Godot

Ask A Deathlister

I've started this thread (and please merge if there is already one like it) because I know that fellow Deathlisters are well equipped to answer all kinds of off beat questions.

So here's one:

I was reading the Metro on the train the other day and found an item about an NHS opinion poll over plans to create lifelike anatomical images online to illustrate medical conditions. There were two options - one with reproductive organs illustrated and one with doll-like images that showed nothing at all where our organs should be. I have been looking for some on-line reference but can't find one and haven't turned-up the story in any other newspaper. Has anyone else seen this? If so, could you point to an on-line source. I'm never sure about whether to treat a Metro story as a reliable source.

• Like 1

I've started this thread (and please merge if there is already one like it) because I know that fellow Deathlisters are well equipped to answer all kinds of off beat questions.

So here's one:

I was reading the Metro on the train the other day and found an item about an NHS opinion poll over plans to create lifelike anatomical images online to illustrate medical conditions. There were two options - one with reproductive organs illustrated and one with doll-like images that showed nothing at all where our organs should be. I have been looking for some on-line reference but can't find one and haven't turned-up the story in any other newspaper. Has anyone else seen this? If so, could you point to an on-line source. I'm never sure about whether to treat a Metro story as a reliable source.

Glad to be of service.

• Like 1

So here's one:

Glad to be of service.

All a bit of a cock and bull story if you ask me... :lol:

• Like 1

One for the physicists here.

When you pass bottom-gas, does it make you lighter or heavier? (weight as opposed to mass)

• Like 1

Lighter, I'm guessing your query is down to the fact that the lighter than air properties of methane might give a spurious reading of a person being lighter whilst packing a massive fart. I'm also guessing the query is based on humans, most animals of significant size fart, the process is - more or less - the same in most cases but the proportional mixture of fart gases varies depending on the animals involved.

In reality the main fart gas is Nitrogen and farts also contain CO2, their combustion is a bit misleading, it's the methane and the small amount of hydrogen that burns, the rest of the fart doesn't catch fire and since the rest of the fart is the main part of it, it does have some significance weight wise.

• Like 1

I had to read that fart explanation a couple of times. Amazing. Instinctively I would have imagined that you would be lighter with the fart inside. (Philosophical question: is it a fart before it has actually been farted, and if not what?)

Thanks to Bald rick, a big help.

• Like 1

When you pass bottom-gas, does it make you lighter or heavier? (weight as opposed to mass)

I think you mean mass if you talk in terms of lighter and heavier, as weight is actually the force due to gravity on that object. It is mass that is measured in kilograms etc., weight should technically be measured in Newtons say. I might not be able to contibute to the grammatical pedantics on this site but I make up for it on the science front :lol: So, after you have trumped, the force due to gravity on you decreases.

• Like 1

Judging by what I've passed this morning, I sure hope it's lighter.

• Like 1

A question: Is there some reliable software, legal or otherwise, that will allow me to turn ANY radio programme accessed online into an MP3 file?

I'm asking because I love 6 Music's Freakzone and for ages taped it and listened to it as a scuttled around the roads with my work. However, since May the Maryfleet of high performance vehicles does not include one with a tape deck and I'm getting hacked off using listen again.

• Like 1

A question: Is there some reliable software, legal or otherwise, that will allow me to turn ANY radio programme accessed online into an MP3 file?

Depends what O/S you're packin'. Probably Toast for Mac OS.

I'm not packin' a Mac. Should make it easier, eh?

Toast wouldn't do the trick, although you could use it of course to burn to disc any MP3 track that you'd created. For Mac your best bet would be Audio Hijack.

But as you're interested in Windows, try mymp3 mymp3 recorder. It's free and records whatever it is that your PC is putting through its sound card: whether internet radio, iTunes, external microphone etc.

Toast wouldn't do the trick

I don't do tricks, it's demeaning.

Toast wouldn't do the trick, although you could use it of course to burn to disc any MP3 track that you'd created. For Mac your best bet would be Audio Hijack.

But as you're interested in Windows, try mymp3 mymp3 recorder. It's free and records whatever it is that your PC is putting through its sound card: whether internet radio, iTunes, external microphone etc.

Oops, I got the website wrong. mp3mymp3.com although it's a rubbish name whatever.

Lighter, I'm guessing your query is down to the fact that the lighter than air properties of methane might give a spurious reading of a person being lighter whilst packing a massive fart. I'm also guessing the query is based on humans, most animals of significant size fart, the process is - more or less - the same in most cases but the proportional mixture of fart gases varies depending on the animals involved.

In reality the main fart gas is Nitrogen and farts also contain CO2, their combustion is a bit misleading, it's the methane and the small amount of hydrogen that burns, the rest of the fart doesn't catch fire and since the rest of the fart is the main part of it, it does have some significance weight wise.

I agree, but....a fart can only exist when there's sufficent "pressure-build". Is super-compressed methane heavier than equal bodyt mass??? these questions need answering.... :lol:

DWB, been up to anything dodgy recently?

