Anubis the Jackal

Death By Jazz

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Yeah I was just :scratchhead: as to the Minnesota 'jazz scene'.  All three members of it :)  We probably have a Louisiana Arabic Music HOF lol which would be the same thing.

We have a few people that are part of the "jazz scene" one of the most recent regulars is Davina Sowers of Davina & The Vagabonds "fame" 

I first met Davina about 10 years ago, they had a couple of albums out but were mostly booking in small clubs and bars charging $5 and sharing the bill with a couple of other bands.  Now that they're booking in venues where they're playing for a couple of hours and charging $30 cover fee, they're pricing themselves out of the local market and draw a bigger crowd when they play further afield.

22 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Twitter reporting the death of jazz trombonist Lucien Barbarin.

He'd been on the slide for a while now

Norwegian jazz drummer Jon Christensen has died age 76. He appears on many recordings on the ECM label and was in particular a member of the legendary Keith Jarrett European Quartet of the 1970s which produced five renowned recordings on ECM Records.

Every time I see this thread bumped I think Sonny Rollins has died. That guy is fucking resistant.

• Like 2

Arthur Goldstein, a giant of the central Pennsylvania music community who influenced countless others during his remarkable career spanning six decades, died on Thursday at the age of 75.  Known as a revered jazz pianist and composer, Goldstein also was a faculty member in Penn State's music department, a scholar and a piano teacher.

SC

I acquired 17 jazz CDs yesterday - McCoy Tyner plays on at least six of those - he could be on a few other under a pseudonym. 

Laurie Morgan, who has died aged 93, was an influential member of the coterie of British jazz experimenters of the 1940s and 50s that most famously included the saxophonists Ronnie Scott and John Dankworth. A drummer, bandleader, theatre musician and teacher, Morgan was a smart, creative and idealistic man who contributed significantly to British jazz’s emancipation from dutiful mimicry of its US models.

As a co-founder of the Club Eleven collective that lit the way toward the establishment of Scott’s London club in 1959, he devoted much of his life to finding an authentically homegrown sound, collaborating with British composers such as the pianist Stan Tracey and the saxophonist Bobby Wellins – as well as the British beat poets Michael Horovitz and Pete Brown as part of the 60s poetry-and-jazz movement.
SC

On 18/02/2020 at 11:28, drol said:

Every time I see this thread bumped I think Sonny Rollins has died. That guy is fucking resistant.

Interview with Sonny Rollins from three weeks ago:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/02/24/magazine/sonny-rollins-interview.html

Unofficially retired because of pulmonary fibrosis, talking a bit about death and reincarnation. But might hang on for a little more. 

7 hours ago, TomTomTelekom said:

American jazz legend and multi-instrumentalist Bucky Pizzarelli, known for his work as a guitarist and a banjo player, died at 94 years:

https://syncopatedtimes.com/guitarist-bucky-pizzarelli-has-died-at-94/

He was also a member of Johnny Carsons Tonight Show Band.

Session musician on a number of classics to boot, per this:

Although he mainly plays jazz, Pizzarelli has done all kinds of session work and played on pop, rock and R&B hits such as Ray Charles' "Georgia on My Mind," The Drifters' "This Magic Moment" and "Save the Last Dance for Me," Ben E. King's "Stand by Me," and Dion and The Belmonts' "A Teenager in Love" and "Runaround Sue." Not to mention Brian Hyland's "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini" and the theme song to television's "The Odd Couple."

Well, classics except for the dreadful Bikini song...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TomTomTelekom said:

American jazz legend and multi-instrumentalist Bucky Pizzarelli, known for his work as a guitarist and a banjo player, died at 94 years:

'Twas COVID even for him

18 hours ago, TomTomTelekom said:

There must be 100 news outlets posting this obit in the past hour.  It’s almost as if this one WE posted 17 hours ago was false alarm.  Crazy.  Or was it? Lol *shrugs*

C3A8F8CE-E8E7-47DE-98E6-46451398285D.png

BAB8273C-954C-429B-9789-17A2A1AE9053.png

On 02/04/2020 at 02:38, TomTomTelekom said:

Some tweets that his wife Ruth has apparently died too.

• Like 1