Octopus of Odstock

Derby Dead Pool 2008

Randy Pausch (Joker; his plight has been discussed in the Telegraph, so I think he'll get an obit)

Selecting Pausch as your joker is a gamble, but the payoff in points would be huge if he does get the required U.K. obit

Edit: It looks like BS selected him as well, so no unique pick

Congratulations, ff. Here's my team:

Baba Amte (Joker)

Archbishop Christodoulos

Eunice Shriver

Muhammad Ali

Charlton Heston

Fidel Castro

Patricia Dunn

Ratu Iloilo

Yves St. Laurent

Sydney Pollack

Ariel Sharon

Betty Ford

Bobby Robson

Mike Soper

Harold Pinter

Mullah Omar

Suharto

Sargent Shriver

Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo

Pervez Musharraf

Good Luck everyone!

Carkers Convention 2008 line up:

1 – Rabbi Philip Berg

2 – Christodoulos

3 – Rt Reverend Ian Cundy

4 – Trudi Endersby – JOKER

5 – Patricia C Dunn

6 – Betty Ford

7 – Billy Graham

8 – Charlton Heston

9 – Dawn Hughes

10 – Rachel Jones

11 – Winnie Langley

12 – Sam Manekshaw

13 – Ian McNicol

14 – Debbie Nelson

15 – Sydney Pollack

16 – Yitzak Shamir

17 – Ariel Sharon

18 – Sargent Shriver

19 – Tomoji Tanabe

20 – Don Wittman

Does this include some ringers from the Maryport Parish Council?

*snip*

9 – Dawn Hughes

*snip*

I'm glad MPFC posted his "guide to MPFC's nobodies" thread in the main Deathlist forum. The only news result I could find for Dawn Hughes was about 3-year-old girl with leukemia and it worried me greatly for a moment...

While we're at it, congrats again to Football Fan (if he did, indeed, win again)!

1 – Rabbi Philip Berg

2 – Christodoulos

5 – Patricia C Dunn

6 – Betty Ford

7 – Billy Graham

8 – Charlton Heston

9 – Dawn Hughes

10 – Rachel Jones

11 – Winnie Langley

12 – Sam Manekshaw

13 – Ian McNicol

14 – Debbie Nelson

15 – Sydney Pollack

16 – Yitzak Shamir

17 – Ariel Sharon

18 – Sargent Shriver

19 – Tomoji Tanabe

20 – Don Wittman

It's Maryport TOWN Council. FFS whad'ya take us for, rural bumpkins or summat?

Since there are others of the same fleeting fame stripe - like Terry Lubbock - already nominated on this year's DDP I'd say we're in for the usual open and intense competition as we strive to emulate the achievements of the admirable FF.

Mind, I got fifth, I think. First time out as well.

1 – Rabbi Philip Berg

2 – Christodoulos

5 – Patricia C Dunn

6 – Betty Ford

7 – Billy Graham

8 – Charlton Heston

9 – Dawn Hughes

10 – Rachel Jones

11 – Winnie Langley

12 – Sam Manekshaw

13 – Ian McNicol

14 – Debbie Nelson

15 – Sydney Pollack

16 – Yitzak Shamir

17 – Ariel Sharon

18 – Sargent Shriver

19 – Tomoji Tanabe

20 – Don Wittman

It's Maryport TOWN Council. FFS whad'ya take us for, rural bumpkins or summat?

Since there are others of the same fleeting fame stripe - like Terry Lubbock - already nominated on this year's DDP I'd say we're in for the usual open and intense competition as we strive to emulate the achievements of the admirable FF.

Mind, I got fifth, I think. First time out as well.

Yeah, I came fifth in 2006 and then look what happened… :banghead:

A Happy New Year to you all and congratulations to Meet Your Maker (AKA Football Fan) for a 2nd successive DDP! You are clearly the one to beat…

It was ‘difficult second album’ syndrome for me in 2007, but I hope to roar back into the top ten with this selection…

Rowan Ayers (Father of Kevin, TV Producer, creator of the Old Grey Whistle Test amongst others)

Archbishop Christodoulos

Janez Drnovsek

Basil D'Oliveira

Farah Fawcett

Estelle Getty

Jesse Helms

Charlton Heston

Sir Lenox Hewitt (Father of Patricia, high ranking Aussie civil servant, former chairman of QANTAS)

Edmund Hillary

Peggy Jay (Mother of Peter, matriarch of Labour Party in London)

Patrick McGoohan

George T. D. Moore

Sir John Mortimer

Sydney Pollack

Baron Francis Pym

Roy Scheider

Jeremy Thorpe

Zdravko Tolimir (Joker)

Gore Vidal

Good luck everyone!

