Tuber Mirum

British Science Fiction Series

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

msc produced a handy list some time ago on this thread.

Yarrow was second after Cameron, then there is a drop to Nicholas Parsons, a relative youngster who won't see his centenary. I mean, won't see it until 2023. ;)

1.       1917 – Earl Cameron

2.       1920 – Arnold Yarrow

3.       1923 –Nicholas Parsons

4.       1924 – William Russell, Donald Pelmear,

5.       1925 – David Graham, Morris Perry, Ysanne Churchman, James Garbutt, Laurie Webb, Glyn Houston

6.       1926 – Andre Maranne,

7.       1927 – Geoffrey Palmer, June Brown, Frank Windsor,

8.       1928 – Mark Eden, Ian Frost, Peter Cellier, Michael Craig, Georgine Anderson

9.       1929 – Colin Jeavons, Steve Machin, Frank Mills, Damaris Hayman, John Woodvine, Clifford Rose, Philip Latham, John Nettleton, Thelma Barlow

10.   1930 – Henry Lincoln, Shirley Cooklin, Richard Martin, Roy Evans. Alan Curtis, David Garfield, Henry Woolf,

11.   1931 –Stanley Price, Godfrey James, Cy Town, Kenneth Cope, John Fraser, June Bland

12.   1932 – Sonny Caldinez, Carmen Munroe, John Gorrie, Jolyon Booth, Edward de Souza, Roy Scammell, Vera Fusek, Gabriel Woolf, Antony Carrick, Barbara Shelley, Vilma Hollingberry

13.   1933 – Bernard Lodge, Michael Allaby, Geoffrey Frederick, Patrick Godfrey, Donald Douglas, Michael McStay, Derek Martin, Rhoda Lewis, Richard Easton, Sheila Hancock

14.   1934 –Mary Peach,  Jeremy Young, Billy Cornelius, Ann Davies, Robert Aldous, Jean Marsh, Kenneth Ives, Arthur Cox, Gilbert Wynne, Vernon Dobtcheff, Christopher Benjamin, Tom Baker, Wendy Williams, Roy Macready, Slyvia Syms

15.   1935 – Tristan de Vere Cole, George Roubicek, Derren Nesbitt, Julian Glover, Michael Imison, Glenn Beck, Terrence Dicks, David Prowse, Derrick Goodwin, Wanda Ventham,  Susan Engel, Michael Jayston, Janet Henfrey, Anne Reid, Mona Hammond, Donald Tosh

16.   1936 –Ralph Watson, Philip Voss, Timothy Combe, Douglas Sheldon, David Savile, Richard Franklin, Tessa Shaw, Tim Barlow, Brian Blessed, Tony Scoggo, Richard Wilson

17.   1937 – Derrick Gilbert, Michael Kilgarriff, Tony Caunter, Eileen Helsby, Michael Ferguson, Clive Scott, Hugh Fletcher, Donald Gee, Tom Georgeson, Brian Grellis, David Bailie, Geoffrey Hinsliff, Davyd Harries, Colette O’Neil, Maurice Roeves, Sheila Reid, Gawn Grainger, William Gaunt, Ian Hogg, Barbara Windsor, David Daker

18.   1938 – Tina Packer, Milton Johns, Brian Hodgson, Warris Hussein, Spencer Chapman, Frances White, John Tillinger, David Weston, Tim Goodman, Christopher Dunham, Richard Kane, Christopher Robbie, Christopher Coll, Leslie Schofield, Trevor Ray, Louis Mahoney, Laurence Harrington, Tim Preece, Julian Fox, Roy Boyd, David McKail, Eleanor Bron, John Savident, Philip Martin, Tony Selby

Incomplete, as some folks ages just aren't available. Martin Cort is alive and at least 85 now.  Ditto John Rolfe. Also at  some point I should look into New Who in case of oldies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So Earl Cameron is the only one then. Hope he lasts a while then ! 

