Tuber Mirum

British Science Fiction Series

On 29/05/2015 at 13:22, Bibliogryphon said:

With the sad death of Tanith Lee I thought about how many writers for Blake's 7 were still alive.

Terry Nation wrote all of the first series himself but during series 2 other writers started contributing.

But it is not all plain sailing.

There are three writers who are definitely still alive

• Chris Boucher
  • James Follett
  • Trevor Hoyle

but I cannot find any information about another three

• Simon Masters
  • Ben Steed
  • Colin Davis

Can anyone help?

Apparently James Follett died 10 January 2021

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Apparently James Follett died 10 January 2021

Death notice on his website here.

• Like 1

On 07/04/2020 at 20:23, msc said:

22.   1943 – Myra Frances

Actress Myra Frances has died after a private battle with cancer aged 77, according to her husband, Peter Egan.

Survivors, Doctor Who, The Sweeney among her credits. (Also allegedly the first lesbian kiss on UK TV.)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Peter Egan on Twitter just announced the death of his wife Myra Frances (Doctor Who/ Survivors

On 06/03/2021 at 20:23, Ulitzer95 said:

Played Cotton in the first three POC films. Not a character immediately recognisable by name (particularly as the character was a mute!) but regularly featured amongst the ship's crew:

CottonAWEProfile.jpg.9e98739ee83c20f755d93e936abf2c9c.jpg

I remember this character well from the movies. I wonder if the parrot is still alive (as the parrot actually talked instead of the man and I'd say had a larger role in those movies. And if it was only one parrot)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Peter Egan on Twitter just announced the death of his wife Myra Frances (Doctor Who/ Survivors

Just saw Peter’s tweet. Very sad indeed.

• Like 1

9.      1930 –  Brian Peck

Brian Peck dead according to one of his friends on Twitter. A UK TV regular in the 70s through 00s, recognisable "oh that guy" face imo.

tve60108-3-330.jpg (320×240) (aveleyman.com)

Rob Cope on Twitter: "Just heard my lovely friend, the actor Brian Peck has passed away at his home in France today, aged 90. Brian had a long and illustrious stage and TV career. I have happy memories of laughing and gossiping with him and his wife Jennifer Wilson in Cannes. RIP dear friend. https://t.co/cJ34BjVJaJ" / Twitter

Not to be confused with the American kids TV paedophile of the same name.

(Ah, links and posts are fecked again - will fix this when the admin wake up and fix it again...)

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 09/07/2020 at 12:39, msc said:

Nice work, Rover. Just to add:

Graham Rigby (born 1927) - Larry from The Dalek Invasion of Earth (1964), believed to be still with us. Well, he was when he was last interviewed for the DVDs.

Graham Rigby death notice: https://funeral-notices.co.uk/notice/rigby/4938868

Probably better known generally for Crossroads and Coronation Street. Has an uncredited role in Billy Liar as the supermarket manager!

On 18/01/2017 at 21:47, msc said:

Well, here's the list I ran up for YW in more detail:

l

Frank Cox (b. 1940) – The Edge of Destruction ep 2, The Sensorites episodes 5 and 6

Frank Cox dead.

This is the most niche rule of 3 in the making ever...

• Like 1

Bafta nominated and New Zealand born cinematographer John McGlashan died back on 1st April: https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19313281.obituary-john-mcglashan-cinematographer-distinguished-career-cinema-tv/

Worked on everything from documentary series to Silent Witness and Monarch Of The Glen. He gets a mention here for two reasons:

1. Was a film cameraman on Face of Evil and the sublime Pyramids of Mars for Who.

2. IMDB don't seem to know he's dead.

Edit: I see he got an Other Lives Guardian Obit a while back. Must have missed that myself.

• Like 2

Ok, given that, here is a list of as many living people who worked or appeared on Dr Who who are 70 in 2020 or older. Credited cast, producers, directors, writers, unless they are notable not the many many uncredited extras as we'd be here all day.

