Anubis the Jackal

Death By Jazz

Denis Irwin, not Manchester United's dependable former full back, but the jazz double bassist, is suffering from spinal cancer.

Denis Irwin is dead.

• Like 1

A young Jazz man, although only a vicariously famous one, has died toady.Jason Rae, 31, was the husband of more famous Connie Rae-Bailey. He was a saxonhonist in The Haggis Horns. Died of a suspected drug overdose

A young Jazz man, although only a vicariously famous one, has died toady.Jason Rae, 31, was the husband of more famous Connie Rae-Bailey. He was a saxonhonist in The Haggis Horns. Died of a suspected drug overdose

Someone else tell him.

Someone else tell him.

1. Already mentioned here.

2. He died two days ago.

Apologies, was news to me on the 24th. Think of it as making the jazz thread more comprehensive.

Guest Guest
Humphrey Lyttelton hangs up his horn.

Don't panic, that's not a euphemism. Or even a euphonium.

It is, however, misleading, given the title of this thread.

Humphrey Lyttelton is NOT dead, or even unwell.

He is now.

Octogenerian jazz flugelhornist, Clark Terry, was wrongly reported to be dead on Wikipedia earlier this evening. He's now officially alive again, but he did retire from public preformances earlier this year for health reasons and is known to have suffered from colon cancer and diabetes, which has caused him to lose his sight.

Clark Terry is seriously ill with heart problems. He's currently "smiling and joking with friends" in the intensive care unit of a Kansas hospital. If he happens to survive until next year, I think he would be a good inclusion for the 2009 DL.

Guest David

I'll play a different tune by posting one who's still alive. George Shearing, well enough to get a knighthood but dangerously close to 90 and - after a fall in 2004 - he spent a year in a nursing home and still couldn't walk properly when he went home. No beard mind, but he's blind so he's cool!

I think Humphrey Lyttleton's also played his last. God's trumpet's playing for him. What on earth is a flugelhorn? I've never heard of one. I can only assume they're German - but I didn't know there was jazz in Germany.

Guest David
Humphrey Lyttelton hangs up his horn.

Don't panic, that's not a euphemism. Or even a euphonium.

It is, however, misleading, given the title of this thread.

Humphrey Lyttelton is NOT dead, or even unwell.

He is now.

That was a very funny quote - the euphemism one.

...or summat.

MPFC, I challenge you to not post "or summat" for the next month. I don't think you can do it. :(

Those words belong on this thread.....I'm improvising, or summat.

Anyway, if I didn't use those words, I'd only say; summat else.

Swedish pianist and founder of the trio that bears his name, Esbjörn Svensson, är död after a scuba diving accident.

Here's a clip of them performing

from the Disney musical Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

Jazz pianist Ronnie Matthews is suffering from pancreatic cancer. He is in the final stages of the disease and the prognosis is "very dire".

I was going to put him on the ideas thread, but seeing as a benefit concert is being held to raise cash for his funeral, I would imagine he'll be gone before too long.

Jazz pianist Ronnie Matthews is suffering from pancreatic cancer. He is in the final stages of the disease and the prognosis is "very dire".

I was going to put him on the ideas thread, but seeing as a benefit concert is being held to raise cash for his funeral, I would imagine he'll be gone before too long.

In too much rush to post a link, but he is dead, just as DDT had forseen.

Saxomophonist Johnny Griffin, who played with such greats as Art Blakey, Thelonious Monk, Lionel Hampton and Piles Husain, shall squawk no more.

Apparently the pinnacle of his career was A Blowing Session with John Coltrane, though whether this has anything to do with music I have no idea.

Balls!

The 'Little Giant' was on my subs bench for DDP08

Saxomophonist Johnny Griffin, who played with such greats as Art Blakey, Thelonious Monk, Lionel Hampton and Piles Husain, shall squawk no more.

Yes, I know this is usually for dead or dying jazz musicians, but I thought you all might be interested anyways: Zeke Zarchy has just turned 93 and has recently done an eight-minute-long video interview.

Jazz great Al Gallodoro, "who was called “the best sax player who ever lived” by bandleader Jimmy Dorsey" has died aged 95.

"Celebrated for his ability to play both jazz and classical music, Gallodoro played with the great big-band leader Paul Whiteman. He was a member of the NBC Symphony, working with such famed conductors as Arturo Toscanini and Leopold Stokowski

... Gallodoro was also one of the oldest professional musicians in the world who was still playing, recording and teaching. He celebrated his 95th birthday with a gig at the Sego Café in Oneonta on June 20 and didn’t play his last gig until September 20, at the Jazz and Harvest Festival in Corning, New York.

... Gallodoro’s brother Frank was also a saxophone player and worked in the Paul Whiteman orchestra with Al. In fact, with Al’s death, Frank is now the only surviving member of that once-famous band."

• Like 1