Tuber Mirum

British Science Fiction Series

I am a bit puzzled about the supposed decline in viewership. I've never watched it myself. But I've kept reading and hearing a lot about it in the past 10 years or so. I don't recall this being the case before. I think the show is having a growing effect on global nerd/geek culture.

5 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I am a bit puzzled about the supposed decline in viewership. I've never watched it myself. But I've kept reading and hearing a lot about it in the past 10 years or so. I don't recall this being the case before. I think the show is having a growing effect on global nerd/geek culture.

More people watching TV On Demand, less watching "as live". Ratings down across the boards.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Deathray said:

Who the hell is even having that argument. Tennant is the better Doctor, they were genuinely worried the show might die when he left, no-one had that concern with Matt Smith as good as he was.

I would have that argument. I gave up during Tennant era. Matt Smith & Stephen Moffett got the show going back in the right direction.

Just now, Bibliogryphon said:

I would have that argument. I gave up during Tennant era. Matt Smith & Stephen Moffett got the show going back in the right direction.

Was your issue with David Tennant or with the way RTD wrote for him though?

I think it was largely RTD hence my qualification. Though I do tend to find DT a selfish actor (in his performance I do not know what he is like ás a person). Christopher Eccleston was so good that I didn't realise how flimsy the scripts were until second or third viewings.

Sadly the rumours are true- actor Trevor Baxter who has played Prof George Lightfoot since Talons of Weng Chiang and in many Big Finish Jago and Lightfoot series h as died https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/rip-trevor-baxter-from-jago-and-litefoot-and-doctor-who .He will be sadly missed by all Doctor Who fans

5 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I thought the RTD era improved a lot once Catherine Tate became the companion. RTD seemed intent on redressing earlier scripting issues at this point and it really showed.  The writing was much stronger during that final Tennant year, IMHO.

One thing I never understood the whole "Doctor bullying Mickey" subplot in the Rose era. That never led anywhere and grated on my nerves. It just made the Doctor seem petty.

A guy at work, who was a huge Who fan, was glad when RTD went too, due to excessive soap opera elements.

6 hours ago, msc said:

More people watching TV On Demand, less watching "as live". Ratings down across the boards.

Apparently even taking that into account it is down, though, from what I gather.

7 minutes ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

Apparently even taking that into account it is down, though, from what I gather.

Well, you know, WW3, all that. Folk don't get great TV signal in their fallout shelters. :P

As noted somewhere else, David is going to be p*ssed off when he awakes one morning to find Susan, lying in bed next to him, has turned into a bloke overnight!

12 minutes ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

As noted somewhere else, David is going to be p*ssed off when he awakes one morning to find Susan lying in bed next to him has turned into a bloke!

Yes, but, think how delighted Leela is going to be.

• Like 1

RIP Trevor Baxter.

Now onto the real issue of the day. How will the companions be cast for the 13th/14th Doctor (I don't by the argument the War Doctor not identifying as the Doctor meanings he wasn't an incarnation of the Doctor). There's a few main tracks here a male companion? schoolchildren? a male and a female? a lone female? an non-humanoid companion? Where do they go?

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 14:49, Deathray said:

RIP Trevor Baxter.

Now onto the real issue of the day. How will the companions be cast for the 13th/14th Doctor (I don't by the argument the War Doctor not identifying as the Doctor meanings he wasn't an incarnation of the Doctor). There's a few main tracks here a male companion? schoolchildren? a male and a female? a lone female? an non-humanoid companion? Where do they go?

Word is Kriss Marshall is to be the new companion

9 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Word is Kriss Marshall is to be the new companion

That would be a bad word.

• Like 1

Fucking hell.

RIP.

• Like 1

RIP Deborah.  A good companion sometimes underrated by fans. A pity a lot of her episodes are missing but glad that 9 did turn up in 2013 - at least she saw her dad again acting alongside her in The Web Of Fear. Hopefully more of her stories will show up soon..

Also another guest star now gone from Rising Damp...:(

BTW it's been a while since a Doctor Who companion has died hasn't it?  There was that period where Elizabeth Sladen, Nicholas Courtney, Caroline John and Mary Tamm died (2011-2012?) but none since.

4 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Those lungs weren't leathery enough!

RIP :(

Very sad to hear of Deborah Watling's passing. Must watch one of her stories this weekend as a tribute. Maybe the Ice Warriors seeing as Peter Sallis is in it and he died recently as well

Earl Cameron is 100 today. Was out in Coventry yesterday unveiling a plaque to the first black Shakesperian actor. Looked surprisingly well.

• Like 1

On 24/11/2015 at 20:17, msc said:

Victor Pemberton (SE), Christopher Hamilton Bidmead (SE) are both still with us too.

Victor Pemberton, script writer for The Adventures of Black Beauty, Fraggle Rock and Doctor Whohas died aged 85. During his time as a writer for Doctor Who, he wrote the Fury From The Deep serial in 1968, which featured the first appearance of the Sonic Screwdriver.

• Like 1

Found this on social media. 

IMG_0445.JPG

• Like 1

Death Notice for Jennifer Daniel, Welsh actress, who had roles in Adam Adamant Lives! and Doomwatch. http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/217005/landen

Also had roles in Hammer movies The Kiss Of The Vampire and The Reptile, but it's too late for me to search for the B-Movie thread. ;) Was the widow of the actor Dinsdale Landen.

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Daniel

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0199663/

• Like 1

On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 19:27, Joey Russ said:

Found this on social media. 

IMG_0445.JPG

Thank God it's British ! 

• Like 1