Anubis the Jackal

Death By Jazz

I think he’ll likely get a Guardian obit. Pretty sure I’m not the only one who had him on their longlist but saw him as doing too well despite stage 4 cancer...

17 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I think he’ll likely get a Guardian obit. Pretty sure I’m not the only one who had him on their longlist but saw him as doing too well despite stage 4 cancer...

I thought he might be a goner earlier this year but he was out playing gigs, so like you I thought death seemed premature.

SC

Will admit that I didn’t expect him to receive one from the BBC. And yet, the Guardian (which I thought of his obit chances as them or bust) still hasn’t given him one as of now...

On 07/07/2018 at 21:26, Death Impends said:

Unlike other remarks, I was on top of this guy’s health and I felt an easy obit, he’s a pretty big name in jazz.....but I simply felt his touring was an indication he would scoot through 2018.  Didn’t think it was his year.

Anyway well done whoever had him.

SC

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Unlike other remarks, I was on top of this guy’s health and I felt an easy obit, he’s a pretty big name in jazz.....but I simply felt his touring was an indication he would scoot through 2018.  Didn’t think it was his year.

Anyway well done whoever had him.

SC

It was A Pelican In The Wilderness who picked him, and the Pelican always got a fascinating lineup...

Tomasz Stanko, a Polish trumpeter, composer & improviser strongly associated with free jazz and the avant-garde, has died.  He was 76.

(Currently only non-English obituaries available.  English obit to be added if/when available.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Tomasz Stanko, a Polish trumpeter, composer & improviser strongly associated with free jazz and the avant-garde, has died.  He was 76.

(Currently only non-English obituaries available.  English obit to be added if/when available.)

You can post a link via Google Translate.

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fniezalezna.pl%2F231923-nie-zyje-wybitny-jazzman-tomasz-stanko-mial-76-lat&edit-text=&act=url

5 minutes ago, Cat O'Falk said:

Yes, I suppose I could but would prefer a proper English one before going the translation route.

2 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-poland-music-stanko/polish-avant-garde-jazz-trumpeter-tomasz-stanko-dies-at-76-idUSKBN1KJ0F7

• Like 1

Stanko even got a Guardian obit with quite a few comments on it:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jul/30/tomasz-stanko-jazz-trumpeter-dies

I think jazz is one of the blind spots of deadpooling, much like classical music. A small but very dedicated fanbase, very likely obits, "culturally significant".

And it's usually easy to spot a jazz musician close to dying, it's when they stop performing.

• Like 1

Tbh, had he not continued to tour until he died, there was a good chance of me putting Henry Butler on my squad. But he seemed too active for me...

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Tbh, had he not continued to tour until he died, there was a good chance of me putting Henry Butler on my squad. But he seemed too active for me...

They usually perform for a living. And only stop when they're really, really weak.

Of course, now that I've said it, I confess that I made the same mistake with Butler. I should have picked him at least somewhere...

Before I even look, I see the Scavenger Hunt II has been updated.  Assuming the Grammy category.   Are you telling me someone chose a 69 year old with no health issues, and they get lucky enough he dies in a house fire?  Someone is going to the right church is all I know. 

4 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Before I even look, I see the Scavenger Hunt II has been updated.  Assuming the Grammy category.   Are you telling me someone chose a 69 year old with no health issues, and they get lucky enough he dies in a house fire?  Someone is going to the right church is all I know. 

You can't knock good old second sight.

Though, this chap wasn't in the Scavenger Hunt - he didn't actually win the Grammy, iirc.

Unconfirmed reports (Twitter chatter) that jazz saxophonist Sonny Fortune has died.

2 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Unconfirmed reports (Twitter chatter) that jazz saxophonist Sonny Fortune has died.

There's this Youtube post, equal to Twitter lol.

Published on Oct 27, 2018

SUBSCRIBE 1.6K
Rest in peace Sonny. We will never forget you.

• Like 1

Roy Hargrove, Grammy-Winning Jazz trumpeter, dies At 49.

• Like 1