Tuber Mirum

British Science Fiction Series

He's not dead, but watching an interview with former Dalek operator Nick Evans, from 2021. (Evans is one of the many 1960s actors whose imdbs are tiny because sod all of the 1950s/60s  British TV shows are on it bar the obvious remembered ones - most of them got wiped and forgotten.) Anyhow, he's a noted gregarious convention regular but while at first glance he looks OK for his age (80s), once he started to speak it was clearly he'd suffered a nasty stroke at some point in the last few years. Struggling to speak, still got bits of the facial paralysis. Still buggering on regardless, but one to watch now.

Worth noting that Selby's death means Ian Ogilvy (wiki, b. 1943) is the only surviving cast member of any degree of note from "Witchfinder General" (1968). 

Nicky Henson died in 2019, as did Godfrey James (which we've just discovered).
Hilary Dwyer and Margaret Nolan died in 2020.

Ogilvy appears to be very active for a 78 year old.

• Like 1

On 28/08/2021 at 13:49, msc said:

Austin and Howard Mutti-Mewse (celeb trackers who wrote a book or two) claim Vera Ann Fusek died 8th August 2021 in Suffolk.

Vera Fusek gets a Telegraph obit.

Quite surprised, but pleasantly so.

• Like 2

Morris Perry reportedly dead, aged 96.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 17/08/2021 at 00:50, msc said:

As that Dr Who list I did 16 months ago has had over 30 deaths since, it is now woefully out of date. Also, a number of other names have been confirmed as alive, which is nice. So, here's an update stretching to 1953 (ie actors/actresses/writers/directors 68 or older in 2021). Some folk are still difficult to track down, but I think we've got nearly every QO cert Dr Who alumni down now, including some who had kept their DOBs secret. Take a bow Jane Sherwin. If the year of birth is a rough estimate (see Peter Fraser, not a stage name but a bloody common one, the c for circa remains!)

Nigel Johns – Young Silurian – is still alive but I can’t track his DOB. Ditto Cynthia Grenville who was “not an old lady” when she appeared in Brain of Morbius and was doing conventions recently. Lloyd McGuire is a stage name by looks of it. Edward Arthur lives in Spain. Geoffrey Bateman was born sometime during the 1940s but so were 20 other Geoffrey Batemans. Crawford Logan still does radio. Rachel Davies (State of Decay) is alive but clearly not the one born 1926 on BMD from Manchester - I think she was born circa 1940 and have plumped for that below for now! Jacqueline King is in her 60s.

15.  1937 – Derrick Gilbert, Michael Kilgarriff, Tony Caunter, Eileen Helsby, Michael Ferguson, Hugh Futcher, Donald Gee, Tom Georgeson, Brian Grellis, Geoffrey Hinsliff, Sheila Reid, Gawn Grainger, William Gaunt, Ian Hogg, Vic Tablian, Martin Cort, Viktors Ritelis, David Arlen, Davyd Harries, Terrence Hardiman, Brian Cullingford, Darrol Blake, Steven Berkoff, Anthony Verner, Brian Wright (c.) , Brian Ellis

Obituary here for Michael Ferguson, who died on 4th October.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Richard Franklin undergoing yet more surgery this week for his ongoing health issues. This is this 4th surgery in 14 months for folk keeping score at home. Hmmm.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 24/10/2021 at 16:46, msc said:

Richard Franklin undergoing yet more surgery this week for his ongoing health issues. This is this 4th surgery in 14 months for folk keeping score at home. Hmmm.

Katy Manning tweeted that she had tea & cake with him yesterday, so presumably pre-surgery. 

On 26/07/2019 at 15:07, YoungWillz said:

Happy 80th birthday to Bob Baker, co-writer of those "favourite" 1970s Who classics. :birthday:

Also wrote for some animated series of films, but really, they're terrible. :P

FDbl-VOWQAUBUY3?format=jpg&name=large

Via his official twitter, Wallace and Gromit writer and K9 creator Bob Baker dead aged 82.

Sad news, one of those underrated kids TV heroes.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, msc said:

Via his official twitter, Wallace and Gromit writer and K9 creator Bob Baker dead aged 82.

This means the Jon Pertwee writers are all gone before the Patrick Troughton writers

There are a handful of Tom Baker writers left IIRC

Chris Boucher

Christopher H Bidmead

Andrew Smith 

Andrew McCulloch

6 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

This means the Jon Pertwee writers are all gone before the Patrick Troughton writers

There are a handful of Tom Baker writers left IIRC

Chris Boucher

Christopher H Bidmead

Andrew Smith 

Andrew McCulloch

It means Henry Lincoln and Chris Boucher are the only two Doctor Who writers alive from before 1980.

(As far as I am aware, John Flannagan, co-writer of Meglos, is still around in his late 70s.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, msc said:

damn we were at one letter of a hit 

• Like 1

On 05/11/2021 at 12:58, msc said:

Just seen this.

When I was 18, I was working on a building site at Wormwood Scrubs prison and I met a bloke working there who pointed out this builder on the site and told me that he was he fella that built K9.

I never knew if that was true, why bullshit about it, but I thought I would give you some utterly pointless information pertaining to Dr Who. :D

• Like 2

Twitter reporting the death of Roy Holder. Krelper in Caves of Androzani and Chas in Ace of Wands. He is only the second cast member of the 1995 BBC adaptation of Pride & Prejudice to die

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Twitter reporting the death of Roy Holder. Krelper in Caves of Androzani and Chas in Ace of Wands. He is only the second cast member of the 1995 BBC adaptation of Pride & Prejudice to die

Really sad - I'm sure his turn in Ace Of Wands was an awakening for a young boy like me. He was a stunning man in his youth.

• Like 1

Professional body reporting the death of Hugh Barker, sound man on Marco Polo and The Macra Terror for Doctor Who: 

• Like 2

Just now, YoungWillz said:

Professional body reporting the death of Hugh Barker, sound man on Marco Polo and The Macra Terror for Doctor Who: 

Hugh Barker's professional profile: https://ips.org.uk/?post_type=fellow&p=5876

LOT of light entertainment shows. BFI profile: https://www2.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/4ce2ba93749fe

• Thanks 1

Richard Franklin survived his latest major surgery but is expected to remain in hospital for the rest of November.  Can I say that I suspect cancer here given the limited news, or has Crem jumped that shark?

10 minutes ago, msc said:

Richard Franklin survived his latest major surgery but is expected to remain in hospital for the rest of November.  Can I say that I suspect cancer here given the limited news, or has Crem jumped that shark?

It does give a whiff of cancer but it might be heart troubles - you can be hospitalised for lengthy periods with those problems.

Heart-in-mouth moment as I saw William Russell trending on Tw*tter; 97 today.:party:

• Like 1

On 03/08/2021 at 18:48, msc said:

Ralph Watson died of cancer on 20th June aged 85 according to his son on Twitter.

Another ""you'd recognise the face" actor - long TV career.

00ralph_watson.jpg

Ahem, yes it's late, but.... List of the Lost

17 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Ahem, yes it's late, but.... List of the Lost

Well he was only an actor. Hardly worth an obit when there's 21 year old no name mums with bra cancer to squeeze misery clicks out of...

• Sad 1

Scottish actor David McKail, for this thread played Sergeant Kyle in The Talons of Weng-Chiang, dead at 83 - Herald Obit: https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19816754.obituary-david-mckail-actor-playwright-proudly-scottish-renaissance-man/

Of course, much more than that, read his IMDB above, but plucking out Take The High Road, Taggart and A Touch of Frost.

http://www.mckail.com/

• Like 3

Toby's In Memoriam for Doctor Who 2021:

• Like 3