Godot

Ask A Deathlister

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

What the hell happened to the thread ‘Deathlist Under 45’ ?  

It aged.

Grey's Anatomy, 17 seasons? How? And why?

42 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

So oddly enough I was swapping messages with someone who has binged the lot and claims to love it. The thing being she's notably intelligent, highly creative in her working life and I'd never have guessed she was a fan, or - indeed - had the time to watch all the episodes. Also, she's fairly alternative in other tastes up to and including actually enjoying slim volumes of hard to fathom modern poetry. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Here... a crazy fan or something. :P

When I have had a hard day, my husband puts him arm around me and allows me to watch 3 episodes. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I see... the mental relaxation for the intellectual. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I see... the mental relaxation for the intellectual. Thanks!

Aye, for the intellectual who hasn't discovered the Deathlist!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I watched the first 15 seasons a little while ago (see What do watch thread...) and I think I said at the time, there's so much to dislike about it, yet it remains watchable (to me at least). I'm currently watching s16 on Prime, and like everything else that has run multiple seasons, some of the storylines are a bit 'meh', some of the characters are a bit unlikeable, its keeping me entertained.

According to wikipedia, its run for 377 episodes., so still a way to go to catch up with casualty, currently at 1199 episodes. (How, Why??)

• Like 1

Can anybody explain Best Offer on Ebay?

I don't do much selling on there, but have some things to dispose of which may be of interest to collectors.  So far I've listed three items and inadvertently enabled the "best offer" option.  (Not "Buy It Now").

One of the items (started at £4.99) attracted an offer of £20 which was valid for 24 hours.  I then got another offer of £10.  I was going to let the second chap have a chance to up his offer but found that my counter-offer would be valid for 48 hours - by which time of course my option to accept the other offer would have expired.

Long story short, I sold it to the £20 bidder, but I have no idea how this is supposed to work if you get multiple offers.  I don't know whether it's worth doing or not. 

1 minute ago, Toast said:

Can anybody explain Best Offer on Ebay?

I don't do much selling on there, but have some things to dispose of which may be of interest to collectors.  So far I've listed three items and inadvertently enabled the "best offer" option.  (Not "Buy It Now").

One of the items (started at £4.99) attracted an offer of £20 which was valid for 24 hours.  I then got another offer of £10.  I was going to let the second chap have a chance to up his offer but found that my counter-offer would be valid for 48 hours - by which time of course my option to accept the other offer would have expired.

Long story short, I sold it to the £20 bidder, but I have no idea how this is supposed to work if you get multiple offers.  I don't know whether it's worth doing or not. 

It's a bit odd. You can use it to let people make you an offer below the asking price which you are not obliged to accept but it is usually when people want to avoid a bidding war so they will make you their top offer to keep  others out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

It's a bit odd. You can use it to let people make you an offer below the asking price which you are not obliged to accept but it is usually when people want to avoid a bidding war so they will make you their top offer to keep  others out

Yes, and I've now found where they hid the tickbox for opting out.   Not sure what to do for the best really.  It's annoying that the timings aren't the same for offer and counter-offer.

I'm selling some Victorian photographs, mostly of people and mostly unnamed, but there are punters out there who collect these for various reasons.

Interestingly the offer an item sold for is not disclosed post-sale - it just shows the original listing price. So not so helpful when you're looking at past sales to get an idea of how to price an item.  These are not valuable, but occasionally someone seems to want one enough to pay over the odds.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Yes, and I've now found where they hid the tickbox for opting out.   Not sure what to do for the best really.  It's annoying that the timings aren't the same for offer and counter-offer.

I'm selling some Victorian photographs, mostly of people and mostly unnamed, but there are punters out there who collect these for various reasons.

Interestingly the offer an item sold for is not disclosed post-sale - it just shows the original listing price. So not so helpful when you're looking at past sales to get an idea of how to price an item.  These are not valuable, but occasionally someone seems to want one enough to pay over the odds.

There are sites that allow you to see the Best Offer price of sold listings. 

https://130point.com/sales/

• Thanks 1

In history, which song has the biggest disparity between its chart success and weirdness of time signature? "Turn it On Again" by Genesis? "Here Comes the Sun"?  "Heart of Glass"? I'm not a muso so I'll bow to any better knowledge.

"Hey Ya!" by Outkast?

Black Betty is all over the place!

