Sign in to follow this  
Coffin Filler

Cheeta(h) the Chimpanzee(s)

I notice that the chimpanzee that played Cheeta in the Tarzan movies of the 1930's & 40's is still alive and swinging. As Chimps live to around their mid 40's in the wild and to their mid 50's in captivity , This makes Cheeta the oldest known Chimp in the world at around 74 ! My question is that as Cheeta is most definitely a celeb and according to Darwin almost one of us. Is he eligible for entry onto the deathlist ?

I notice that the chimpanzee that played Cheeta in the Tarzan movies of the 1930's & 40's is still alive and swinging. As Chimps live to around their mid 40's in the wild and to their mid 50's in captivity , This makes Cheeta the oldest known Chimp in the world at around 74 ! My question is that as Cheeta is most definitely a celeb and according to Darwin almost one of us. Is he eligible for entry onto the deathlist ?

The rules of DL have been modified in it's modern years - No. :)

Cheeta the chimp, co-star of a dozen Tarzan films celebrated his 74th birthday yesterday.

Any chance of an exception being made for Cheeta to be a DeathList candidate?

He's way past the average age of death for a chimp in captivity.

If Red Rum was allowed why not Cheeta, hell he's probably got an IQ greater than certain human beings.

Cheeta the chimp, co-star of a dozen Tarzan films celebrated his 74th birthday yesterday.

If Red Rum was allowed why not Cheeta, hell he's probably got an IQ greater than certain human beings.

He's certainly got a geater IQ than most of the ranters we've got on here. Doesn't he paint too. I'm sure I went to an exhibition which included some of his work

What an odd birthday to make BBC headlines. Maybe he's suspected on being on his way out like Humphrey? Weren't stories about him becoming more prominent less than a year before his death?

He also 'plays' the piano. Top Chimp!

Have a good one, elderly primate!

_41549278_cheeta_camerap_203.jpg

(Cheeta, yesterday. Note the Diet Coke, apparently the old boy is diabetic)

Was Cheeta ever in Daktari? Or was that another chimp? Come to think of it, what happened to Clarence the Cross-Eyed Lion?

CNN has video footage of Cheeta's birthday party, but I don't think I can link directly to it.

CNN has video footage of Cheeta's birthday party, but I don't think I can link directly to it.

I hate that CNN caption " Monkey Business", he's an ape dammit.

Cheeta's homepage, includes some of his art.

Cheeta's last film appearance was in Doctor Doolittle, lucky ape has spent more than half his life in retirement.

I should be so lucky.

Slightly dodgy one, the world oldest chimp Cheeta. Now 74, he appeared in some of the early tarzan films. Is likley to get some sort of media obit on his death as the BBC covered his 74th birthday "celebrations."

Slightly dodgy one, the world oldest chimp Cheeta. Now 74, he appeared in some of the early tarzan films. Is likley to get some sort of media obit on his death as the BBC covered his 74th birthday "celebrations."

Sorry Ize - no chimps allowed. But I was amazed to read that Cheeta is still alive. Looking good for 74 in this birthday photo.

13-16-2330-0437.jpg

I have an idea for deathlist 2007: Cheeta the Chimpanzee! Anybody ever hear of Cheeta? Cheeta starred in the Tarzan films and in a few other tv and movie productions. Currently, he's the worlds oldest chimp at age 74. Would deathlist be open to having a non-human on it's list?

I have an idea for deathlist 2007: Cheeta the Chimpanzee!

See discussion here.

regards,

Hein

I think having a chimp on deathlist would add more variety to the list. I'm all for Cheeta in 2007.

Sounds like one for the HDP.

Let's say if anyone selects him for the HDP, and he dies by hanging, there will be an awful lot of points awarded. Otherwise probably not. :lol:

Cheeta made my rough draft, but after consulting a few friends he was considered not 'human' enough. fair point i suppose.

i do think its quite cool that he was a real famous chimp - then lived to be the worlds oldest (non human) primate. mind you ive always thought there might be older, but no-ones really been counting years on the guys swinging around in trees Colombia.

Cheeta, the world's oldest chimp is still going strong but his would-be successor, Fifi, has died.

Cheeta, the world's oldest primate, deserves a thread of his own, he has been mentioned many times before on DL.

As well as his great age, he has managed to outlive the entire cast of the Tarzan films from the 1930s and is an accomplished artist. There will be a huge amount of press interest when he goes. Mind you, he looks like he might have a few years left in him.

bday093.jpg

Anyone care to explain why he has Wizbit on his head?

It's Spongebob Squarepants. Blimey, don't they teach these young'uns anything in school these days?;-)

His paintings are only $135 and they are sure to go up in value when he dies. I'm going to ask for one of his "apestract" daubings for Christmas.

Cheeta, the world's oldest primate, deserves a thread of his own, he has been mentioned many times before on DL.

As well as his great age, he has managed to outlive the entire cast of the Tarzan films from the 1930s and is an accomplished artist. There will be a huge amount of press interest when he goes. Mind you, he looks like he might have a few years left in him.

bday093.jpg

All Cheeta posts now merged into your thread DDT as requested, unfortunately it puts your starter post on the second page. Try not to find me any more posts!

Cheeta, the world's oldest primate

Primates include humans, Cheeta is on the world's oldest chimpanzee.

Primates on the wikipedia.

Just a thought, like, wouldn't it be a laugh if someone won a monkey for a post on this thread.

It's Spongebob Squarepants. Blimey, don't they teach these young'uns anything in school these days?;-)

I'm alarmed that Wizbit is now appearing in these nostalgia shows and such like - I didn't think my childhood was THAT long ago!

I'm alarmed that Wizbit is now appearing in these nostalgia shows and such like - I didn't think my childhood was THAT long ago!

What's a Wizbit? ;)