Anubis the Jackal

Death By Jazz

Following on from the seperate threads for the folkies and bluesists, here's one dedicated to the art of 5 men with beards playing different tunes at the same time.

I'll open (and then improvise around a dorian scale over a Bbmin blues progression) with Cecil Payne , Baritone saxophonist, hitting the last bar.

Ba-dap-da-da-dap

• Like 1

I'll play a different tune by posting one who's still alive. George Shearing, well enough to get a knighthood but dangerously close to 90 and - after a fall in 2004 - he spent a year in a nursing home and still couldn't walk properly when he went home. No beard mind, but he's blind so he's cool!

I see Chris Barber and Kenny Ball are both 78 next year.

There's a strong argument for a Crimes Against Humanity bonus for those two as well. :ph34r:

John Dankworth and his wife are both getting on a bit.

Possibly my least favourite form of music (including country and western), probably because I don't understand it. For this reason I'm going to spend some time studying a jazz mag I happened to find.

Anything Jazz or Blues especially usually don't waste all your time.

Keep these in mind

Oscar Peterson - A Canadian Jazz pianist and composer

Hank Jones - Pianist\band leader\composer

Eugene Wright (The Senator)

Coleridge Goode - Jamaican-born jazz bassist

Sonny Rollins - New York born saxophonist

There's a strong argument for a Crimes Against Humanity bonus for those two as well. :birthday2:

Good shot Spuddy!!!

Hey! Great call banshees! Where did you get that idea from? :birthday2:

Mr Goode plays some Sunday afternoons round the corner from me. May have to do a little investigating.

Coleridge Goode - Jamaican-born jazz bassist

For all the shameless boozing and schmoozing of George Melly and his ilk the disgusting good health enjoyed by 79 year old Horace Silver makes a career in jazz look healthier than marathon running. A salutary warning to those of us seeing the old jazzers as soft targets.

Frank Morgan has honked his last

"a hard-playing protégé of New Jazz's inventor, Charlie Parker. Morgan emulated Parker in more ways than one. In addition to being the exemplar of bebop's purest and most expressively baroque form, he also acquired Parker's infamous drug habit."

Death by Jazz

There's a strong argument for a Crimes Against Humanity bonus for those two as well. :(

Good shot Spuddy!!!

Not to mention Acker Bilk.

As mentioned in the dead thread, Oscar Peterson has died at the age of 82

Octogenerian jazz Flugelhornist, Clark Terry, was wrongly reported to be dead on Wikipedia earlier this evening. He's now officially alive again, but he did retire from public preformances earlier this year for health reasons and is known to have suffered from colon cancer and diabetes, which has caused him to lose his sight.

Denis Irwin, not Manchester United's dependable former full back, but the jazz double bassist, is suffering from spinal cancer.

Teo Macero, aw c'mon, everyone's heard of him, right?

Well, anyway, he's dead.

(raises hand) I have....the unsung genius behind the wilder Miles Davis electric albums.

Teo Macero, aw c'mon, everyone's heard of him, right?

Well, anyway, he's dead.

Humphrey Lyttelton hangs up his horn.

Don't panic, that's not a euphemism. Or even a euphonium.

It is, however, misleading, given the title of this thread.

Humphrey Lyttelton is NOT dead, or even unwell.

Posted something jazz-related in the only jazz thread here, complete with obvious caveat. String me up why dontcha, Mr DL Policeman.

It's a wonder why anyone ever joins this site.

Humphrey Lyttelton hangs up his horn.

Don't panic, that's not a euphemism. Or even a euphonium.

It is, however, misleading, given the title of this thread.

Humphrey Lyttelton is NOT dead, or even unwell.

Posted something jazz-related in the only jazz thread here, complete with obvious caveat. String me up why dontcha, Mr DL Policeman.

It's a wonder why anyone ever joins this site.

Don't mind him. He just rants at anyone and everyone about "not contributing" or "off-topic" posts because he has nothing to contribute of his own and rarely posts on topic himself. Don't believe me? A quick check of his post history, despite how many times I point this out, reveals a continual pattern of off-topic, irrelevant posts, often of him calling everyone else out for the behavior in which he participates almost exclusively on this site.