/snip

17.   1938 – Tina Packer, Milton Johns, Brian Hodgson, Warris Hussein, Spencer Chapman, Frances White, John Tillinger, David Weston, Tim Goodman, Christopher Dunham, Richard Kane, Christopher Robbie, Christopher Coll, Leslie Schofield, Louis Mahoney, Laurence Harrington, Tim Preece, Julian Fox, Roy Boyd, David McKail, Eleanor Bron, John Savident, Philip Martin, Tony Selby, Val McCrimmon, John Tordoff, Derek Jacobi, Diana Rigg, Penelope Lee, Col Farrell

Christopher Coll is apparently dead, going by this tweet

Margot Hayhoe on Twitter: "@TobyHadoke I happened to see a death notice in The Guardian for an actor Christopher Coll. I'm sure I worked with him and liked him but I can't remember which show. Don't think it was a Dr.Who but had he been in it?" / Twitter

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, time said:

Somebody has kindly found the link for Christopher Coll's death notice: https://www.myfamilyannouncements.co.uk/wakefieldexpress/view/4805418/christopher-coll

Coronation Street, Z Cars and Grange Hill as well. And as usual, the UK press are obsessing over dead lions and Martin Bashir. (Although, I do think they are getting better recently - deaths aren't coming thick and fast, perhaps...)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Same dame has kindly found the link for Christopher Coll's death notice: https://www.myfamilyannouncements.co.uk/wakefieldexpress/view/4805418/christopher-coll

Coronation Street, Z Cars and Grange Hill as well. And as usual, the UK press are obsessing over dead lions and Martin Bashir. (Although, I do think they are getting better recently - deaths aren't coming thick and fast, perhaps...)

Coll hadn't appeared in anything for over 25 years (ref IMDB), so one can understand lack of coverage from the press, particularly as most of it seems to be staffed by callow youth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Same dame has kindly found the link for Christopher Coll's death notice: https://www.myfamilyannouncements.co.uk/wakefieldexpress/view/4805418/christopher-coll

It would appear that it was David Brunt who found the notice. Didn't remember him from Doctor Who, but I do remember Victor Pendlebury from Corrie.

David Brunt on Twitter: "RIP Christopher Coll Fine performer in Doctor Who (The Seeds of Death and The Mutants), Z Cars (as a semi-regular in the mid-1970s) and - over an extended period - Victor Pendlebury in Corrie, on-off boyfriend of Mavis Riley. https://t.co/h9ivuIBkUa" / Twitter

5 minutes ago, time said:

Coll hadn't appeared in anything for over 25 years (ref IMDB), so one can understand lack of coverage from the press, particularly as most of it seems to be staffed by callow youth.

I remember his turn as Victor Pendlebury in Corrie. I guess if someone alerts the Corrie community, the Daily Express might be all over it.

1 minute ago, time said:

I updated my original post within moments -  but time goes so fast! ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

I remember his turn as Victor Pendlebury in Corrie. I guess if someone alerts the Corrie community, the Daily Express might be all over it.

I updated my original post within moments -  but time goes so fast! ;)

Used to give  Derek  Wilton the run around at Pendlebury  Paper  Products.

• Like 1

Jackie Lane reported dead (as a Dodo)

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Hadoke now blocking who can see his tweets.

He's dead to me now...:mellow:

• Sad 1

FAKE NEWS, apparently.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Just now, msc said:

Tony Selby has died according to actors on twitter.  Ace of Wands, Detectives, etc but also Glitz in 2 Doctor Who stories.

Sad if true, picked him a couple of years ago.

Get Some In was my first proper run in with him, loved him in that and Dr Who. From that, Robert Lindsay and Brian Pettifer are cracking on and without grace, and obviously John D Collins is on my theme team this year.

5 minutes ago, msc said:

Tony Selby has died according to actors on twitter.  Ace of Wands, Detectives, etc but also Glitz in 2 Doctor Who stories.

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Get Some In was my first proper run in with him, loved him in that and Dr Who. From that, Robert Lindsay and Brian Pettifer are cracking on and without grace, and obviously John D Collins is on my theme team this year.

Further coincidence - Selby apparently was in the original production of Saved by Edward Bond - and Mr Bond is on my main team this year!

I've said before, ahead of my time...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Now there's an actor who has been quietly great as small but important characters in shitloads going 40 years now and gets very little attention for it. I remember him well as Rory in Hamish MacBeth and it's always nice to see him show up in things.

• Like 2

Chris Chapman on Twitter: "Tony Selby! Glitz was SUCH a great fun character and we were admiring Selby in The Good Life just the other week. Always great value. RIP" / Twitter

Chris Chapman, who directs the DVD extras and is very in the know, is tweeting about it, so its probably true.

That's one 60s Who star and one 80s Who recurring guest gone in 24 hours. Worrisome rule of three - I hope Louise Jameson's been having her medicals...