Godot

Ask A Deathlister

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Toast said:

Well. I've placed the statistics there now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Passwords.

Google is nagging me to change them.

image.png.c0300ecaef6d332bd5b6657c156bcb17.png

The vast majority of these are of no importance, they are sites that I have had to register to read or post and then rarely if ever visit again.  I have no recollection at all of some of them.

I guess I should make sure that anything involving money should have a unique password.  There are a number of ticketing sites, for instance.

Should I be concerned about anything else?

Saw someone post this as a joke - how effective is it in real life, anyone know?

127121467_1570838279779195_5992567439991

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Saw someone post this as a joke - how effective is it in real life, anyone know?

127121467_1570838279779195_5992567439991

It's honestly scary.

So a buddy of mine, who never uses circular saws, had to help his dad with something. They talked about it and what kind of saw it was. Later that evening, he got ads on facebook for the excact same models and he has never searched for anything related to it. 

And back in December, I talked to my brother about going to a restaurant in a different city from us, and Reddit started giving me ads for it.

Meanwhile, does anyone have a view on my password question a couple of posts up?

It makes you wonder if it's worth having passwords at all if we're all being spied on to this degree.

21 minutes ago, Genfærd said:

It's honestly scary.

So a buddy of mine, who never uses circular saws, had to help his dad with something. They talked about it and what kind of saw it was. Later that evening, he got ads on facebook for the excact same models and he has never searched for anything related to it. 

And back in December, I talked to my brother about going to a restaurant in a different city from us, and Reddit started giving me ads for it.

A guy I worked with but didn't know that well had a habit of muttering absolute obscenities to do with women and farmyard animals into his phone

I'm assuming he got what he wanted too, then

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Toast said:

Meanwhile, does anyone have a view on my password question a couple of posts up?

It makes you wonder if it's worth having passwords at all if we're all being spied on to this degree.

That's why in Denmark, we have a system where everything that has to do with money, requires a password only you can have access to in the form of a card with unique codes. For example, if I want to buy something I will need to sign in using the code. I have mine in paperform, it gives me a random number that I need to find the code for to process it.

nemid.gif.jpeg?itok=5Sh0SJHu

I assume, in your case, that Google is protective due to reports of compromised websites, but as long your password has at least one capital letter, 2 or 3 numbers and a special sign such as € or $, you're safe. My passwords has been compromised for years on different sites but the people obtaining your passwords must know your email and logins to sites like Amazon etc. to even use them. And as a rule of thumb, always have a 2-factor authorization for sites with your credit card on it.

39 minutes ago, Toast said:

Concerned? Not really, I'd imagine everyone is the same given that more and more of these bastard sites want an email just to view the front page it seems.  It's not that hard to clean up, just a bit tedious.

I cleaned mine up and for the same reason really. Since I was doing it I also finally got around to a using password vault so that each site has a different (strong) password all locked away behind one immensely strong (and best unforgettable...) master password.

I used Bitwarden because it doesn't charge for sync across devices  But there are several others that are free to use with some limitations, LastPass is a popular one and reportedly easier to use than bitwarden which is a bit geeky apparently.

• Thanks 1

On 23/11/2020 at 08:19, Genfærd said:

It's honestly scary.

I used to watch ‘Shark Tank’ a lot.  I noticed on one occasion the next day I had the usual pop up adverts on FB and/or Google... what was unusual was that a few of the ads were for products that were launched on that show.  

• Like 1

Is there a thread for predicting the death of someone famous on Xmas Day itself? Just wondering, as a few years ago a neighbour in my village pegged it on Xmas Day and he is forever remembered at this time of year. Great way to go if you are a celeb seeking immortality. 

On 23/04/2020 at 06:14, Sir Cunto said:

[posted by my cousin on FB.  I said I know a few U.K. folks :D let’s give it a shot]
_________

Does anyone in the UK know what happened to "The Enigma Hut"?
They were making beautiful Enigma machine replicas.
Then one day, they were gone.

90836365-9F66-49EF-9F0D-B7A0DC5E0BED.jpeg

I've no idea why but they went out of business on 19th February 2019.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/10640681

• Thanks 1

Have any of you wondered what dinosaur meat would taste like? Surprised nobody in the Jurassic Park universe created a Dinosaur Steakhouse business.

5 hours ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

Have any of you wondered what dinosaur meat would taste like? Surprised nobody in the Jurassic Park universe created a Dinosaur Steakhouse business.

Probably tastes like chicken.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2021 at 04:21, TheSpinosaurus said:

They never got that far. Too busy with trying not to get killed. Though the new movies had a big tourist attraction so you never know what they served in those cafes...

A question for the cat hates among you. It's something I have always been curious about, is it just the domestic moggy you hate or do you also dislike bag cats as well, lions, tigers etc, what about the Scottish wildcat?   

9 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

A question for the cat hates among you. It's something I have always been curious about, is it just the domestic moggy you hate or do you also dislike bag cats as well, lions, tigers etc, what about the Scottish wildcat?   

Susan Calman???

40 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

Just the domestic moggy. Tigers are cool.

And it's a one-way dislike too. There's a house party and the house cat walks into a room of cat lovers? Guaranteed its going to ignore all of them and make a beeline to try and catch my attention. This has happened a lot.

21 minutes ago, msc said:

Just the domestic moggy. Tigers are cool.

And it's a one-way dislike too. There's a house party and the house cat walks into a room of cat lovers? Guaranteed its going to ignore all of them and make a beeline to try and catch my attention. This has happened a lot.

Interesting, thanks. I have heard other cat haters say the same thing about cats always making a beeline for them.  In a similar vein it's always me that birds tend to fly into. 

Does anyone know what I have done to the settings on the Edge browser that is now not letting me see any video clips on the BBC website?

I don't recall changing anything and I can see clips on all other sites that I have tried but just not on the BBC site.

I can use other browsers and see the clips but not using Edge.

On 06/02/2021 at 13:33, torbrexbones said:

Does anyone know what I have done to the settings on the Edge browser that is now not letting me see any video clips on the BBC website?

I don't recall changing anything and I can see clips on all other sites that I have tried but just not on the BBC site.

Mine won’t let me watch any YouTube vis-a-vis embedded links.  
If I open up a browser to Youtube website and find the video I can watch it no problem.  Looks like Bill Gates has decided to protect us from what is deemed bad for us.

SC

• Like 1

On 06/02/2021 at 19:33, torbrexbones said:

Update from Microsoft of Windoes has let me watch the clips on BBC again, still no idea why it was just that site that was not playing them on Edge.

What the hell happened to the thread ‘Deathlist Under 45’ ?