:D

My list= 1st year

teamname: Misers

Christodoulos

Sydney Pollack

Patriarch Pavle of Serbia

George Steinbrenner

Pete Doherty

Bobby Robson

Amy Winehouse

George T.D. Moore

Zeljko Sturanovic

Janez Drnovsek

Ron Springs

Edmund Hillary

Eunice Kennedy Shriver joker

Princess Galyani Vadhana

Candinal Paul Shan Kuo-hsi

Bo Diddly

Yves Saint-Laurent

Maria del Carmen Bousada

Suzanne Pleshette

Doku Umarov

Mr. Miser you have officially received your first hit with the death of Princess Galyani Vadhana. The qualified Guardian Unlimited has reported this which personally 'I can't believe what I'm reading'. I'm not blaming myself for not listing the Princess since mainly her 'curtain call' articles were only reported from Thailand. Her death is no doubt a message to me interpreting 'The Guardian' covers more then what is not expected. Now I'm waiting on Pavle.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/stor...7190723,00.html

Bumholes! I thought he at least would be a unique pick for me.

Curse you and your in-depth research!

Here is my 2008 DDP entry

George T.D. Moore (Australian jockey)

Good luck to all the teams

Regards,

ff :banghead:

Mr. Miser you have officially received your first hit with the death of Princess Galyani Vadhana. The qualified Guardian Unlimited has reported this which personally 'I can't believe what I'm reading'. I'm not blaming myself for not listing the Princess since mainly her 'curtain call' articles were only reported from Thailand. Her death is no doubt a message to me interpreting 'The Guardian' covers more then what is not expected. Now I'm waiting on Pavle.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/stor...7190723,00.html

I knew she was a little iffy, but she is a Princess. Good start though.

Aye, respect Miser. Good call, fortune favours the brave and all that.

Curse you and your in-depth research!

Here is my 2008 DDP entry

George T.D. Moore (Australian jockey)

Good luck to all the teams

Regards,

ff :lol:

If by "in-depth research", you mean "reading the I&P thread (listed once) and the I&P Names thread (listed half a dozen times")." :P

Are you serious? The unconscious George T.D Moore has been on my list ever since DDT talked about him and staying power back in the old Ideas and Possibilities thread. But I'll cut you some slack since Mary thought Christodolous was going to be a unique joker. :lol:

Anyway I'm pretty confident saying that I'll have two or three unique selections that will have an impact - especially if Wujcik and Guiges get the obituary. I'm surprised that the reigning DDP Champion selected Al Hakim as his joker? Pausch has been my Joker for a while. Even as I haven't been getting along with Canadian Paul here I want to congratulate him on arguably having the most intimidating DDP Joker in the year 2008.

Mary thought Christodolous was going to be a unique joker.

Get with the programme BS.

O come on Mary ... 'there was no excuse' take a joke. You obviously had a very misinformed perspective at the time but you've rejuvenated your long shot expectations into a Trudi Endersby which is a very solid pick. After having lung cancer for five years she is a prize 'local' Joker. The only reason she isn't on my list is because she probably only makes headlines at the bottom of BBC articles which I'm not an avid reader.

Here's my team. Apart from Pollock and Robson, they are all candidates who I suggested on DL during the last year, which does rather diminish my chances of getting any unique picks. :lol:

1) Edwin Morgan

2) Phillip Jones Griffith

3) Tony Snow

4) Patriarch Pavle

5) Mikey Dread

6) Sydney Pollack

7) Baba Amte

8) Nigel Plews

9) Shih Ming Teh

10) Norman O'Neill

11) Danny Federici

12) Archbishop Christodoulos - Joker

13) Ronnie Drew

14) George Moore

15) Janez Drnovsek

16) Jack Ramsay

17) Jeff Healey

18) Sir Bobby Robson

19) Rosemary Pitman

20) Right Rev Ian Cundy

Here's my team. Apart from Pollock and Robson, they are all candidates who I suggested on DL during the last year, which does rather diminish my chances of getting any unique picks. :lol:

1) Edwin Morgan

2) Phillip Jones Griffith

3) Tony Snow

4) Patriarch Pavle

5) Mikey Dread

6) Sydney Pollack

7) Baba Amte

8) Nigel Plews

9) Shih Ming Teh

10) Norman O'Neill

11) Danny Federici

12) Archbishop Christodoulos - Joker

13) Ronnie Drew

14) George Moore

15) Janez Drnovsek

16) Jack Ramsay

17) Jeff Healey

18) Sir Bobby Robson

19) Rosemary Pitman

20) Right Rev Ian Cundy

You're too generous DDT, we would accept that you'd keep a least a couple under your hat... :P

Good solid team...

