Godot

Ask A Deathlister

Summoning the anoraks :lol:....

@Spade_Cooley @Cat O'Falk @Bibliogryphon

You seem like the people who know your way round spreadsheets....

What's the formula for calculating lifespan between two dates in google sheets (preferably one that works with dates prior to 1900 and having the results in Years, Months and Days)?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

Summoning the anoraks :lol:....

@Spade_Cooley @Cat O'Falk @Bibliogryphon

You seem like the people who know your way round spreadsheets....

What's the formula for calculating lifespan between two dates in google sheets (preferably one that works with dates prior to 1900 and having the results in Years, Months and Days)?

Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbzon-MIuuQ

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cat O'Falk said:

Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbzon-MIuuQ

Essentially that but without the three separate cells so you just end up with the end product from the original datedif calculation...

This is what I've got at the minute fom messing about but it doesn't work. Because I'm an idiot

=DATEDIF(C2,D2, "Y")&"years" =DATEDIF(C2,D2, "M")&"months" =DATEDIF(C2,D2, "D")&"days"

9 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Essentially that but without the three separate cells so you just end up with the end product from the original datedif calculation...

This is what I've got at the minute fom messing about but it doesn't work. Because I'm an idiot

=DATEDIF(C2,D2, "Y")&"years" =DATEDIF(C2,D2, "M")&"months" =DATEDIF(C2,D2, "D")&"days"

Nevermind I've solved it.

This is the formula in case anyone else needs it or is ploughing their longlist into a spreadsheet.....

C2 = Birth Date

D2 = Death Date / Today if they're alive

=datedif(C2,D2,"Y")&" Years "&datedif(C2,D2,"YM")&" months & "& datedif(C2,D2,"MD")&" days"

https://infoinspired.com/google-docs/spreadsheet/google-sheets-calculate-age-from-birthday/

Has it never happened to you that, independently on what you search, Google is not able to find "last hour/last 24 hours" results when you use the search tools? It's been happening from yesterday morning for the first time, and it seems not to be linked with accounts, or anonymous navigation, or Browser I'm using (Google Chrome).

1 hour ago, drol said:

Has it never happened to you that, independently on what you search, Google is not able to find "last hour/last 24 hours" results when you use the search tools? It's been happening from yesterday morning for the first time, and it seems not to be linked with accounts, or anonymous navigation, or Browser I'm using (Google Chrome).

I'm using Google Chrome and they both work for me.

59 minutes ago, Cat O'Falk said:

I'm using Google Chrome and they both work for me.

Yes, I suspected it is my problem. Or my zone problem. Wait and it usually will work again.

4 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

For you, who was the least deahtlisty people to ever be on the list ?

Gord Downie

Erroll Christie

Ruby Muhammed 

Fergie Frederikson 

Johnny Clegg

22 minutes ago, Sean said:

Fergie Frederikson 

Deathlisty enough I think...loads of people know of the seminal works of Toto.

6 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Deathlisty enough I think...loads of people know of the seminal works of Toto.

Aye, none of which he actually sings on?

There's been a few "who they?" picks but they've never gone for someone as utterly unfamous as Dai Llewellyn since 2009. And in the haste to grab him for the list, they forgot Tony Hart, all round A lister who died (of well recorded ill health) on nearly the same day!

Ruby "met Malcolm X once" Muhammed just ahead of Fergie "was in Toto about five years after anyone stopped listening to them" Frederikson 

4 hours ago, msc said:

There's been a few "who they?" picks but they've never gone for someone as utterly unfamous as Dai Llewellyn since 2009. And in the haste to grab him for the list, they forgot Tony Hart, all round A lister who died (of well recorded ill health) on nearly the same day!

Also missing Patrick "Danger Man" "The Prisoner" McGoohan, who did die on the same day.

He would also have made it a hat trick of Patricks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toast said:

Also missing Patrick "Danger Man" "The Prisoner" McGoohan, who did die on the same day.

He would also have made it a hat trick of Patricks.

John Mortimer who got flagged up a few times the year before due to failing health died on the 16th January too. And while possibly not DL fame level (?), Ricardo "KHAAAAN" Montalban died in that same week. Got curious so looked it up and David Vine died that week too!

Got to be a rarity where 5 far more famous people than the DL success die in the same week...

I red about Eduard Von Falz Fein who died on the 17th of november 2018 at the age of 106. He didn’t die because of his age but because of a fire accident in his housse. I find it quit impressive to see that his age is not the  reason of his death. Do you know some old celebrities who died because or something else than their age or illness ?

47 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I red about Eduard Von Falz Fein who died on the 17th of november 2018 at the age of 106. He didn’t die because of his age but because of a fire accident in his housse. I find it quit impressive to see that his age is not the  reason of his death. Do you know some old celebrities who died because or something else than their age or illness ?

John Nash. 2015. 

10 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

John Nash. 2015. 

Yes, to quote the immortal words of new DDP co-host Gcreptile when that one got announced: Fucking OMG.

Profound and spoke for the community there. :D

17 minutes ago, msc said:

Yes, to quote the immortal words of new DDP co-host Gcreptile when that one got announced: Fucking OMG.

Profound and spoke for the community there. :D

Yeah it must have been a big surprise here and the first dead by accident on the dl, isn’t it ? 
but were they older celebrities like that ? I mean, John Nash was not that old, not as old as Von Falz Fein ! 

2 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Buddy Holly..... Plane crash

Paul Walker.......car crash

etc, etc, etc. 

Or am I not understanding your question? 

8 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

etc, etc, etc. 

I think you need to read it again. 

30 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

etc, etc, etc. 

19 minutes ago, Toast said:

I think you need to read it again. 

Define old. To a teenager, old is 40 something.  To me, old is 80+.

Old for me is 85+ but honestly i meant really old like 90-95+

8 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Well, there is a grim one. Robert Lees was a screenwriter who worked with Abbott and Costello and withstood McCarthy era blacklisting, only to be gruesomely murdered by a spree killer on the verge of his 92nd birthday.

Also that Polish plane crash in 2010 that wiped out the entire government also killed a WW2 resistance leader vet who was in his 90s.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Sure, but the example he gave was someone who was 106 years old.  So your response citing a 22 year old was a bit out, by any standard.

1 minute ago, Toast said:

Sure, but the example he gave was someone who was 106 years old.  So your response citing a 22 year old was a bit out, by any standard.

But, didn't he die before his time? 

• Haha 1