Tuber Mirum

British Science Fiction Series

I keep on meaning to watch Blake's 7 (all the episodes are up on youtube) but I've not gotten around to it yet.

Is it really as good as people say?

Depends on what you mean by good? It's pretty dated now (as is any television from the 1970s) both in look and feel (all this dystopian worldview is very much of it's time). However, I've got the first series on DVD and I enjoyed it (I'm only old enough to remember when it had Avon as the leader not Blake and subsequently being confused by the title!) and I hope to get the second series in the not too distant future...

I'll give it a go then.

Also, I think you'll find that the first series is up on youtube.

I started watching it last Sunday and now I'm up to Series 1 Episode 7. I think it's brilliant. I love the downbeat tetchiness and the strong characterisation. I agree that the special-effects are very, very dated but if you can get past that there is a lot there.The politics are quite complicated too.

The only small problem I've got is that I already know what happens at the very end from having seen it on lots of clip shows.But even that is not a problem because the characters are so interesting that you want to see how they get there and what happens along the way. I highly recommend it and I'm usually only a mild sci-fi fan.

• Like 3

I keep on meaning to watch Blake's 7 (all the episodes are up on youtube) but I've not gotten around to it yet.

Depends on what you mean by good? It's pretty dated now (as is any television from the 1970s) both in look and feel (all this dystopian worldview is very much of it's time). However, I've got the first series on DVD and I enjoyed it (I'm only old enough to remember when it had Avon as the leader not Blake and subsequently being confused by the title!) and I hope to get the second series in the not too distant future...

I'll give it a go then.

I started watching it last Sunday and now I'm up to Series 1 Episode 7. I think it's brilliant. I love the downbeat tetchiness and the strong characterisation. I agree that the special-effects are very, very dated but if you can get past that there is a lot there.The politics are quite complicated too.

The only small problem I've got is that I already know what happens at the very end from having seen it on lots of clip shows.But even that is not a problem because the characters are so interesting that you want to see how they get there and what happens along the way. I highly recommend it and I'm usually only a mild sci-fi fan.

Avon's cool, isn't he?

• Like 2

I'll give it a go then.

Avon's cool, isn't he?

Back in the day, one of my login names was Orac. Now he was really cool.

• Like 1

Just thought I'd mention that Richard Briers was one of the stars of the Sylvester McCoy era story Paradise Towers.

Just thought I'd mention that Richard Briers was one of the stars of the Sylvester McCoy era story Paradise Towers.

Can we please forget about that. That was about the Nadir of Doctor Who. (Exempting David Tennant and the TV Movie)

Can we please forget about that. That was about the Nadir of Doctor Who. (Exempting David Tennant and the TV Movie)

By all means. I thought McCoy wasn't bad - a return of the eccentricity missing from Colin Baker's stint. The casting of Bonnie Langford (in anything) though, is unforgivable.

• Like 2

I thought Paradise Towers was a decent, quirky story. Briers was fine enough as the Chief Caretaker but he's a touch OTT as the transformed Kroagnon...

By all means. I thought McCoy wasn't bad - a return of the eccentricity missing from Colin Baker's stint. The casting of Bonnie Langford (in anything) though, is unforgivable.

I had stopped watching Dr Who midway through the time when Colin Baker was the doctor. I attempted to watch one episode when McCoy came in, but just couldn't get into it.

I certainly agree sbout Langford, she should just stick to doing panto.

Guest Guest

Richard Briers is the 3rd guest actor from Doctor Who to die in as many week following Bernard Horsfall and Peter Gilmores passing. .He was of course the chief caretaker on Paradise Towers.I'll be honest it may not have been his best work ever but for us Dr Who fans he will always be fondly rememebred for it. He was also a good friend of Tom Baker who succeeded him on Monarch of the Glen. RIP Richard.

Which was the most recent Dr Who story reviewed on Wife in Space. Hasn't she cursed people like before.

Richard Briers is the 3rd guest actor from Doctor Who to die in as many week following Bernard Horsfall and Peter Gilmores passing. .He was of course the chief caretaker on Paradise Towers.I'll be honest it may not have been his best work ever but for us Dr Who fans he will always be fondly rememebred for it. He was also a good friend of Tom Baker who succeeded him on Monarch of the Glen. RIP Richard.

6 days older than Baker don't you know. It's sad that Briers has passed away but the day Baker goes, you'd have to times that by 1,000,000...

