Godot

Ask A Deathlister

Why do the bubbles in a freshly-poured pint of Guinness (appear to) move downwards?

• Like 1

Is there any sense in seeing the new movie Speed Racer?

Is there any sense in seeing the new movie Speed Racer?

No. Nor is there any sense in watching "Speed Racer: The Next Generation" on Cartoon Network.

Why do the bubbles in a freshly-poured pint of Guinness (appear to) move downwards?

I was going to make a smart ass comment about levels of sobriety as related to perceptions, blah, blah, but then I got curious. Here's your light reading for the evening. :angry:

Do bubbles in Guinness go down?

I was going to make a smart ass comment about levels of sobriety as related to perceptions, blah, blah, but then I got curious. Here's your light reading for the evening. :angry:

Do they sink down the glass in the Southern Hemisphere as well, or do they rise??

Do they sink down the glass in the Southern Hemisphere as well, or do they rise??

I can vouch that yes, they do indeed sink [down the glass] in the Southern Hemisphere. But, I am reliably informed, when vomited into a toilet, it disappears anticlockwise past the event horizon.

I can vouch that yes, they do indeed sink [down the glass] in the Southern Hemisphere. But, I am reliably informed, when vomited into a toilet, it disappears anticlockwise past the event horizon.

Thank you for your timely response. Not another sleepless night spent pondering that question! speechless-smiley-034.gif

I've recently made the shocking discovery that it was actually Showaddywaddy who put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp, but I'm still no nearer finding out who put the ram in the ram-a-lam-a-ding-dong. Please help, it's driving me plumb crazy.

But what about the shing a ling a ling that they're starting to sing?

I'm asking on behalf of Mr H now who wants to know what happens to your snot when you die. Do corpses have snot? Are the nasal cavaties cleaned out as part of the embalming process? Does the same thing happen with a your nose as does with your bowles when you die?

If a man cannot understand you, no matter the circumstance, should you scream reality louder or should you buy him hearing aids? If a man questions your significance, and appears before you as a critic, should you reply to his remarks in a sarcastic voice which leave him speechless?

If a man cannot understand you, no matter the circumstance, should you scream reality louder or should you buy him hearing aids?

Neither. You stated that he cannot understand you, not that he cannot hear you. If he cannot understand you, then it is your communication that is at fault.

If a man questions your significance, and appears before you as a critic, should you reply to his remarks in a sarcastic voice which leave him speechless?

If the man believes you to be insignificant and criticises you, being insignificant in a sarcastic voice will not change his opinion.

If a man cannot understand you, no matter the circumstance, should you scream reality louder or should you buy him hearing aids? If a man questions your significance, and appears before you as a critic, should you reply to his remarks in a sarcastic voice which leave him speechless?

You should try talking to a woman, they're often more reasonable.

Neither. You stated that he cannot understand you, not that he cannot hear you. If he cannot understand you, then it is your communication that is at fault.

That's where you don't understand, honez. If the man 'doesn't even know the true nature of his job' but 'thinks he knows' but 'really knows nothing' and if the man asks questions which are with a 'lower case q' instead of something significant with a 'capital Q' and the man looks for answers which he expects to gather off insignificant questions, then he deserves answers which explain his magnitude. If the whole wide world honez, saw a subject a certain way 'and everybody knew what it was' but somebody comes along with questions that make the whole world look like an educated guess, shouldn't I make him appear as if he is some educated guess to the world?

That's where you don't understand, honez. If the man 'doesn't even know the true nature of his job' but 'thinks he knows' but 'really knows nothing' and if the man asks questions which are with a 'lower case q' instead of something significant with a 'capital Q' and the man looks for answers which he expects to gather off insignificant questions, then he deserves answers which explain his magnitude. If the whole wide world honez, saw a subject a certain way 'and everybody knew what it was' but somebody comes along with questions that make the whole world look like an educated guess, shouldn't I make him appear as if he is some educated guess to the world?

Q.E.D.

None of this answers my snot question

A question for those with an electrical engineering background or similar around here.....

How feasible would it be to design and market gym equipment, like exercise bikes, capable of generating electricity for use in your own home?

It'd tackle obesity, global warming and rising fuel bills head on, so it's got to be a good idea, right?

A question for those with an electrical engineering background or similar around here.....

How feasible would it be to design and market gym equipment, like exercise bikes, capable of generating electricity for use in your own home?

It'd tackle obesity, global warming and rising fuel bills head on, so it's got to be a good idea, right?

Here you go. Or how about this one? Happy pedaling.

Here you go. Or how about this one? Happy pedaling.

Thanks, the one thing I don't understand now, is why they haven't taken off as a mass market item. I'm considering buying a turbo trainer for me and the young 'un for this winter. Summat that'd light the house as well would be ideal.

Not that I'm in Live Chat here very often but I tried logging on this week only to discover it needs a different version of Java. Loading this is a problem because it needs files larger than my AOL will download.

Presumably there's some simple solution, right?

Not that I'm in Live Chat here very often but I tried logging on this week only to discover it needs a different version of Java. Loading this is a problem because it needs files larger than my AOL will download.

Presumably there's some simple solution, right?

Change your ISP ;)

What is the best way to get my desktop computer wireless? I have just got broadband, which came with a nice wireless router thingy, but our phone socket is in the hall, and the computer is in a different room. We don't want to have cables trailing throughout the house (they would be FAR too interesting to our two year old), so I thought that I could buy a wireless adapter for the PC so it can talk to the wireless router. As far as I understand it, there are two ways to do this, I could buy a PCI card with a little antenna on it, or a USB wireless device. Which would give me the faster data rate? Are there any other reasons why one would be preferable to the other?

Many thanks, o wise techno-savvy sages of the Deathlist.

What is the best way to get my desktop computer wireless? I have just got broadband, which came with a nice wireless router thingy, but our phone socket is in the hall, and the computer is in a different room. We don't want to have cables trailing throughout the house (they would be FAR too interesting to our two year old), so I thought that I could buy a wireless adapter for the PC so it can talk to the wireless router. As far as I understand it, there are two ways to do this, I could buy a PCI card with a little antenna on it, or a USB wireless device. Which would give me the faster data rate? Are there any other reasons why one would be preferable to the other?

If you go down the wireless router route, I'd strongly suggest contacting your broadband provider to confirm what type of router you require. (For example, Sky and Virgin use different routers.) I have a PCI card in my PC and a USB wireless device on the laptop and the response/download time difference is negligable.

Wireless and all this mumbo jumbo technology will end up making me redundant.

If you go down the wireless router route, I'd strongly suggest contacting your broadband provider to confirm what type of router you require. (For example, Sky and Virgin use different routers.) I have a PCI card in my PC and a USB wireless device on the laptop and the response/download time difference is negligable.

Many thanks for the rapid response. I did say I already have broadband, and a wireless router, so this won't be an issue. Thanks for the advice about download differences.

Wireless and all this mumbo jumbo technology will end up making me redundant.

Very with you on this one. I just don't like the idea the net is in the airwaves. Skeptic as I am, I did try the wireless route and it proved so unreliable that I'm back with the old cable trailing down the stairs till I can find a better route up though the loft and down through a fiited cupboard into our internal garage and through the hall wall. How much would that cost LFN?

• Like 1