Guest Advisor

Nazi of SS

Does anyone know whether Eichmann's henchman, the one supposedly living in Syria, is still alive?

Actually, almost no one knows... though personally I'm not sure what to expect... would make for a good poll as to whether he's alive or dead...

• Like 1

Does anyone know whether Eichmann's henchman, the one supposedly living in Syria, is still alive?

Actually, almost no one knows... though personally I'm not sure what to expect... would make for a good poll as to whether he's alive or dead...

It seems most old famous living Nazi's are kept well hidden from the rest of the world

probably sheltered in homes of relatives. B)

It seems most old famous living Nazi's are kept well hidden from the rest of the world

probably sheltered in homes of relatives. ;)

Not in Brinsworth House then?

How many high-ranking Nazi's actually got away?

Mengele did i think....

Well if you believe The Boys from Brazil, he certainly got his in the end.

And yes, I am aware that the movie was fiction. It was nevertheless satisfying.

I think he died of a stroke in the early 80s!

I think he died of a stroke in the early 80s!

If my memory serves me right, I think he had it when he was swimming in 1979, and so the bugger drowned.

Yes he was at the beach i think, 1979 knew it was about that time or 1980ish but it was years before it came out!

How many high-ranking Nazi's actually got away?

Mengele did i think....

I believe so, but died of a heart attack while swimming in Brazil "1979"

Nobody found out about his death untill the mid 1980's.

For a long while Martin Bormann was thought to have esaped. However, I believe that the Russians released information stating they found his body shortly after capturing Berlin.

It wasn't the Russians, his body was dug up near Hitler's Berlin bunker in the 1980's. They were building a car park there. They found glass fragments in his teeth - he poisoned himself in May 1945.

I've said this before somewhere...

Here are two living Nazi officials for the list:

Erich Priebke - organized the largest massacre in Italy.

Paul Schafer - organized a Nazi haven in Chile. According the wiki he is still in Chilean custody.

Both are well past 80.

Here are two living Nazi officials for the list:

Erich Priebke - organized the largest massacre in Italy.

Paul Schafer - organized a Nazi haven in Chile. According the wiki he is still in Chilean custody.

Both are well past 80.

Correct there 5' 0 clock. Erich Priebke is 93 years old and in jail. It seems he gave himself up alot like the Ronnie Biggs story.

Paul Schafer remains behind bars as well.

They might have given themselves up, Priebke seems like he was claiming his innocence pretty hard. But...they're old, they're in jail, and they'll both probably die soon and they'll both get obits because there aren't that many high ranking nazis left.

I think it's time to put that war in the past. Bringing up the war is part of the British disease and Eriksson's call for England fans to shut up about it was spot on.

Might I say that we should never forget the war.

It highlights many important points that we can learn from. Whether it be, don't be too harsh in peace (1919), never vote a madman into power (1933), and never allow a hostile state to become too powerful (1933-9).

I do disagree with the whole Basil Fawlty way of expressing the war.

I do try to make a point (and often fail) that WW2 was against the Nazis and not the Germans. How willingly the German people accepted the Nazis, and therefore helped cause war, is up to the individual to decide.

There's a good book called Hitler's Willing Executioners that discusses that stuff. I agree we shouldn't forget the war. I just think you have to be careful not to encourage the loonies out there who still think Hitler was right. They always come out of the woodwork.

Sadly, Hitler wasn't the only one hell bent on persecuting the Jews. In 1210 King John I of England tried his hand at ethnic cleansing and also the same with Edward I where 300 Jews were executed as they were unable to make contributions to the crusades. So it's something that's been going on for centuries

For a long while Martin Bormann was thought to have esaped. However, I believe that the Russians released information stating they found his body shortly after capturing Berlin.

It wasn't the Russians, his body was dug up near Hitler's Berlin bunker in the 1980's. They were building a car park there. They found glass fragments in his teeth - he poisoned himself in May 1945.

I've said this before somewhere...

May 1946?

I've just been flicking between Cross of Iron and a History programme about the SS on telly so I'm sort of Nazied up to the eyeballs. Does anyone know of any prominent SS survivors who are still alive and worth watching out for?

Edited by Magere Hein

I guess this is the nearest thing to an SS thread. This place seems to know a few, a kind of SS Oxfam. Fetching mugs. They have more merchandise than the DL.

Sorry for the multiple postings but this is a really good site although $50 a year for the magazines is a bit steep. It mentions Erich Gimpel, a german spy, born 1910. He was dropped off by a U-boat in Maine in 1944 to spy on the Manhatten Project. Played chess with Al Capone.

A comprehensive list of U-boat skippers here including one or two survivors.

One of them, Kurt van Meteren, was born in 1908 so he must be 97 or 98. UK or US Obits, of course, are not guaranteed.

PS. Could this thread maybe have a change of heading to reflect general SS/Nazi or U-boat stuff?

Godot here and there you will find an old Nazi stored in corners and hidden from the public eye, but it is better to just think about the ones on this years list. I wouldn't mind John Demjanjuk found dead in his cell one morning. And just to say it, I don't think many other people would mind either.

A comprehensive list of U-boat skippers here including one or two survivors.

When Erich Topp died in 2005, he didn't get so much as a mention in the English press. I was toying around with adding Reinhard Hardegen to my list, but decided against it, as I thought it wasn't likely he'd get an obit.

I took a punt on Wilhelm 'Bob' Roessler in the DDP, the only member of the controversial British Free Corps

(The 'British' unit in the SS) to have fought the Allies in World War II. The broadsheets like a Nazi, they do.

I took a punt on Wilhelm 'Bob' Roessler in the DDP, the only member of the controversial British Free Corps

(The 'British' unit in the SS) to have fought the Allies in World War II. The broadsheets like a Nazi, they do.

He would get an obit in the Telegraph. Fascinating link. I did not know the stuff about John Amery or about his Jewish background. I knew that his brother, Julian Amery had been in the SOE. Julian maintained his sneaky contacts well after the war. What a motley bunch the BFC were, didn't even get in to action after all that pissing about.

• Like 1