Anubis the Jackal

Death By Jazz

He's actually a huuuuge name in jazz circles. That's a very significant death. Not as big as Christopher Lee's, but bigger than Ron Moody's.

• Like 1

He's actually a huuuuge name in jazz circles. That's a very significant death. Not as big as Christopher Lee's, but bigger than Ron Moody's.

Indeed a huge name (I'm a musicals fan so I'll disagree on Moody ha ha). Apparently he had just filed a lawsuit against his former colleagues for releasing New Vocabulary without his permission. Maybe the shock and strain of the last year in preparation for this step was too much, I dunno. http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6582967/ornette-coleman-lawsuit-antibalas-jordan

Oh no...

To me, Coleman's as big a loss as Christopher Lee. The Shape Of Jazz To Come is a truly seminal album, one of the great masterpieces of the free jazz movement. A true genius. What a day this is turning out to be.

ETA: The Shape Of Jazz To Come full album here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbt9DDolcag

Indeed a huge name (I'm a musicals fan so I'll disagree on Moody ha ha). Apparently he had just filed a lawsuit against his former colleagues for releasing New Vocabulary without his permission. Maybe the shock and strain of the last year in preparation for this step was too much, I dunno. http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6582967/ornette-coleman-lawsuit-antibalas-jordan

Indeed, very unexpected. I had him on my deathrace team, mainly because in contrast to many other blues/jazz legends, he quit touring and stopped recording. He was one of the last people from the golden age of jazz. Miles Davis or John Coltrane died rather early deaths, so he was a bit overdue... Yet, the lawsuit indicated otherwise, but then Christopher Lee signed on to a new movie last month. These are the statistical deaths you cannot predict in particular, only in the aggregate.

Indeed, very unexpected. I had him on my deathrace team, mainly because in contrast to many other blues/jazz legends, he quit touring and stopped recording. He was one of the last people from the golden age of jazz. Miles Davis or John Coltrane died rather early deaths, so he was a bit overdue... Yet, the lawsuit indicated otherwise, but then Christopher Lee signed on to a new movie last month. These are the statistical deaths you cannot predict in particular, only in the aggregate.

Wow a day full of big names and now Coleman has left us?! Holy moly. Yes he's about as big a name as was in living jazz artists. Sad day today.

SC

Yeah, Lee, Moody and Coleman must be the first time in ages we've had three deaths that could all feasibly make a News at 10 broadcast, surely?

Wow a day full of big names and now Coleman has left us?! Holy moly. Yes he's about as big a name as was in living jazz artists. Sad day today.

SC

indeed a lot of deaths happening today

I am not convinced about Coleman being bigger than Moody. He was one of the 420 names on my work game where 52 players each get 50 picks. (Nobody picked him, 8 people picked Ron Moody and 15 people picked Christopher Lee. I had thought for a long time that Ornette was a woman.

I am not convinced about Coleman being bigger than Moody. He was one of the 420 names on my work game where 52 players each get 50 picks. (Nobody picked him, 8 people picked Ron Moody and 15 people picked Christopher Lee. I had thought for a long time that Ornette was a woman.

Depends where you're coming from really. Coleman was a big, big name in jazz- perhaps the last of the greats (I don't count Herbie Hancock because of the 1980s). Moody was just as important in his own field, but the two aren't really comparable because they come from different worlds. Both made significant contributions. To me as a part-time jazz listener, Coleman's death means more. To a lover of musical theatre (not a euphemism) Moody's death might've had a more profound impact.

• Like 2

Depends where you're coming from really. Coleman was a big, big name in jazz- perhaps the last of the greats (I don't count Herbie Hancock because of the 1980s). Moody was just as important in his own field, but the two aren't really comparable because they come from different worlds. Both made significant contributions. To me as a part-time jazz listener, Coleman's death means more. To a lover of musical theatre (not a euphemism) Moody's death might've had a more profound impact.

Indeed. I like to listen to jazz occasionally and yes, apart from Hancock, Coleman might have been the biggest name in Jazz still alive (and not owing his standing to Miles Davis). However, though I don't like musicals, I knew Oliver! - but I didn't know Mr. Moody. The British factor might also play a role. Coleman's death got big headlines in Germany yesterday, Moody got small ones.

Indeed. I like to listen to jazz occasionally and yes, apart from Hancock, Coleman might have been the biggest name in Jazz still alive (and not owing his standing to Miles Davis). However, though I don't like musicals, I knew Oliver! - but I didn't know Mr. Moody. The British factor might also play a role. Coleman's death got big headlines in Germany yesterday, Moody got small ones.

I picked up Ron Moody's death from twitter and for about 20 minutes the only website where it was being reported was the Jewish Chronicle.....

Just sayin...

I'm guessing Coleman was a household name in the Moody household, but not vice versa. Kidding (?) aside, Moody I'm certain was a big loss to most of you, this being a primarily British site. But I'm here to tell you on a worldwide level this isn't a particularly close comparison.

SC

I'm guessing Coleman was a household name in the Moody household, but not vice versa. Kidding (?) aside, Moody I'm certain was a big loss to most of you, this being a primarily British site. But I'm here to tell you on a worldwide level this isn't a particularly close comparison.

SC

Ron Moody won a Tony award for his portrayal of Fagin on Broadway. He also turned down the role of Doctor Who before it was offered to Jon Pertwee.

The last original member of popular jazz combo The Gerry Mulligan Quartet, Bob Whitlock, 84, stroke. http://www.jazzwax.com/2015/07/bob-whitlock-1931-2015.html

Bernie's Tune: https://youtu.be/GXtMQQMCLOA

Great catch, great post. Appreciated Y-Dub. Mulligan was a big name in jazz back in the day.

SC

• Like 1