The best thing to do is click "My controls" then, on the left hand bar, click "Manage ignored users". When the little screen comes up, type in "Star Crossed" in the text box and... voila! You join the ranks of everyone else on this site who no longer has to engage with the rambling delusions of this pathetic attention whore.

You may also find this trick similarly useful if you type in "Banshees Scream" in the text box. Unless of course you're looking for discussions on why everyone who's not a white Christian deserves to be shot, the philosophical musings of a man with the intellect of a roast ham or a how-to guide on how to rape every woman you meet both physically AND mentally.

Typing "Canadian Paul" will get rid of a lot of long, boring, pointless and generally unentertaining rants but, in my defense you'll also be blocking out the most important bits of the "Ideas and Possibilities - The Names" thread. So if you're not into the deadpooling thing, you'd probably be better off putting me on their too.

Oh, and welcome.

You may also find this trick similarly useful if you type in "Banshees Scream" in the text box. Unless of course you're looking for discussions on why everyone who's not a white Christian deserves to be shot, the philosophical musings of a man with the intellect of a roast ham or a how-to guide on how to rape every woman you meet both physically AND mentally.

Before I get started I just want to apologize for having to bring the 'Death By Jazz' thread so off topic.

You see Paul, the crucial mistake you have made is you couldn't resist associating me with you're bullshit introduction on how to solve problems. The second crucial mistake you have made is you decided to make up a story line in you're little Canadian mind about a man who you cannot match verbally, about a man who you cannot match mentally, and about a man who is just all around better at life then you.

The question I ask myself is 'What the f**k were you thinking? Did you actually think for one f****n minute that I would let you get away with the nonsense you are posting? Did you actually think that Paul? Did you think I would allow you to insult my intelligence at such a magnificent level? What were you thinking.

In life, I'm a very generous human being and I give people a lot of chances. It is very seldom that one would find me 'unlike a little deuche bag like you) bringing other people into my own examples and manipulating them for my own self assurance. Sometimes when I read you're posts I acquire the impression that you feel as if 'You hold everybody's perception' and in my eyes you're the guy who doesn't know sh*t 'but who' thinks he knows what the facts are.

You know nothing, you are nothing more then a little bi-polar outcast who tries to survive in a cruel world that holds little mercy. You confront people of a higher capacity, and by some delusion you actually believe you have the ability to silence the people you antagonize. Well, that's where you got it wrong asshole. It's my pleasure to inform you.

Everything you have just said is a lie. I can't even be bothered repeating it because it will only drive me more off the f****n wall - It's not worth it. So the lesson you learn from this tonight is: Keep you're mind focused on little things you know abowt instead of writing you're own story lines and talking about people who-come -from- New York. Sound familiar? Maybe I'll just leave it at that.

Because Paul... For just this once ... In the end it's one mans deception which is another mans example. You have clearly volunteered tonight.

Now I hope the Jazz thread can resume because it's wasn't my motive to drag it so far off topic ... it had to happen.

blather...quack...bilge...

Now I hope the Jazz thread can resume because it's wasn't my motive to drag it so far off topic ... it had to happen.

That's the whole point of jazz, man. Just do what you feel and all join in on the chorus.

Thank-you CP, you learn something new everyday. Is Banshee's spelt with or without an apostrophe? :P

Give TAFKAG a break, the poor lad/ladette is only trying to find his/her feet, which I can identify with. I think these forums (fora?) are quite intimidating at times, there seems to be a unsettling presence from the grammar Gestapo.

What do you say to a jazz musician with a steady job?

"I'll take a Big Mac and fries please"

(Um, the coat's on and the taxi is flagged)

Is Banshee's spelt with or without an apostrophe?

Probably.

there seems to be a unsettling presence from the grammar Gestapo.

You have nothing to fear if you have done nothing wrong. Incorrect use of the word from in your post suggests that you might like to put the kettle on, because you may be having some men in trenchcoats turn up soon. :P

Welcome to DL, DtW.

A close relative of mine had a large and fairly prominent tattoo done which, unbeknown to her, had been embellished by a Grocer's Apostrophe.

This may not be such a problem were she not to be a magazine sub-editor. She covers up well for job interviews.

• Like 1