Octopus of Odstock

Derby Dead Pool 2008

Glad to hear the DDP will be passed into Triple O's safe hands. I tried for years to convince Rude Kid to tweak some of the rules, especially the definition of famous, but he just got all pi$$y about it. The proposed rule changes sound good - it seems kinda stupid that at present the DL team, with six correct picks (including a lucky 13) trails The Ex Factor, which has a grand total of three correct picks, all executed Iraqis.

For what it's worth, and I don't enter my own team in the DDP, I'd vote for the rules to be no one under the age of 18 on 1 January, no execution victims, and the most stringent definition of famous that we can all agree upon. This is tough because most people's fame varies significantly from country to country. "Reported on the Beeb website" seems fair, but some unknown old British codgers will be covered there.

What do you mean unprofessional? DDP is not a business

OoO when you say you'll get the competition running proper next week, do you mean that's when you'll be accepting entries from or that's when DDP 2008 starts?

DDP is not a business - but as with most things there is a respectable way to manage your efforts. It's not only about banning the 'sixteen year olds' because a couple of them have cancer, it's about banning the sixteen year olds because it's just insanely wrong to have somebody that age on a death list. If somebody (hypothetically) walked up to me on the street and said 'What do you know about 'Derby Dead Pool' I wouldn't mind explaining to that individual what it's about and where the money is - But I wouldn't want to tell that person about how J0$ie Gr0vE is somebody's Joker.

Anyway as far as sending entries go I feel it seriously might be a better idea if you wait until at least two weeks into December. This way it's not likely anybody will have three or four substitutes.

What do you mean unprofessional? DDP is not a business

OoO when you say you'll get the competition running proper next week, do you mean that's when you'll be accepting entries from or that's when DDP 2008 starts?

Accepting entries from.

It's all ready to go, bar a problem with the e-mail. Once I fix that (which, hopefully shouldn't take long), I can change the necessary pages & then send out e-mails to everyone.

Banshees, I know that if I do upload it, it will be earlier than normal, but this year I probably need that so I can keep on top of taking it over & making sure it doesn't lag too far behind in January.

I, personally can't see a lot of difference between 16 & 18 these days, but I'll tell you what I'll do, with both this issue & executions - I'll make two polls on DL.

The thing that is still worrying me with executions is the potential criticism if someone who puts their joker on Al Majid scores higher than someone with genuine picks. I know I'm not going to please everybody but I'd rather avoid as much criticism as I can.

Oh.. another thing - with the family of Steve Fossett now declaring him dead, anybody picking him will be allowed to pick someone else.

So, if you can vote on the polls it'll help me.

Sorry if it seems like I'm dilly-dallying, but I really do want to try & get this as right as possible, not just for 2008, but future years.

CR, it would be great if I could use a more restricted level of fame, but it's almost impossible to enforce properly as there always loopholes and exceptions. I think the current guidelines, whilst not brilliant, do help a little bit.

My thoughts:

1. A minimum age of 18. Anything less is a bit mean.

2. UK obits only. There are plenty enough Yankie dead pools back here on this side of the pond. The UK angle keeps things interesting.

3. No executions with the date set. I didn't ever imagine this would be an issue -- I just thought the list I put together would be a fun twist on the theme teams. Apparently I violated a dead pool honor code and stirred up something of a dust storm. Whatever the decision, I won't be submitting such a list this next time around.

That is all.

My thoughts:

2. UK obits only. There are plenty enough Yankie dead pools back here on this side of the pond. The UK angle keeps things interesting.

3. No executions with the date set. I didn't ever imagine this would be an issue -- I just thought the list I put together would be a fun twist on the theme teams. Apparently I violated a dead pool honor code and stirred up something of a dust storm. Whatever the decision, I won't be submitting such a list this next time around.

That is all.

You should keep the team name though.... ;)

Welcome, Mr Noose!

Well, you should have heard what certain people were calling you round here in January.... I, admittedly, was torn between admiration, anger and envy at your team.

However, as I'm currently beating you in the DDP, that's neither here nor there. You 'played to the whistle' as it were, and good on you for that.

My thoughts:

That is all.

Dear No Noose Is A Good Noose,

I think somebody's whole competitive approach is now Derby Dead Pool history.

I can only predetermine the probable outcome. But Hey! That doesn't mean you still can't ... hang - around

Be good

'

Okey-Doke, the game is now open, entry form is open & entries are now allowed. I've submitted my team today, so I know the process is working fine.

You should be getting (or have got) your e-mails today. If anyone hasn't & their e-mail is working fine, can you let me know, either via this or the DDP e-mail?

Have fun all!

