Tuber Mirum

British Science Fiction Series

15 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Considering that Jane Baker and David Fisher did not get Mainstream media qualifying obituaries I have compiled a list of all the remaining classic series Doctor Who writers and have assessed their obituary chances. However if it is a quiet week Last Word might need a filler.

Donald Tosh (b.1935) – Hopeful: Last surviving first Doctor writer  BBC brought him back for the 50th, and he was interviewed by the Daily Record year or two back, so hopefully...

Henry Lincoln (b.1930)   Probable because of his links to Dan Brown Da Vinci Code court case QO cert for the Da Vinci stuff

Terrence Dicks (b.1935) If Terrence Dicks does not get a BBC obit within 24 hours of his death being announced on Twitter Tony Hall is going to end up at the rough end of an awful shit storm from DW fans and will end up looking like QEII on 5th September 1996.  The slammiest slam dunk on this entire list.

Trevor Ray (?)                    Doubtful. Wrote Children of the Stones but little available info on wiki or IMDB QO possible due to acting career but not likely

Bob Baker (b.1939)          Likely because of his connection to Aardman Created K-9 and wrote the Wallace and Gromit scripts - slam dunk QO

Chris Boucher (b.1943)   Probable wrote for a number of high profiles shows alongside Doctor Who Script editor for Guardian favourites Blake's 7 and The Bill

Andrew McCulloch (b.1945)         Unlikely

John Flanagan (b.1947)                  Unlikely

Andrew Smith (?)                             Unlikely  Became a top ranking cop iirc, so might get one, though he's ages with YWillz iirc

Stephen Gallagher (b.1954)         Almost certain for his other published works  Slam dunk

Christopher H. Bidmead (b.1941)               Possible  Former columnist for New Scientist and long standing proponent of Linux in the press/computer mags of the 90s - if a tech geek journo doesn't obit him at least, I'd be stunned. Also, SHOW RUNNER.

Christopher Bailey                           Almost zero A long shot, but don't count out some journo filling 400 words about Buddhist parables in Kinda

Eric Saward (b.1944)                       Likely  Slam dunk Guardian obit, alongside CAF piece about him being a cunt, no doubt.

Barbara Clegg                                    Very unlikely Apparently prolific in radio in the 80s?

Paula Moore                                      Very very unlikely  Esp as she doesn't exist.

Philip Martin (b.1938)                    Possible because of Gangsters Slam dunk obit - highly acclaimed writer in Guardian/Telegraph type circles

Pip Baker                                             Very unlikely (cf Jane)

Glen McCoy (b.1954)                      Unlikely

Stephen Wyatt (b.1948)                Unlikely  Still does regular scriptwriting for BBC radio so I'd say a cert.

Malcolm Kohll (b.1953)                  Likely – produced a number of high profile films probably won’t mention Doctor Who though.

Ian Briggs (b.1958)                           Unlikely

Ben Aaronovitch (b.1964)             Certain because of Rivers of London Slam dunk, apparently well regarded as a novelist now.

Graeme Curry                                    Very unlikely

Kevin Clarke                                       Very unlikely

Marc Platt (b.1953)                          Unlikely Might due to the RTD connection but I wouldn't bet on it.

Rona Munro (b.1959)                     Probably because of her James plays and the fact she has also written for nuWho.  Award winning playwright, Guardian Slam dunk QO

My extra comments in bold.

"Fun" vague fact: A long time ago, I contributed to the same book as one of the above. The book is long out of print and thankfully forgotten!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, msc said:

My extra comments in bold.

"Fun" vague fact: A long time ago, I contributed to the same book as one of the above. The book is long out of print and thankfully forgotten!

I debated about whether to put Paula Moore down as Paula Woolsey but I decided to follow the TV writing credit.

30 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I debated about whether to put Paula Moore down as Paula Woolsey but I decided to follow the TV writing credit.

Heh, well, Paula Woolsey is some no name woman who may have had the misfortune of being Eric Saward's girlfriend, allegedly, at some point in the 80s.

Whereas Paula Moore is actually Ian Levine.

And he'll QO for sure. Perhaps sooner than later, given health?

48 minutes ago, msc said:

Heh, well, Paula Woolsey is some no name woman who may have had the misfortune of being Eric Saward's girlfriend, allegedly, at some point in the 80s.

Whereas Paula Moore is actually Ian Levine.

