Jump to content
Tuber Mirum

British Science Fiction Series

Recommended Posts

Sad news.

 

Broken by Big Finish, so true.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Rumours on twitter that Trevor Baxter has died.

 

Shock from his pleasant afternoon watching Wimbledon being ruined?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

 

As a reality check here I haven't watched DW since I was a kid and often switched off in conversations where my fellow adults rated Tennant against Matt Smith etc. But I may well  give Jodie Whittaker a look in. Actually rated her in a range of stuff Attack the Block/ Broadchurch and Adult Life Skills are totally different roles and she was pretty good in Venus as well. Doubt very much she'll play it as any kind of stereotypical female. They've gone for a really good character actress who's also really funny when she needs to be.

 

Who the hell is even having that argument. Tennant is the better Doctor, they were genuinely worried the show might die when he left, no-one had that concern with Matt Smith as good as he was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Deathray said:

 

Who the hell is even having that argument. Tennant is the better Doctor, they were genuinely worried the show might die when he left, no-one had that concern with Matt Smith as good as he was.

 

 

Some people at work were having that argument - some of those involved were so young Tennant was really before their time. Which - sort of - is the point. There was a link somewhere hereabouts to David Mitchell's podcast with him making the point that every generation rates its own doctor as the best. A point alluded to in this 50th anniversary - pre-Capaldi - trawl of who is really the best (Tom Baker, apparently). I'll bore this forum some other day about the time I nearly knocked him over when I was out running

 

Link: http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2013/11/best-doctor-50th-anniversary-poll-top-5-doctors

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a bit puzzled about the supposed decline in viewership. I've never watched it myself. But I've kept reading and hearing a lot about it in the past 10 years or so. I don't recall this being the case before. I think the show is having a growing effect on global nerd/geek culture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I am a bit puzzled about the supposed decline in viewership. I've never watched it myself. But I've kept reading and hearing a lot about it in the past 10 years or so. I don't recall this being the case before. I think the show is having a growing effect on global nerd/geek culture.

 

More people watching TV On Demand, less watching "as live". Ratings down across the boards.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deathray said:

 

Who the hell is even having that argument. Tennant is the better Doctor, they were genuinely worried the show might die when he left, no-one had that concern with Matt Smith as good as he was.

I would have that argument. I gave up during Tennant era. Matt Smith & Stephen Moffett got the show going back in the right direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bibliogryphon said:

I would have that argument. I gave up during Tennant era. Matt Smith & Stephen Moffett got the show going back in the right direction.

 

Was your issue with David Tennant or with the way RTD wrote for him though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it was largely RTD hence my qualification. Though I do tend to find DT a selfish actor (in his performance I do not know what he is like ás a person). Christopher Eccleston was so good that I didn't realise how flimsy the scripts were until second or third viewings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I would have that argument. I gave up during Tennant era. Matt Smith & Stephen Moffett got the show going back in the right direction.

I thought the RTD era improved a lot once Catherine Tate became the companion. RTD seemed intent on redressing earlier scripting issues at this point and it really showed.  The writing was much stronger during that final Tennant year, IMHO.

 

One thing I never understood the whole "Doctor bullying Mickey" subplot in the Rose era. That never led anywhere and grated on my nerves. It just made the Doctor seem petty.

 

A guy at work, who was a huge Who fan, was glad when RTD went too, due to excessive soap opera elements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, msc said:

 

More people watching TV On Demand, less watching "as live". Ratings down across the boards.

Apparently even taking that into account it is down, though, from what I gather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

Apparently even taking that into account it is down, though, from what I gather.

 

Well, you know, WW3, all that. Folk don't get great TV signal in their fallout shelters. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As noted somewhere else, David is going to be p*ssed off when he awakes one morning to find Susan, lying in bed next to him, has turned into a bloke overnight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

As noted somewhere else, David is going to be p*ssed off when he awakes one morning to find Susan lying in bed next to him has turned into a bloke!

 

Yes, but, think how delighted Leela is going to be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RIP Trevor Baxter.

 

Now onto the real issue of the day. How will the companions be cast for the 13th/14th Doctor (I don't by the argument the War Doctor not identifying as the Doctor meanings he wasn't an incarnation of the Doctor). There's a few main tracks here a male companion? schoolchildren? a male and a female? a lone female? an non-humanoid companion? Where do they go?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 14:49, Deathray said:

RIP Trevor Baxter.

 

Now onto the real issue of the day. How will the companions be cast for the 13th/14th Doctor (I don't by the argument the War Doctor not identifying as the Doctor meanings he wasn't an incarnation of the Doctor). There's a few main tracks here a male companion? schoolchildren? a male and a female? a lone female? an non-humanoid companion? Where do they go?

Word is Kriss Marshall is to be the new companion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Word is Kriss Marshall is to be the new companion

That would be a bad word.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fucking hell.

 

RIP.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RIP Deborah.  A good companion sometimes underrated by fans. A pity a lot of her episodes are missing but glad that 9 did turn up in 2013 - at least she saw her dad again acting alongside her in The Web Of Fear. Hopefully more of her stories will show up soon..

 

Also another guest star now gone from Rising Damp...:(

 

BTW it's been a while since a Doctor Who companion has died hasn't it?  There was that period where Elizabeth Sladen, Nicholas Courtney, Caroline John and Mary Tamm died (2011-2012?) but none since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Those lungs weren't leathery enough!

 

RIP :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very sad to hear of Deborah Watling's passing. Must watch one of her stories this weekend as a tribute. Maybe the Ice Warriors seeing as Peter Sallis is in it and he died recently as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Earl Cameron is 100 today. Was out in Coventry yesterday unveiling a plaque to the first black Shakesperian actor. Looked surprisingly well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×