O come on Mary ... 'there was no excuse' take a joke. You obviously had a very misinformed perspective at the time but you've rejuvenated your long shot expectations into a Trudi Endersby which is a very solid pick. After having lung cancer for five years she is a prize 'local' Joker. The only reason she isn't on my list is because she probably only makes headlines at the bottom of BBC articles which I'm not an avid reader.

Christodoulos had been wall to wall hereabouts for weeks before I made that crack and a few others obviously got it at the time. Incidentally, re Trudi, you could always rely on others on this site to post her death. She's not that much of a 'local' joker and she was on Grobler's DDP team last year so she's got form.

She's not that much of a 'local' joker and she was on Grobler's DDP team last year so she's got form.

To define 'local' in the way I'm using it I mean she won't be getting an obituary in the New York Times. Compare her obituary status with New Yorks oldest and terminally ill prisoner Charles E. Friedgood or Canada's Olympic organizer Jack Poole in the opposite sense. Either way it doesn't matter because if she dies you will score just as many points as I will with Pausch who I'm a strong 90% he will receive the obituary somewhere. I'm putting my trust in The Guardian this year and since Princess got it I think Don Wittman will also get it.

One thing that bothers me, and the DDP has come to this, is that the form guide these days amounts to a cancer watch. If it's lung, stomach, pancreas or brain tumours, basically they're in if they have a fighting chance of a news mention.

It's a shame that Benazir Bhutto didn't last since at least she would have added a little variety. I'm not really criticising, just pointing out that the only way of winning the DDP is to keep a sharp eye out for people with advanced cancers. No wonder people think we're sick.

A hell of a lot of intellectual activity is being expended on this stuff, trawling the internet in search of a juicy and hitherto undiscovered tumour, then fighting and bitching over the bragging rights for finding it first. In reality this place is part research centre, part cancer ward and part actuarial service.

In business terms that's a well established core activity with soundly established elements of diversification and innovation.

It'll be worth noting how far the HPDP picks differ from the DDPs since HPDP has the same qualifying criteria fame wise but rewards careful picking.

One thing that bothers me, and the DDP has come to this, is that the form guide these days amounts to a cancer watch. If it's lung, stomach, pancreas or brain tumours, basically they're in if they have a fighting chance of a news mention.

It's a shame that Benazir Bhutto didn't last since at least she would have added a little variety. I'm not really criticising, just pointing out that the only way of winning the DDP is to keep a sharp eye out for people with advanced cancers. No wonder people think we're sick.

A hell of a lot of intellectual activity is being expended on this stuff, trawling the internet in search of a juicy and hitherto undiscovered tumour, then fighting and bitching over the bragging rights for finding it first. In reality this place is part research centre, part cancer ward and part actuarial service.

You seem to be having your annual bout of angst about deadpooling, Godot. Do cheer up. What seems to have suddenly just dawned on you has been obvious to everyone else for a long time - very ill people are good candidates to pick in a list of people who might just die during the next calender year.

Anyway, I hope you've had the courage of your convictions this year and gone for a little "variety" in your final DDP team, so we don't get a repeat of last year's hypocrisy...

Godot, DDP is a game of which it's competition is measured on your approach to it. If you stand a shot at winning you need the quality of candidates that you were just talking about but you also need perspective in order to make the right selections - random - unique or obvious.

People think games like this are sick because they don't get the point of an individual making premonitions 'like gambling' and they don't get how it's a second education. I'm sure a Cuban man in America enters DDP with hatred of Fidel Castro and places him as his Joker hoping his near five decades of power will finally end. I'm sure people put Nazi's and murderer's 'and people you 'just hate' on these lists but the only way I could ever explain my view of a game like this to a person on the street is

'A majority of competitors don't want these people to die - they expect them too'

Anyway, I hope you've had the courage of your convictions this year and gone for a little "variety" in your final DDP team, so we don't get a repeat of last year's hypocrisy...

Nah, hypocrisy's my middle name DDT; my list is like a cancer hot house, crammed full of the little buggers all a poppin' and a sproutin'. But I am quite proud of Maurice Allais who I think may be cancer free and a unique pick.