And he'll QO for sure. Perhaps sooner than later, given health?

Yeah apparently he has now totally disavowed Doctor Who. Is he on anyone's lists?

Eric Saward has disavowed Doctor Who? Doesn't surprise me- he always came across a s a miserable bugger who had little good to say about the show !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoffinLodger said:

Eric Saward has disavowed Doctor Who? Doesn't surprise me- he always came across a s a miserable bugger who had little good to say about the show !

I actually meant former superfan and unofficial advisor to JNT Ian Levine.

Noted on Twitter that one of the Sarah Jane Adventures writers Rupert Laight has died but he doesn't even have a Wikipedia page.

On 06/04/2018 at 15:35, Bibliogryphon said:

Yeah apparently he has now totally disavowed Doctor Who. Is he on anyone's lists?

I phoned him in the 80s and he was keen back then to claim he had all manner of missing episodes 'for exchange'. Please add 'fantasist' & 'pathetic timewaster'  to the sobriquet 'superfan'

• Like 1

Mentioned on Twitter this morning that Ace of Wands creator Trevor Preston has died. 

William Perrie Guardian Obituary: https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2018/may/23/william-perrie-obituary

Part of The Myrka in Warriors Of The Deep and The Caretaker in Paradise Towers both for Doctor Who. Also was in one episode of Blake's Seven.

However, for me more fondly remembered as part of Dobbin the Pantomime Horse in Rentaghost.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0674666/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

William Perrie Guardian Obituary: https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2018/may/23/william-perrie-obituary

Part of The Myrka in Warriors Of The Deep and The Caretaker in Paradise Towers both for Doctor Who. Also was in one episode of Blake's Seven.

However, for me more fondly remembered as part of Dobbin the Pantomime Horse in Rentaghost.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0674666/

I thought Richard Briers played the caretaker in Paradise Towers 

1 hour ago, CoffinLodger said:

I thought Richard Briers played the caretaker in Paradise Towers 

Well, the real Caretaker was a creature in the basement, I think he was more likely part of that. Although there were other Caretakers...been ages since I had a watch....

I often wonder "Whatever happened to Damaris Hayman?".

Ah......

• Like 3

tve7692-19710522-98.jpg

daemons2.jpg

About 15 years ago

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

I often wonder "Whatever happened to Damaris Hayman?".

Ah......

In comparison to most folk her age, she must have had a portrait up an attic somewhere. 89 on the 16th June.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, msc said:

tve7692-19710522-98.jpg

daemons2.jpg

About 15 years ago

In comparison to most folk her age, she must have had a portrait up an attic somewhere. 89 on the 16th June.

Either that or she is a witch.

• Haha 2

Helen Griffin, Welsh actress who appeared in the 2006 Who stories Rise of the Cybermen and Age of Steel, has died aged just 59. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-44670588

As I recall she's the dame who gets converted to a Cyberman, but is aware, so The Doctor does her in.

Other roles include Roberta Kite in Coronation Street and Rita The Toll Woman in Gavin and Stacey.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0341211/

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Helen Griffin, Welsh actress who appeared in the 2006 Who stories Rise of the Cybermen and Age of Steel, has died aged just 59. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-44670588

As I recall she's the dame who gets converted to a Cyberman, but is aware, so The Doctor does her in.

Other roles include Roberta Kite in Coronation Street and Rita The Toll Woman in Gavin and Stacey.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0341211/

She's in that scene, but gets electrocuted by a Cyberman.

c89ad3c8b3ff2ed209f8af12ee25c903.jpg

One of those "know the face" actresses who kept showing up in BBC Wales stuff.

• Like 1

Just now, msc said:

She's in that scene, but gets electrocuted by a Cyberman.

c89ad3c8b3ff2ed209f8af12ee25c903.jpg

One of those "know the face" actresses who kept showing up in BBC Wales stuff.

Yeah, I had a look, it's another dame who's converted and Griffin's character bombs her.

There's a lot of samey wamey stuff in New Who, I get confused...

• Like 1

I saw that (deliberately?) leaked scene of Whittaker meeting her new companions on the train with the closed doors. Bit hard to judge from such a short clip, I know, but what did you think of it?

Oh I never watch such stuff.

It comes on the telly and I have a good watch. I can't get into all that discussion group stuff.

I'll see it if and when it's on.

• Like 1

She was the union rep in "Getting On" as well, probably the only truly great BBC sitcom of the past decade.