Tuber Mirum

British Science Fiction Series

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Must be a list of the missed for the DDP, seeing as how msc picked Garbutt in 2016.

Yeah, he was on my shortlist ever since but always seemed too damn healthy to make the various teams. Apparently he became frail late last year.

On 10/04/2020 at 13:43, Ulitzer95 said:

Family member reporting him dead on Twitter.

This was also posted by Simon Garbutt on Facebook:

"I'm sorry to announce that James Garbutt, who played Ronson in Genesis of the Daleks, has died aged 94. Ronson, a Kaled scientist, was (following the Whovian timeline's logic) the first living being to be exterminated by a dalek, although they had of course appeared (and exterminated other beings) in earlier stories."

Have only just seen this.Sad news. Genesis was one of my favourite Who stories .On the bright side at least I have an excuse to watch it again (nothing much else to do these days after all !)

• Like 1

According to Twitter Pip Baker has been rushed to hospital with breathing difficulty. Not given a good prognosis

• Shocked 1

On 20/01/2020 at 10:04, YoungWillz said:

Henry Woolf is 90 today!

Tom Baker is 86 today!

Recent picture of Tom Baker btw

EVd69FQWoAAO3_d?format=jpg&name=small

I was tempted to give him his own thread tbh as a future DL cert.

Although a weird thing that just came to my mind. The person who told me Tom was quite frail these days when not performing back in 2017 or then abouts, David Collings, has predeceased him now!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

According to Twitter Pip Baker has been rushed to hospital with breathing difficulty. Not given a good prognosis

Any idea how old he is?

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Any idea how old he is?

Not a scooby. My guess is 90-ish like PJ Hammond as they were retired in the 80s when writing for Who.

Of course, Jane Baker died on 8 September 2014, so we were on ScotlandsPeople I'd look up her death notice, see her maiden name, then look up the Jane (maiden name) and Philip Baker wedding certificate, and see if that gives any information that can send us to the actual one. But this is English records so out of my comfort zone.

15 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Dammit. What a sad loss if he goes.

2 hours ago, msc said:

Not a scooby. My guess is 90-ish like PJ Hammond as they were retired in the 80s when writing for Who.

Of course, Jane Baker died on 8 September 2014, so we were on ScotlandsPeople I'd look up her death notice, see her maiden name, then look up the Jane (maiden name) and Philip Baker wedding certificate, and see if that gives any information that can send us to the actual one. But this is English records so out of my comfort zone.

I spent an unhealthy amount of time looking for them in the GRO and Ancestry earlier. You're quite right, the English records are not as easy to navigate your way through if you're lacking in info on the person you're trying to find from the beginning.

13 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I spent an unhealthy amount of time looking for them in the GRO and Ancestry earlier. You're quite right, the English records are not as easy to navigate your way through if you're lacking in info on the person you're trying to find from the beginning.

Yeah, I mean, I looked for PJ Hammonds DOB (Sapphire and Steel creator) with no luck, and eventually straight up asked him. He wouldn't say, he likes it being a mystery! Talented sneaky sod. He did remember "growing up in the 1930s".

Last year I sent Cat O'Falk after the information with his records know how. Even he came up stuck.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, msc said:

Yeah, I mean, I looked for PJ Hammonds DOB (Sapphire and Steel creator) with no luck, and eventually straight up asked him. He wouldn't say, he likes it being a mystery! Talented sneaky sod. He did remember "growing up in the 1930s".

Last year I sent Cat O'Falk after the information with his records know how. Even he came up stuck.

Never understand it when people don’t want to discuss their age, or worse lie about it. Seems that it was quite the done thing in the entertainment business years ago though.

I did find it quite funny when the press called up Doris Day to tell her she was 96 and not 94 on her birthday and her reaction was “Oh what a surprise. I had no idea.“ Pfft yeah right.

9 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Never understand it when people don’t want to discuss their age, or worse lie about it. Seems that it was quite the done thing in the entertainment business years ago though.

I did find it quite funny when the press called up Doris Day to tell her she was 96 and not 94 on her birthday and her reaction was “Oh what a surprise. I had no idea.“ Pfft yeah right.

I liked AE Hotchner's where he said he was born in 1920 for the longest time because he found it an easier year to remember than 1917.

• Haha 1

Peter Capaldi is 62 today! :birthday:

Kenneth Cope is 89 today! :birthday:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Pip Baker is now being reported dead on Twitter

Confirmation on the Doctor Who website http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2020/04/pip-baker-died-2020.html .What a tragedy.2nd Doctor Who related death from corona. Let's hope it's the last . I hope Tom Baker is safely isolating himself !

15 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Question is will he get a proper obit?

Well he’s top of the page on the Recent Deaths page on Wikipedia and the obit writers definitely use it...

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Well he’s top of the page on the Recent Deaths page on Wikipedia and the obit writers definitely use it...

Turns out he was 91 so not a bad innings I suppose.Never knew his age before.The 6th Doctor Colin Baker has tweeted about it..

• Like 1

90% sure I've found her now. According to the GRO index, Jane Baker was born in 1924 so actually older than Pip and they lived for roughly the same amount of time.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

That is purely down to the advantage of being called Baker

12 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Question is will he get a proper obit?

Should get a BBC one. 

5 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Should get a BBC one. 

Jane didn't and nor did David Fisher

9 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Jane didn't and nor did David Fisher

That's ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, Deathray said:

That's ridiculous.