• Like 1

Royce Mills who has provided Dalek voices reported dead on Twitter aged 77. Appeared with Frankie Howerd in Up Pompeii

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Royce Mills who has provided Dalek voices reported dead on Twitter aged 77. Appeared with Frankie Howerd in Up Pompeii

"Oohhh no missus, really, titter ye not!"

"EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"

Damn, I missed that episode.

• Like 3

On 24/05/2019 at 15:11, En Passant said:

"Oohhh no missus, really, titter ye not!"

"EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"

Damn, I missed that episode.

I think that was most of the JNT era.....

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 13:48, Bibliogryphon said:

Royce Mills Stage Obit: https://www.thestage.co.uk/features/obituaries/2019/obituary-royce-mills-master-farceur-and-well-regarded-pantomime-dame/

• Like 1

Just announced Via Lizo Mzimba's twitter that Paul Darrow who played Avon in Blake's 7 has died aged 78-obit to follow.

• Sad 3

5 minutes ago, Deathtreat23 said:

Just announced Via Lizo Mzimba's twitter that Paul Darrow who played Avon in Blake's 7 has died aged 78-obit to follow.

This is very sad. Blake's 7 is such an important part of my childhood (an adulthood to be fair)

RIP Paul.  Your performance as Avon was fantastic and raised the entire show.  I don't care what critics thought of the show - it's a classic in its own right and will live on.  Really sad about this one -season 4 and the finale was one of my first TV memories - I was too young to watch it from the start

I always thought he deserved more success after the show finished as well.

for some reason I half expected he wouldn't have too long after what happened to him.  Also the death of his wife Janet in 2012 (they were married in 1966!) obviously took a toll.

so long Avon - you now meet Blake, Gan, Servalan and that old guy that voiced Orac (Peter Tuddenham?).

• Like 1

Very sad news, Paul was a legend, on and off screen.

• Like 1

Just saw the news, another of those Pointless Celebrities deaths I was expecting this year. Let's not forget his turns in Doctor Who, firstly as a member of UNIT in The Silurians [sic] and as the manipulative Tekker in Timelash. RIP, Paul Darrow, a true British star. https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/1135714/Paul-Darrow-dead-cause-of-death-doctor-who-blakes-7-news-latest

• Like 1

• To me he always was Blakes Seven.R.I.P 

10 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

I'm sure there's a Blakes 7 thread. 

There was,  and a "no-Dr Who TV SF" thread, but both got merged into this one iirc.

There was also an Avon v Blake poll that you locked when Gareth died in 2016.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, msc said:

There was,  and a "no-Dr Who TV SF" thread, but both got merged into this one iirc.

There was also an Avon v Blake poll that you locked when Gareth died in 2016.

I must be getting old. :old:

• Like 1

Very sad to hear this news, I missed the Pointless Celebrities episode he was on, so didn't realise till I read his obit that he'd had his legs amputated.  Blake's 7 was always must watch viewing at Squonk Towers. I might have to dust the DVDs off and re-live a bit of my younger days.  Farewell Avon, and thanks for many happy hours glued to the TV.

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2014 at 06:41, Bibliogryphon said:

It is one worth seeking out Douglas Adams' script is very witty and the whole cast are on top form. They use location filming in Paris gratuitously. The good news for DW book fans is that Gareth Roberts adaptation is released next year following his excellent take on Shada.

Looks like Gareth Roberts has blotted his copybook somewhat: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48526656

6 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Looks like Gareth Roberts has blotted his copybook somewhat: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48526656

I am finding this frustrating. He is one of the better prose writers to have emerged post '89 and his comments on Twitter seemed flippant rather that phobic but I am rather outside the whole argument.

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I am finding this frustrating. He is one of the better prose writers to have emerged post '89 and his comments on Twitter seemed flippant rather that phobic but I am rather outside the whole argument.

He was been warned several times and lost jobs before due to being a complete arse on social media, and promoting petitions designed to shame the BBC into less LGBT friendly coverage is a bit more than flippancy, so am afraid I have no sympathy. If he didn't have famous friends, he'd have had far less opportunities to stop acting the cunt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1