Golden Brown by the Stranglers was unknown in the States but I’m guessing made the charts in the U.K.  it’s kinda 3/4 and 4/2 or something.  It’s a fine mess, and a fantastic song.

SC

• Like 1

@Spade_Cooley along the lines of your question, but flipping the script some, are a number of songs that are in 6/8 time but the artist calls it a ‘waltz’.  Not much in this world can be more annoying.  The most glaring abuse of this was over 8-1/2 minutes of the misnamed ‘The Waltz’ by Dexy’s Midnight Runners.  It’s like no one in the entire band knows what a waltz is.  Fekkin morons.

Right, I may be missing something, I just don't know (a la Mavis Wilton).

I'm not a member of YouTube and never want to be. But at some point they've stopped showing the date when the video was uploaded...or have they? I know you can probably go round the houses, but I like to drop by things that catch my eye. So I click on a vid and I'm watching and think, is this new? Then I try and see when it was uploaded and...nothing. 

I'm obviously going wrong somewhere...or am I?

31 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I'm not a member of YouTube and never want to be. But at some point they've stopped showing the date when the video was uploaded...or have they? I know you can probably go round the houses, but I like to drop by things that catch my eye. So I click on a vid and I'm watching and think, is this new? Then I try and see when it was uploaded and...nothing. 

I'm a bit confused Willz as I just checked 3 random videos and the upload date is on all of them. Are you using the mobile version?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

What platform/OS are you using?  I also tried 3 random clips (well, pseudo-random); two had a date, one didn't. So I don't know.

New Clip.png

Old Clip.png

V Old Snip.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, msc said:

I'm a bit confused Willz as I just checked 3 random videos and the upload date is on all of them. Are you using the mobile version?

I'm on PC using Google Chrome.

I've had another look...sometimes if I enlarge the zoom the date appears, sometimes if I reduce the zoom, it's there, but on 90% mostly not showing.

3 minutes ago, time said:

What platform/OS are you using?  I also tried 3 random clips (well, pseudo-random); two had a date, one didn't. So I don't know.

New Clip.png

Old Clip.png

V Old Snip.png

I checked the one I was looking at with no date....and the bloody date has appeared on 110% zoom. At least I know where I'm looking for it now, thanks!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

I'm on PC using Google Chrome.

I've had another look...sometimes if I enlarge the zoom the date appears, sometimes if I reduce the zoom, it's there, but on 90% mostly not showing.

I checked the one I was looking at with no date....and the bloody date has appeared on 110% zoom. At least I know where I'm looking for it now, thanks!

My original post was made on my old laptop running Chrome; I just looked on a different laptop (newer, slightly bigger screen, running vivaldi), and the Karl Denver one is now showing the date! So I still don't know.

• Like 1

I may have asked this before, but every time I visit Instagram (not that often) I get an email telling me

We noticed a login from a device you don't usually use.

Now this is bollocks, because when I signed up to Instagram I was on my laptop, and I have never used any other device when visiting Instagram.

So why the fuck do they keep saying this?

It also happens when I browse Netflix on my laptop.  I only watch stuff on the TV, but never use both at the same time.  Yet whenever I have a quick look at what's new on the laptop, I get a bloody email telling me someone's using my login.  I'm allowed to use more than one device so why can't they remember both of them?

Is Spiller (of "Groovejet" ft Sophie Ellis Bextor fame) the tallest person to ever have a UK #1 single? He's 6'9. Long John Baldry was 6'7. I can't think of anyone else who'd come close.

Edit: Mick Fleetwood is 6'6. Pino Palladino, legendary session bassist, is 6'8 and has played with nearly everyone so he's surely had more than one #1 appearance, but he was definitely on Ed Sheeran's #1 single "Perfect".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Is Spiller (of "Groovejet" ft Sophie Ellis Bextor) fame the tallest person to ever have a UK #1 single? He's 6'9. Long John Baldry was 6'7. I can't think of anyone else who'd come close.

Edit: Mick Fleetwood is 6'6. Pino Palladino, legendary session bassist, is 6'8 and has played with nearly everyone so he's surely had more than one #1 appearance, but he was definitely on Ed Sheeran's #1 single "Perfect".

In my addled mind Mr Blobby was an 8’ giant, but sadly google images suggest he was a relative shortarse. He did have a #1 and three theme parks though.

And who’s the shortest? A dwarf? A munchkin? A baby? Bono?

5 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

And who’s the shortest? A dwarf? A munchkin? A baby? Bono?

Bob the builder? Mr. Oizo?