3

Ironic that Robin Day's famous line was about Nott being a "here today and, if I may say so, gone tomorrow politician", and yet Day and most of Nott's contemporaries are long gone, while Nott has nott gone, in fact he is still here.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 16/05/2022 at 22:30, RoverAndOut said:

Just caught up with this doc tonight and can confirm John Nott is in incredible shape. Assumed he must be either a) younger than I assumed or b) it was old footage but neither is true. He's 90 years old and all the interviews seem to be new for the documentary. Passes for a man at least 15 years younger and still incredibly sharp. Had some revealing and surprisingly honest comments about the Falklands, such as that he could barely pick them off a map in the early 1980s and that we weren't interested in what was going on in Buenos Aires, just the Soviets in Europe.

Not seen this doc yet (I just learned about it) but can confirm I saw John Nott being interviewed for another new doc about 6 months or so ago and he could have legit passed for 15 years younger than he was. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, msc said:

Not seen this doc yet (I just learned about it) but can confirm I saw John Nott being interviewed for another new doc about 6 months or so ago and he could have legit passed for 15 years younger than he was. 

Much as I'm pleased you agree with me @msc, given I'm waiting for the death of a single Cabinet Minister to win a second Scavenger Hunt and you tag me in the Thatcher's First Ministry thread, I'm a little put out that's all you had to say! :lol:

• Haha 3

Lord Howell on Sky News. Very lucid but hunched. Still some mileage left.

Edit:Hehe 

• Like 1