Sign in to follow this  
maryportfuncity

Benazir Bhutto

Banned from leaving Pakistan. Might be worth a thread in her honour from now on, her political marriage of convenience with their current head of state has pissed off many of her fellow Pakistanis, the Taliban are revving up for a fight with.....well, anyone who doesn't agree with them and those corruption allegations haven't gone away. All this and her vocal mob of supporters keep rallying round her and winding up her enemies.

How safe is she without the chance to hop off abroad?

Issues an ultimatum and plans to lead a rally/walk onto a suicide bomb in a few days.

It's getting lively out there. Do we - like - have a correspondent in that area?

Conflicting reports, though if the BBC are reporting her dead - and they are notoriously cautious - then it is probably so. Pretty shocking news though it's nothing massively surprising; she really shouldn't have gone back to Pakistan

Ah, declared dead for definite on the World Service. Either from the blast or possibly from gunshot wounds. Died on the operating table.

So, she's the big Christmas time death I suppose. I suspect OoO may have more work cut out for him now than he had hoped...

Sure as hell looks terminal. I posted just before Christmas in response to OoO's speculative 50 picks for next year suggesting she was a liklier assassination hit than their current PM.

I had a hunch from the day she went back about this one, hence starting the thread. I'd gone so far as to back the hunch with her picked on my DDP team. Might consider Pervez himself now, since there'll be a shitload of people out there baying for revenge.

I had a hunch from the day she went back about this one

We discussed her too not a week ago and came to the conclusion that, rather like al-Qaeda hierachy and Middle East politicians, any of them could go and you might as well pick a name at random. But yes, out of Pakistani politicians, she was the most likely target.

I had a hunch from the day she went back about this one

We discussed her too not a week ago and came to the conclusion that, rather like al-Qaeda hierachy and Middle East politicians, any of them could go and you might as well pick a name at random. But yes, out of Pakistani politicians, she was the most likely target.

Indeed VT, and it's gutting so close to the new deadpooling season, a pain lessened by the shorter odds all round on leading Pakistani politicos. Their elections put the lacklustre farce of Strictly Come Dancing to shame, eh?

She is dead

The reason I was so quick with the news was that I was actually doing some last minute fact checking before putting her down as my DDP JOKER! Somebody edited Wiki so fast it was ahead of all the well-known news sources - I thought someone had put her down as dead in error.

DWB :unsure:

Musharraf might be an intelligent pick now as Bhutto supporters are calling for his head outside Rawalpindi hospital. There's sure to be revenge attacks of sorts.

Musharraf might be an intelligent pick now as Butto supporters are calling for his head outside Rawalpindi hospital. There's sure to be revenge attacks of sorts.

Indeed, and also he'll be protected really well for the next few days, but he can't hide away forever. Early January might be the right time to go amongst his people again!

well that's annoying, on Sky news at around 1 p.m. she was apparently fine and had escaped the scene uninjured, leading me to think she really should be number one (with a bullet) for DL 2008. And then she goes and carks it. Gah, can't the loonies at least wait for a new year before they go blowing everyone up?

There once was a leader called Bhutto

Who was friends with Bush, Sarky and Puto

She went out for a rally

Got bombed up her Aunt Sally

And her left tit landed on Pluto

Mrs Bhutto was heard to curse

That the weather just kept getting worse

She found it too windy

Out in Rawalpindi

So decided to return in a hearse

So, she's the big Christmas time death I suppose. I suspect OoO may have more work cut out for him now than he had hoped...

A little bit, but it could've been much worse. Most people have gone for Musharraf than Bhutto or Sharif.

I've been very lucky so far as no-one picked Ike Turner, Russell Coffey, Oscar Peterson et al - and only one person each time picked anybody who has died since the 4th.

Rather than blame the suicide bombers, CR, blame Bhutto for not having the rally on the 1st January. :unsure:

Can't say I'm either surprised or particularly sorry. Never liked her, though, whilst an early death was probably unexpected, I had hoped it would be a more natural demise for herself.

I've been very lucky so far

I bet you're going to be a bit buggered if Sharon or Castro decide to go out before New Year's Day, aren't you? :unsure:

I've been very lucky so far

I bet you're going to be a bit buggered if Sharon or Castro decide to go out before New Year's Day, aren't you? :unsure:

Them, Thatcher, Amy Winehouse & Sir Bobby Robson. If you all kindly leave them all alone for a few days it would be most appreciated. :lol:

Ken Bates, on the other hand, would be perfectly fine by me (purely from wearing a DDP 2008 hat, of course)... :lol:

According to The Times, she wasn't killed by a bullet or by shrapnel. She apparently died after hitting her head on the car roof when she was trying to shelter from the explosion. :unsure:

Brigadier Javed Cheema, a ministry spokesman, said that Ms Bhutto had died from a head wound after smashing against the sunroof’s lever as she tried to shelter inside her car.

“The lever struck near her right ear and fractured her skull,” Brigadier Cheema said. “There was no bullet or metal shrapnel found in the injury."

A little bit, but it could've been much worse. Most people have gone for Musharraf than Bhutto or Sharif.

I've been very lucky so far as no-one picked Ike Turner, Russell Coffey, Oscar Peterson et al - and only one person each time picked anybody who has died since the 4th.

Rather than blame the suicide bombers, CR, blame Bhutto for not having the rally on the 1st January. :unsure:

Can't say I'm either surprised or particularly sorry. Never liked her, though, whilst an early death was probably unexpected, I had hoped it would be a more natural demise for herself.

She was one of the few heads of state you'd do wouldn't yer...in her prime like... :lol:

Rather than blame the suicide bombers, CR, blame Bhutto for not having the rally on the 1st January. :lol:

She was one of the few heads of state you'd do wouldn't yer...in her prime like... :lol:

Are you feeling alright?

Latest on how she died includes the Pakistan government claiming a primary cause of death was a knock to the head as she tried to avoid bullets and shrapnel.

In other words when she was attacked she got so mad she hit the roof :unsure:

Such blather is likely to have an inflammatory impact on her already seething supporters. This ain't over.....probably.

Rather than blame the suicide bombers, CR, blame Bhutto for not having the rally on the 1st January. :lol:

Are you feeling alright?

Benazir_Bhutto_3.jpg

...er...yeah!

She was one of the few heads of state you'd do wouldn't yer...in her prime like... :P

Are you feeling alright?

Benazir_Bhutto_3.jpg

...er...yeah!

That was about 20 years ago, TMIB - the years weren't exactly kind to her.

The Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko, gets my vote. :lol:

She was one of the few heads of state you'd do wouldn't yer...in her prime like... :P

Are you feeling alright?

Benazir_Bhutto_3.jpg

...er...yeah!

The Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko, gets my vote. :P

Well as I said in her prime...well better than Musharraf anyhow! :lol:

As for Tymoshenko...hmmm...a bit hard-faced..

Well overall when I first hear something like this my reaction is usually 'How fortunate am I' that I don't live in a place where I walk outside and see people exploding. Pakistan is in a real deficit and for the first time I've taken rumored assassination attempts more seriously instead of immediately brushing them off.

Anyway Benazir Bhutto was one of the better looking female politicians but if any of you guys have ever heard of the very Democratic 'Dennis Kucinich' you might realize that he isn't ever going to be president of the United States. 'I' realize that even as he probably never will be the president of the United States .... his wife Elizabeth will always be the 'first lady' to me.

The Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko, gets my vote. :unsure:

The years? More like the vast amount of food she ate to become a porker.

Yeah, Tymoshenko is my top political totty, but I think me & CP had this discussion before...