:P

Would this be the West London connection or am I misunderstanding? If it is the West London thing, too posh for me I'm more your London Borough of Hillingdon type. Mind you I did start out in Westminster. Now, did you know the London Borough of Hillingdon has more tourists than any other part of the United Kingdom?

DWB :lol:

I agree, but....a fart can only exist when there's sufficent "pressure-build". Is super-compressed methane heavier than equal bodyt mass??? these questions need answering.... :lol:

The pressure build in a human, or other animal, anus is nowhere near 'super compression' in scientific terms. I'd understand 'super-compression' to mean a state near to producing chemical changes in the gas or the state of the gas.

Now, did you know the London Borough of Hillingdon has more tourists than any other part of the United Kingdom?

Good one, DWB, although I'm not sure sitting on the tube, or a bus, or a taxi, heading through a neighbourhood and barely looking out of the windows 'cos there nothing to see, makes one a tourist. Or do you become a tourist the minute you land in a foreign place?

Now, did you know the London Borough of Hillingdon has more tourists than any other part of the United Kingdom?

Good one, DWB, although I'm not sure sitting on the tube, or a bus, or a taxi, heading through a neighbourhood and barely looking out of the windows 'cos there nothing to see, makes one a tourist. Or do you become a tourist the minute you land in a foreign place?

The sad thing is, we have the largest tourist catchment but have absolutely nothing to offer them - nothing at all - I can't list one single thing in the Borough that may be of interest to a tourist. As the signs say - "Welcome to Hillingdon - Home of Brunel University". That's it.

DWB :P

The sad thing is, we have the largest tourist catchment but have absolutely nothing to offer them - nothing at all - I can't list one single thing in the Borough that may be of interest to a tourist. As the signs say - "Welcome to Hillingdon - Home of Brunel University". That's it.

Oh, Beetle, you are guilty of a great injustice. Why, Uxbridge itself has a strong half-dozen reasons to visit.

1 - Also, they shot some scenes for 'The Sweeney' at Brunel. It was a bank robbery episode set in a concrete hell-hole, as I recall.

2 - There's a canal. With colourful barges. Lie inside a sensory deprivation tank and you could almost be in Venice.

3 - The mixed grill at the Swan and Bottle is quite passable with a gallon or two of wine. It's very passable if they undercook the pork.

4 - They play a round called 'Uxbridge English Dictionary' on "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue" on Radio 4, and even released a book with that title. People will flock to better understand the joke.

5 - Ummmm....it isn't West Drayton. Even though some of the more adventurous inhabitants of that swarming nest of reptilian atavism do occasionally make it as far as Uxbridge, they are soon scooped up and sent back.

How many did I say?

6 - There are trains every five to ten minutes that can take you away at something approaching a brisk stroll. Apart from when there are engineering works or Bob Crow (see a previous rant) or some other reason.

Trying to help

;)

Oh, Beetle, you are guilty of a great injustice. Why, Uxbridge itself has a strong half-dozen reasons to visit.

1 - Also, they shot some scenes for 'The Sweeney' at Brunel. It was a bank robbery episode set in a concrete hell-hole, as I recall.

2 - There's a canal. With colourful barges. Lie inside a sensory deprivation tank and you could almost be in Venice.

3 - The mixed grill at the Swan and Bottle is quite passable with a gallon or two of wine. It's very passable if they undercook the pork.

4 - They play a round called 'Uxbridge English Dictionary' on "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue" on Radio 4, and even released a book with that title. People will flock to better understand the joke.

5 - Ummmm....it isn't West Drayton. Even though some of the more adventurous inhabitants of that swarming nest of reptilian atavism do occasionally make it as far as Uxbridge, they are soon scooped up and sent back.

How many did I say?

6 - There are trains every five to ten minutes that can take you away at something approaching a brisk stroll. Apart from when there are engineering works or Bob Crow (see a previous rant) or some other reason.

Trying to help

Ah, the joys of Uxbridge, administrative capital of LB Hillingdon:

1 - The Sweeney - yes, I know the episode in question - I believe it was outside the student union bar was it not? Also a car chase in The Professionals across the Middlesex Showground. (Could have been the Sweeney, but I think the Pros.)

2 - The Grand Union Canal - would you walk the towpaths after dark?

3 - The Swan and Bottle (on said towpath) - haven't been there in a long time so no idea of food quality these days.

4 - Sorry I haven't a Clue

5 - West Drayton - well it could have been worse - you might have said Hayes

6 - Trains - in days yonder Uxbridge had THREE stations - 2 shut down due to lack of patronage.

And the sad thing is that I can't think of any better reasons to visit Uxbridge or Hillingdon.

Would this be the West London connection or am I misunderstanding? If it is the West London thing, too posh for me I'm more your London Borough of Hillingdon type. Mind you I did start out in Westminster. Now, did you know the London Borough of Hillingdon has more tourists than any other part of the United Kingdom?

It was ony the West London connection, honest :P

The pressure build in a human, or other animal, anus is nowhere near 'super compression' in scientific terms. I'd understand 'super-compression' to mean a state near to producing chemical changes in the gas or the state of the gas.

Thanks for all of this. I finally have an understanding of the Big Bang Theory! Still in the dark about the farts, though.

• Like 1