Okey-Doke, the game is now open, entry form is open & entries are now allowed. I've submitted my team today, so I know the process is working fine.

You should be getting (or have got) your e-mails today. If anyone hasn't & their e-mail is working fine, can you let me know, either via this or the DDP e-mail?

Have fun all!

Please sir, can I have one? :lol:

My e-mail is working fine but nowt from DDP.

Hmm.. that's odd - most seemed to have gone through. I'll PM you both.

Am I to presume others have recieved an e-mail or is there a fault somewhere?

The three test mails I sent seemed to have worked successfully, but let me know regardless.

Incidentally, will you be able to show numerically the number hits a team gets during the competition?

cheers

Hmm.. that's odd - most seemed to have gone through. I'll PM you both.

Am I to presume others have recieved an e-mail or is there a fault somewhere?

The three test mails I sent seemed to have worked successfully, but let me know regardless.

I received my invitation, though naturally I shall be waiting until the last minute to submit my team - lateness of the confirmation email be damned! :lol:

Status report: After 24 hours, there have been already 39 teams submitted. :huh::o

Bang goes my social life in January :lol::(

I shall make up for it by enjoying the Christmas run-up & period as much as possible!!

I expect the submissions to calm down a little over the next few days, only to go frantic again from the 20th onwards!

Haven't really had time to sit down & look at names from importing them & check eligibility but with a quick glance there's a lot of new names on there as well as the old favourites....

Working on mine now. 20 names is still tough! :lol:

Working on mine now. 20 names is still tough! :lol:

Pick the squad who'll be flying furthest to get to Euro 08 and list their 20 most famous players. Since they'll doubtless be flying on an East European plane to get there.............well, it solves your trouble with 20 names eh? A decent paper would print the names of all the dead.

Little update - 18 days to go - we are past the 100 mark in terms of teams!

However, most of the "big guns" are keeping their cards very close to their chest - of the current top 50, just 2 have submitted a team - one of them being myself, of course!

There are just over 800 celebrities too at the moment too- although some of them are a very, very loose form of celebrity.

I expect it to get manic pretty shortly....

Little update - 18 days to go - we are past the 100 mark in terms of teams!

However, most of the "big guns" are keeping their cards very close to their chest - of the current top 50, just 2 have submitted a team - one of them being myself, of course!

There are just over 800 celebrities too at the moment too- although some of them are a very, very loose form of celebrity.

I expect it to get manic pretty shortly....

You wont get anything from me until December 31st! :lol:

Aye, I'm looking to file between Christmas and the New Year meself. Got to whittle them forty odd names down to summat manageable.

you can expect my entry on the 31st O of O .....I think I'm going to try for 20 unique :lol:

Probably irrelevant but nevertheless possibly pertinent question. There's a space for a substitute, but what happens if we submit our team and the joker dies before January 1? The substitute comes in, but where does the joker end up? I only ask because I'll probably have to submit my team a few days earlier than the 31st, and it's possible (though not entirely likely) that they could give up the ghost in the last few days of the year.

Probably irrelevant but nevertheless possibly pertinent question. There's a space for a substitute, but what happens if we submit our team and the joker dies before January 1? The substitute comes in, but where does the joker end up? I only ask because I'll probably have to submit my team a few days earlier than the 31st, and it's possible (though not entirely likely) that they could give up the ghost in the last few days of the year.

You would then re-choose your joker.

It happened to me twice last year - I named Wilma Dykeman with Joker, then Saddam Hussein. In the end, Messner got it, bless her.

Ultimately if people die in the last few days of the year, it will be sorted out that no-one misses out, yet no-one gets an advantage by it going into January.

Also, CP (or anyone else), you could name a sub joker when entering your team should you want to.

Cheers

You would then re-choose your joker.

It happened to me twice last year - I named Wilma Dykeman with Joker, then Saddam Hussein. In the end, Messner got it, bless her.

Ultimately if people die in the last few days of the year, it will be sorted out that no-one misses out, yet no-one gets an advantage by it going into January.

Also, CP (or anyone else), you could name a sub joker when entering your team should you want to.

Cheers

Hmmm I was thinking that question myself, but since I plan to post my team on New Year's Eve, I probably wont have to change Christodoulos my joker, early death notwithstanding of course.... ;)

What, you've picked Christodoulus too, I was hoping to extend my joker points with a unique pick bonus where he was concerned!

What, you've picked Christodoulus too, I was hoping to extend my joker points with a unique pick bonus where he was concerned!

C'mon Maryport, the world and his bleeding wife knows about Christodoulos! ;)

I've actually had a re-think about my joker and will take my chance on someone else.... ;)