Guest Guest

Looks like it's a bad year for Doctor Who guest actors,because Elspet Gray, who played the part of Chancellor Thalia in Arc of Infinity has died at 83. http://www.itv.com/n...y-dies-aged-83/ Her best known role was probably as Lady Collingford in Catweazle (mum of Cedric, the geeky kid with glasses in series 2)

Looks like it's a bad year for Doctor Who guest actors,because Elspet Gray, who played the part of Chancellor Thalia in Arc of Infinity has died at 83. http://www.itv.com/n...y-dies-aged-83/ Her best known role was probably as Lady Collingford in Catweazle (mum of Cedric, the geeky kid with glasses in series 2)

She was the Queen in the first series of Blackadder.

Very sad news.

Guest Guest

Very sad news.

and as the wife of the psychiatrist in that hilarious episode of Fawlty Towers .Has to be my favourite

Very sad news.

and as the wife of the psychiatrist in that hilarious episode of Fawlty Towers .Has to be my favourite

We should probably show her the appropriate respect and refer to her as Lady Rix. I had put her on my reserve list when researching Sheila Mercier who is her sister-in-law.

She was active in Mencap.

I think it is the case that a very large number of actors appeared in classic Doctor Who and they are all now beginning to reach that age where they will die.

Someone jokingly suggested about The Bill once, that a role came free with every Equity card. I think the equivalent is now Doctors.

6 days older than Baker don't you know. It's sad that Briers has passed away but the day Baker goes, you'd have to times that by 1,000,000...

To suggest that Baker is more loved than Briers would be an intersting claim. I think the people who post here will make a lot more noise when Baker goes but overall more people watched The Good Life and Ever Decreasing Circles than Doctor Who. Nevertheless The Doctor is an iconic role and Tom Baker the most iconic incarnation. Trouble is I don't think Tom Baker is going anywhere soon.

Guest Guest

I agree.Tom Baker has a life force that will keep him going for at least another decade!

To suggest that Baker is more loved than Briers would be an intersting claim. I think the people who post here will make a lot more noise when Baker goes but overall more people watched The Good Life and Ever Decreasing Circles than Doctor Who. Nevertheless The Doctor is an iconic role and Tom Baker the most iconic incarnation. Trouble is I don't think Tom Baker is going anywhere soon.

Mine was a personal opinion rather than assuming what the public might think. That said , when the great man does head back to Gallifrey, we'll know about it. Let's move on...

• Like 1

To suggest that Baker is more loved than Briers would be an intersting claim. I think the people who post here will make a lot more noise when Baker goes but overall more people watched The Good Life and Ever Decreasing Circles than Doctor Who.

Everyone is mentioning the Good Life but the thing I know him from (besides Dr Who) is the Monarch of the Glen. Since that is a more recent show, I am surprised the media (at least over here) aren't mentioning that.

Guest Guest

That really is a sad blow on t his 50th anniversary year of Doctor Who.Shame he couldn't have held out to november .There was always a dispute as to whether Ray or Terry Nation created the daleks (not davros of course) but I've always thought of Ray as being responsible since he designed them.We've lost a legend!

Guest American Sports Fan

To suggest that Baker is more loved than Briers would be an intersting claim. I think the people who post here will make a lot more noise when Baker goes but overall more people watched The Good Life and Ever Decreasing Circles than Doctor Who.

Everyone is mentioning the Good Life but the thing I know him from (besides Dr Who) is the Monarch of the Glen. Since that is a more recent show, I am surprised the media (at least over here) aren't mentioning that.

And I knew about Briers from his voice work on the Watership Down movie, where I thought he did a great job of capturing Fiver's personality. Watership Down fits the broader category of speculative fiction rather than science fiction, of course, but it's interesting that even though it came out in 1978, more recent than a lot of movies and TV shows we discuss here, only four of the fifteen actors who voiced the major characters are still alive as far as I know: John Hurt (Hazel), Richard O'Callaghan (Dandelion), Hannah Gordon (Hyzenthlay), and Clifton Jones (Blackavar).

I can remember a Blue Peter episode where they made a "Dalek" out of egg boxes. It was utterly shite and nothing at all like a Dalek.

I also remember that they got complaints about it on "Junior Points Of View", enough for one of the presenters (Christopher Trace, if memory serves) to be quite defensive about it. "We spoke to the man who invented them, and he said that's how he made them."

Even at my very youthful age, I knew that was bullshit.

• Like 1